Old 05-08-2003, 04:20 AM
matt clark

Default how to get above ground pump to work on a below ground pond.

Hello,
I am in the process of installing a pond. it is about 15x8x4. I
already have the plumbing ran except for the skimmer. I am using a 4"
drain and using mortar for the lining. I already purchased the pump.
it is a 1 1/2 hp hayward aboveground pool pump. I recently poured the
slab for the pump and filter to sit on. When i bought the pump i was
told that it wouldnt be a big deal to prime it if it sits above the
water line. The more i read the more i get frightened. Once i install
the pump on the slab it will probably be about 8" above the water
line. Does anybody have any idea of how to prime this setup?

Another question i have is on the skimmer. Anybody have recomendations
on what skimmer to use for a mortar lined pond? or any installation
tips on it. or if i should even go through the hassle of putting one
in. Also how would i seal it up . along with the 4" drain at the
bottom.

Sorry for the rambling. So many questions im getting a headache.
Thanks in advance for the help...
Old 05-08-2003, 04:21 AM
FRANK TUCCI/EL BARRIO SNEAKERS PLUS INC

I'm using an above the ground pump just like you. To prime it just make
sure there is no air in the line and it should pump up by itself. When I
first put this pump in, I had a little trouble priming it, but for some
reason now I just turn the switch or plug it in a few times and the pressure
comes up to standard and works fine. I guess the turning on and off a few
times removes or dislodges the air pockets. I'm very happy with the way its
working

FT

om...

Old 05-08-2003, 04:21 AM
Iain Miller

"matt clark" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
I am in the process of installing a pond. it is about 15x8x4. I
already have the plumbing ran except for the skimmer. I am using a 4"
drain and using mortar for the lining. I already purchased the pump.
it is a 1 1/2 hp hayward aboveground pool pump. I recently poured the
slab for the pump and filter to sit on. When i bought the pump i was
told that it wouldnt be a big deal to prime it if it sits above the
water line. The more i read the more i get frightened. Once i install
the pump on the slab it will probably be about 8" above the water
line. Does anybody have any idea of how to prime this setup?

If its anything like most of the swimming pool pumps I've seen it'll have a
plastic lid that comes off with a couple of wing nuts. You just open it up &
pour a load of water into the chamber & then seal it up & start the pump -
it'll cough & splutter a bit but will settle fairly quickly & it should go
OK. Almost all swimming pool pumps are above the water level - I'd say don't
worry about it!

Another question i have is on the skimmer. Anybody have recomendations
on what skimmer to use for a mortar lined pond? or any installation
tips on it. or if i should even go through the hassle of putting one
in. Also how would i seal it up . along with the 4" drain at the
bottom.

Can't help with this one, no experience ! (Sorry)

I.

Old 05-08-2003, 04:21 AM
RichToyBox

For the pump, put a backflow check valve in the intake line, below water
level to keep the water from flowing backwards from the pump to the pond.
This will allow you to fill the strainer/priming pot, and the pump will pick
up and go. Then when you have to clean the strainer, you should be able to
keep the water in the pot, and as soon as the top is secured, the pump can
be turned on.

PondSweep makes a skimmer that I use. It can be bought with a collar for
going through a concrete wall. The instructions that came with mine were
very good, but I just have it attached to a liner. The skimmer really cuts
down on the work of the bottom drain. I highly recommend both.
--
RichToyBox

Old 05-08-2003, 04:21 AM
Paul in Redland

Sell the pool pump on ebay and use the money to buy a POND pump. You'll be
glad you did and you'll save yourself a small fortune on your electric bill.

Paul

Old 05-08-2003, 04:21 AM
jammer

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 19:27:15 -0700, "Paul in Redland"
wrote:

Sell the pool pump on ebay and use the money to buy a POND pump. You'll be
glad you did and you'll save yourself a small fortune on your electric bill.

Paul

Does that go for a hot tub pump as well?
Old 05-08-2003, 03:42 PM
john rutz

wrote:

Sell the pool pump on ebay and use the money to buy a POND pump. You'll be
glad you did and you'll save yourself a small fortune on your electric bill.

Paul

Does that go for a hot tub pump as well?

--
hot tub pumps are not designed to run 24/7/

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 06-08-2003, 02:02 AM
Paul in Redland

Yup. Both pool and spa ( hot tub ) pumps are designed to move water at a
relatively high pressure, compared to a pond pump. It takes watts, read
dollars, to do this. Ponds don't have the higher pressure needs that pools
and spas require and so pond pumps are designed to move water at a much
lower head (pressure). The savings in electricity between the two types of
pumps can be dramatic, often enough to pay for the pump in less than one
year! Even if you got a pool pump for free, you'd be money ahead to buy a
pond pump. Same goes for sump pumps.

Paul

Old 06-08-2003, 02:12 AM
jammer

Thank you for your response.

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 17:53:39 -0700, "Paul in Redland"
wrote:

Yup. Both pool and spa ( hot tub ) pumps are designed to move water at a
relatively high pressure, compared to a pond pump. It takes watts, read
dollars, to do this. Ponds don't have the higher pressure needs that pools
and spas require and so pond pumps are designed to move water at a much
lower head (pressure). The savings in electricity between the two types of
pumps can be dramatic, often enough to pay for the pump in less than one
year! Even if you got a pool pump for free, you'd be money ahead to buy a
pond pump. Same goes for sump pumps.

Paul

.. .

Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
they are nibbling below sticky, below tired, towards upper onions Milton I. Hanabec United Kingdom 0 24-07-2005 01:44 PM
Pump and Heat questions for FL above ground V.V. Ponds (alternative) 6 21-07-2005 12:26 PM
Pump and Heat questions for FL above ground V.V. Ponds 3 13-07-2005 10:15 PM
Above ground or below it? Kim Roses 2 22-04-2003 06:56 AM