GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   5 micron filter prefilter and 3000 gallon pond. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/39244-5-micron-filter-prefilter-3000-gallon-pond.html)

Mickey 04-08-2003 04:04 AM

5 micron filter prefilter and 3000 gallon pond.

I got tired of the cleaning the tiny pump trap daily on my Sequence Pump so
I bought and industrial pump trap it is 48" tall and holds 4.8 us gallons of
water. You can by what ever micron size filter sock you want they are $4.50.
I hope this helps clear up the dirt in the pond I can only see the fish when
they are at the top. I wonder how long it will take to clog especially for
the first couple of days.I will let everyone know how it works.

Steve J. Noll 04-08-2003 02:42 PM

5 micron filter prefilter and 3000 gallon pond.

I'll be anxious to hear your results.
I also have a large pre-filter, although not that tall (Aqua
Ultraviolet Ultra Leaf Basket) that also will accept
industrial sock filters (trade size 1.)
I just changed from a 600 micron to 1000 micron sock
as the current algae growth was requiring hosing out
the sock every couple days. I don't have much in the way
of dirt in the pond as I've planted my lilies in aquatic soil.
The water is always clear.
I wish I didn't have to clean the sock so often, but it is good
to know that I'm keeping a ton of algae from potentially
clogging the bead filter. During the winter things are different
as the sock rarely has much of anything in it.

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 21:54:52 -0500, "Mickey" wrote:

I got tired of the cleaning the tiny pump trap daily on my Sequence Pump so
I bought and industrial pump trap it is 48" tall and holds 4.8 us gallons of
water. You can by what ever micron size filter sock you want they are $4.50.
I hope this helps clear up the dirt in the pond I can only see the fish when
they are at the top. I wonder how long it will take to clog especially for
the first couple of days.I will let everyone know how it works.

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California (zone 10)

Sam Hopkins 04-08-2003 03:02 PM

5 micron filter prefilter and 3000 gallon pond.

5 microns will clog pretty quick. You should put a couple of them in line
and start at 30 microns, then 15, then 5, etc. I think the normal sponge
filters for ponds/aquariums are 50 microns.

Sam

john rutz 04-08-2003 04:05 PM

Mickey wrote:
I got tired of the cleaning the tiny pump trap daily on my Sequence Pump so
I bought and industrial pump trap it is 48" tall and holds 4.8 us gallons of
water. You can by what ever micron size filter sock you want they are $4.50.
I hope this helps clear up the dirt in the pond I can only see the fish when
they are at the top. I wonder how long it will take to clog especially for
the first couple of days.I will let everyone know how it works.

I tryed that once it took about a day to clog ( i didnt buy the tower
just tyhe sock and put in on the end of a 2 in pipe with a 1800 gph
pump after two days the sock had swelled to three times its origional size
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up