Old 06-08-2003, 04:22 PM
BenignVanilla

Default How does water flow?

Some of you remember my VF fiasco, and that much of the liner is showing due
to my error in judgment on the grade of the land that the VF is built in. I
am contemplating a solution to hide this liner, and need some assistance.

Currently my pump sits in my VF and pumps TO my pond. Water then gravity
feeds via a bottom drain back TO the VF. The liner is mostly visible on the
far end (away from gravity feed) of the VF. I am contemplating, building a
wall using sandbags in the VF. I then will put the pump into the end with
the feed, and pump UP to the new "pond" created by the wall. I then plan to
let the water run back through the current send pipe back to the main pond,
via gravity. I think I may need a valve here to control the flow.

My theory here is that I can pump the water up faster then I let it drain
into the pond, thereby raising the level of the water. I figure I can put
some nice big rocks over the sandbags and let the overflow pour back into
the lower VF, adding some interest and hiding the sandbag wall.

Any thoughts?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

Old 06-08-2003, 05:42 PM
MattR

Not quite sure what you mean. But if you're trying to match the flow of
the pump with the flow through a valve to keep the water level at a
certain point you'll have troubles. Maybe a picture out of ascii would
help.

Old 06-08-2003, 06:02 PM
john rutz

BenignVanilla wrote:
Some of you remember my VF fiasco, and that much of the liner is showing due
to my error in judgment on the grade of the land that the VF is built in. I
am contemplating a solution to hide this liner, and need some assistance.

My theory here is that I can pump the water up faster then I let it drain
into the pond, thereby raising the level of the water. I figure I can put
some nice big rocks over the sandbags and let the overflow pour back into
the lower VF, adding some interest and hiding the sandbag wall.

Any thoughts?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

sounds like it should work ok how hi are you trying to go, my memory fails here,

if you pack em tight enough you can get pretty high

--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 06-08-2003, 06:22 PM
BenignVanilla

"john rutz" wrote in message

BenignVanilla wrote:
[...]

So you think this can work?

My primary areas of concern a

1. Can I pump water uphill enough to fill a "pond" above the water line of
my reservoir pond?
2. Can I control the flow back to the reservoir with a valve? I have 4''
plumbing that is currently stopped down to 1'' to handle the pump output.

BV.

Old 06-08-2003, 06:42 PM
john rutz

BenignVanilla wrote:
"john rutz" wrote in message

BenignVanilla wrote:

So you think this can work?

My primary areas of concern a

1. Can I pump water uphill enough to fill a "pond" above the water line of
my reservoir pond?
2. Can I control the flow back to the reservoir with a valve? I have 4''
plumbing that is currently stopped down to 1'' to handle the pump output.

BV.

1 yes definitly even without the wall you can get up a half in or so
higher ( thats about what mine does ) and im only restreicting with rock
that are around 1/4 in apart

2 ok i give I cant comprhend what you are doing here ;-) back from
where? if you mean back from the VF it should be a tad higer in the hi
pond just from the pump output the water will always rut to the lower
direction or to the VF and then to the main pond

Old 06-08-2003, 07:22 PM
BenignVanilla

"john rutz" wrote in message
snip
1 yes definitly even without the wall you can get up a half in or so
higher ( thats about what mine does ) and im only restreicting with rock
that are around 1/4 in apart

2 ok i give I cant comprhend what you are doing here ;-) back from
where? if you mean back from the VF it should be a tad higer in the hi
pond just from the pump output the water will always rut to the lower
direction or to the VF and then to the main pond

snip

I guess it's hard to picture.

My VF is cut into a hill. So one end currently has about 10-12 inches of
vertical liner showing, and the other end (where the inflow pipe is) has
about 6 inches showing. I plan to build a wall of sandbags between them and
pump from the low end up to the high end. I then plan to let the water flow
from the high end through the current outflow pipe (the one that the pump is
currently pumping to) back to the main pond.

Old 06-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Bob in PA

How does water flow?

Gonna hazard a guess and say downhill.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

--

New Layout!!
Check out my pond webpage:

Click on the My Pond Link under Places to Go

Take ME away to reply

Old 06-08-2003, 08:12 PM
john rutz

BenignVanilla wrote:
"john rutz" wrote in message
snip

[...]

-- it sounds like it might work might take a bit of fiddling wt the
sandbags to get the levels worked out
keep us posted as to how it goes

Old 06-08-2003, 08:22 PM
john rutz

Bob in PA wrote:
How does water flow?

Gonna hazard a guess and say downhill.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

--
I used to have a link to a gizmo that caused water to flow uphill,
it was an art project and it did work

Old 06-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

Downhill.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.

Old 07-08-2003, 03:09 AM
Hank

As long as the overflow can return to the other side of the wall you
can go as high as the max. head on your pump. The problem being when
you turn off the pump all ponds will seek the same level and the water
will go through the sand bag wall and overflow the lower pond. (there
is a bright side, the sandbags will filter out the clay) ;-}

http://community.webshots.com/user/hankpage1

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
[...]

Does anyone know the recomended flow rate for a Skippy filter? nortyler Ponds 8 10-05-2005 04:02 AM
Water flow rate let's try it again Chagoi Ponds 2 27-10-2004 11:17 PM
Water flow rate RichToyBox Ponds 2 27-10-2004 06:27 PM
Water flow within filters? David Larson Ponds 8 31-05-2003 04:08 AM
How to make water flow uphill. John Hines Ponds 5 24-05-2003 05:56 PM