Old 05-08-2003, 04:20 AM
XedOut

Default best price for koi food on the net??

im not looking for the premium food, maybe something with color
enhancers but the main thing is price, any suggestions? links?
Old 05-08-2003, 04:20 AM
Paul in Redland

Try looking at:

http://www.koifood.com/index2.htm

Paul

Old 05-08-2003, 07:02 PM
BenignVanilla

"XedOut" wrote in message
thanks for the links!, anyone else with a suggestion for bulk food??

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 00:29:00 GMT, XedOut wrote:

im not looking for the premium food, maybe something with color
enhancers but the main thing is price, any suggestions? links?

I am currently experimenting with Purina dog food.

BV.

Old 05-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Andrew Burgess

"BenignVanilla" writes:

"XedOut" wrote in message
.. .
thanks for the links!, anyone else with a suggestion for bulk food??

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 00:29:00 GMT, XedOut wrote:

im not looking for the premium food, maybe something with color
enhancers but the main thing is price, any suggestions? links?

I am currently experimenting with Purina dog food.

I wonder if catfish food is cheaper?

Old 05-08-2003, 09:02 PM
BenignVanilla

"Andrew Burgess" wrote in message
"BenignVanilla" writes:

"XedOut" wrote in message
.. .
thanks for the links!, anyone else with a suggestion for bulk food??

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 00:29:00 GMT, XedOut wrote:

im not looking for the premium food, maybe something with color
enhancers but the main thing is price, any suggestions? links?

I am currently experimenting with Purina dog food.

I wonder if catfish food is cheaper?

Maybe...but right now...I have an un-ending supply of dog chow. *laugh*

BV.

Old 05-08-2003, 10:12 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

XedOut wrote:

thanks for the links!, anyone else with a suggestion for bulk food??

How many fish are you feeding? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 05-08-2003, 10:22 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 15:54:11 -0400, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

I am currently experimenting with Purina dog food.

I wonder if catfish food is cheaper?

Maybe...but right now...I have an un-ending supply of dog chow. *laugh*

BV.

Big Sigh Jeopardy answer: "How to fill your filter with an over abundance
of fish poop. or How many ways to put rotting stuff into your pond, or..."
you get my drift. It just isn't healthy for the critters or the pond in
general, but you might have guessed that after the oil film that comes off
such foods on to the surface of the water. ???? ~ jan (Ye Ole Queen does
not approve.) ;o)

Old 05-08-2003, 10:22 PM
K30a

Maybe that's how I can get the watergardening labradors to swim - I'll toss
their dog chow into the pond! After all they've eaten two containers of koi
kibble... (It is sooooooo embarrassing having labradors that won't swim.)

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...ors/index.html
Old 05-08-2003, 11:42 PM
john rutz

Andrew Burgess wrote:
"BenignVanilla" writes:

. ..

--
I tried catfish food, the Koi liked it but the smaller ones had trouble
as the nuggets are three times bigger than Mazuris pond nuggets and just

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 06-08-2003, 04:22 AM
Tom La Bron

Andrew,

50lbs of sinking Purina catfish food runs $13.67, picked up at the feed
mill.

Tom L.L.
============
"Andrew Burgess" wrote in message
"BenignVanilla" writes:

.. .

Old 06-08-2003, 02:32 PM
BenignVanilla

wrote:

I am currently experimenting with Purina dog food.

I wonder if catfish food is cheaper?

Maybe...but right now...I have an un-ending supply of dog chow. *laugh*

BV.

Big Sigh Jeopardy answer: "How to fill your filter with an over

abundance
of fish poop. or How many ways to put rotting stuff into your pond,

or..."
you get my drift. It just isn't healthy for the critters or the pond in
general, but you might have guessed that after the oil film that comes off
such foods on to the surface of the water. ???? ~ jan (Ye Ole Queen does
not approve.) ;o)

snip

I looked at expensive koi food at PerSmart and the main ingrediant was
something like Bulk protein. This dog food can't be much different.

BV.

Old 06-08-2003, 02:32 PM
GACinMass

Sometimes you can find a good deal on bulk food on eBay (just don't bid against
me!).
~ Gary
Old 07-08-2003, 04:31 AM

I looked at expensive koi food at PerSmart and the main ingrediant was
something like Bulk protein. This dog food can't be much different.

Jo Ann and Steve got 77 koi in their big pond. they range from 5-20 lbs each
Steve gives them 2 pints of food per night (which weighs 16 oz), combination of Ogata
and Rangen. the RETAIL cost of feeding their monsters is:
6.5 cents per day per koi
45 cents per week per koi
23.63 bucks per year per koi cause they feed 365 days a year down there in Ala and
they heat their ponds. The koi are monsters and are growing.

their 5 lb fish are around 18-22", so it averages out maybe to around 0.25 lbs per
inch for those big fish.
a quick and dirty estimate of the average is they got 940 lbs of koi and feed 16 oz
of food per day.

I am not sure how many koi I got. Lets say 25 koi from 6-14", I know they arent 0.25
lbs per inch, but lets say my 25 fish weigh in at 40 lbs. I should be feeding 1/24th
as much food as they do, or 2/3 of an ounce per day. Well, I think I feed more than
that cause I been feeding a less than 1/2 cup or around 1.2 oz of food per day.

Last year I bought
5 lbs of Rangen ($4/lb) $20.00
5 lbs of Ogata (5.50/lb) 27.50
5lbs of romet B ($4) 20.00
67.50
I had Ogata left this spring been using it and will run out this week.
I have romet B left and I gave away at least half to people with sick fish.

I started feeding around April 15 when the water is above 55oF.
I quit feeding around Oct 8th. I didnt keep records on first and last feeding. But
this was around 25 weeks I fed the koi. Lets say 24 weeks cause I forget to feed
them every day. So 24 weeks X 7 days X 1.2 ounces per day = 201 ounces per year or
12.6 lbs. If I feed them according to Steve's rate, I should feed 110 ounces per
year or 6.9 lbs of food.
However, I feed 25 koi 12.6 lbs of food per year, average price is $5/lb or so comes
out to $2.50 per koi. Feeding at Steve's rate 6.9 lbs x $5 = 34.50 or $1.38 per koi
per year.
It doesnt add up right, I have more food left over so I may have missed more feedings
than I thought or not feed 1/2 cup. I dunno.
Yeah, that comes out to about 1/2 lb per year per fish.
High quality koi food is around $5 per lb.
High quality koi food has more digestible nutrition per ounce so I dont have to feed
as much and there is less waste coming out the other end to foul my water and foul my
filters. I will feed my fish what Brett feeds his. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:36 PM
XedOut

thanks again, im looking for 20-50 lbs range, ebay sounds
interesting, didnt think of that.

Old 09-08-2003, 02:37 PM

ds (Thu, 07 Aug 2003 03:31:46 GMT):
5 lbs of Rangen ($4/lb) $20.00
High quality koi food is around $5 per lb.

Where do you get rangen at that price? 'Round these here parts it
goes for about $12 per 25-pound bag (koi staple), or $0.50 a pound.
Whop! Set the wrong date in my time machine. That's was last year's.
This year it's about $15 per bag. Delivery and package cost is more
than the food. 50 lbs is about $70 or so, delivered. Generally the
cook was less than a month before delivery, sometimes only a week.

--
SLOTHEAD