Old 06-08-2003, 10:12 PM
FBCS

Default Morning horror

I awoke this morning and as every morning I went outside for a quick trip to
the pond to feed the fish while coffee is making. To my horror not the usual
nice sounds of water running down the falls, but the gurgling of a submersed
pump in an just about empty pond. Fortunately there was about 3" of water
left for the fish. I filled it back up and the fish are doing fine. Even
with all this new water I still have murky water.

Last night we had tornado warnings resulting in bad lightening and rain
storm. Filter material I placed in the falls to clean some of the smaller
particles got turned around and caused the falls to run over.

What is really weird is I have dreams like this. I come out, the pond empty
..... or fish laying outside the pond.... or all floating. I think I read to
many rec mails. Anyone want to analyze this. Joann

Old 06-08-2003, 10:32 PM
MISSYMAGICGIRL

I had that same experience last week. What happened was tubbing pumping into
the filter came loss and off the filter inlet and pumped all water out of the
pond except for about 2 ". The next day I lost all my catfish and 2 koi's. The
others are still ok and I just got two white catfish. i learned that always
use tubbing fastnerers.

Sacha
Old 07-08-2003, 12:18 AM
Matt Helliwell

FBCS wrote:

I awoke this morning and as every morning I went outside for a quick trip to
the pond to feed the fish while coffee is making. To my horror not the usual
nice sounds of water running down the falls, but the gurgling of a submersed
pump in an just about empty pond. Fortunately there was about 3" of water
left for the fish. I filled it back up and the fish are doing fine. Even
with all this new water I still have murky water.

Last night we had tornado warnings resulting in bad lightening and rain
storm. Filter material I placed in the falls to clean some of the smaller
particles got turned around and caused the falls to run over.

What is really weird is I have dreams like this. I come out, the pond empty

Glad to see its not just me that worrys about these things. I ended up
buying a pump with a float switch on it: once the water gets down to
30cm or so, the pump cuts out.

--
Matt Helliwell
www.helliwell.me.uk

Old 07-08-2003, 12:23 AM
RichToyBox

Set the pump on a bucket, block or chimney flue to keep it off the bottom of
the pond. If you can, make a plumbing connection to the pump that goes to
the bottom with pipe for the pickup to act as a bottom drain, but put a hole
in the pipe near the pump. When the water falls lower than the hole, the
pump will start pumping air, and the fish will still have an adequate amount
of water to swim in.
--
RichToyBox

Old 07-08-2003, 12:43 AM
Andrew Burgess

"FBCS" writes:

I awoke this morning and as every morning I went outside for a quick trip to
the pond to feed the fish while coffee is making. To my horror not the usual
nice sounds of water running down the falls, but the gurgling of a submersed
pump in an just about empty pond. Fortunately there was about 3" of water
left for the fish. I filled it back up and the fish are doing fine. Even
with all this new water I still have murky water.

Good reason not to have the pump on the bottom. Similar downside with
bottom fed bottom drains. Hope everyone survives.

Old 07-08-2003, 12:43 AM
Anne Lurie

{{{{Joann}}}

Aside from a cyber-hug, I don't have much to offer, since my teeny water
garden pales in comparison to what many here in rec.ponds have.

However, here's a thought: you might have murky water in your pond because
the whole water system was messed up, big-time, by the storm you described?

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 07-08-2003, 02:02 AM

In , on 08/06/03
at 08:09 PM, "FBCS" said:

What is really weird is I have dreams like this. I come out, the pond
empty ..... or fish laying outside the pond.... or all floating. I think
I read to many rec mails. Anyone want to analyze this. Joann

Sit the pump on a couple of bricks or something. That way, it can't pump
out all the water if a problem occurs.

Alan

**** Please use address alanh(at)min.net to reply via e-mail. ****

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564

Old 07-08-2003, 06:03 AM

did you run in ice cold water? I would highly suggest you move that pump higher into
the top 1/3 of the water column so you dont lose even that much water. Ingrid

"FBCS" wrote:
I awoke this morning and as every morning I went outside for a quick trip to
the pond to feed the fish while coffee is making. To my horror not the usual
nice sounds of water running down the falls, but the gurgling of a submersed
pump in an just about empty pond. Fortunately there was about 3" of water
left for the fish. I filled it back up and the fish are doing fine. Even
with all this new water I still have murky water.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:23 AM
GaneaRowenna

I placed my pump on the top of a cinder block. I hear you, but I had the
block soaking for a year before I added fish, shouldn't I be safe by now?

ShawenAnne
High Desert, Zone 6
Old 07-08-2003, 09:22 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 20:09:15 GMT, "FBCS" wrote:

What is really weird is I have dreams like this. I come out, the pond empty
.... or fish laying outside the pond.... or all floating. I think I read to
many rec mails. Anyone want to analyze this. Joann

Analyze the dream or the reality? I've had dreams like this, building
another pond seemed to cure me. ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 07-08-2003, 10:12 AM
Theo van Daele

The possible caveat with that is - as I sadly know from experience - if the
spilled water flows back *under* the liner (if you work with a liner) it
pushes the liner up which pushes the water up to reach the pump, flows back
under the liner... you get the idea I completely drained (no water left
at all , maybe 50 gallon) a 6000 gallon pond in about 7 hours ...

I was just lucky to have this happen before I put my fish back into the
pond.

I now have the pump 40 cm from the bottom, but with a very large rock (yes,
I know) underneath so that if the same ever happens again, the liner will
not just float on top but will be kept down (a bit).

I am currently looking for a switch that should stop the pumps when water
level drops say 15 inches.

Theo

"RichToyBox" schreef in bericht
et...

Old 07-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Lee Brouillet

Everyone else has given you very good suggestions for moving the pump off
the bottom of the pond. My pump intake is in my skimmer box, so the max it
can pump out accidently is about 25%. If I want to pump out more than that
on purpose, I have to switch piping.

As far as your dreams are concerned: yeh, I have nightmares about the pond,
too. It's usually my mind working out a problem, or warning me that I have
to take care of an existing "fault" before it *becomes* a problem! It just
shows that you're a responsible pond owner! It's not bad enough that you
spend a considerable amount of time on a daily basis worrying about the li'l
darlin's, then you have to DREAM about them, too????? GBG!

Lee

Old 07-08-2003, 05:13 PM
BenignVanilla

"Andrew Burgess" wrote in message
"FBCS" writes:

I awoke this morning and as every morning I went outside for a quick trip

the pond to feed the fish while coffee is making. To my horror not the

usual
nice sounds of water running down the falls, but the gurgling of a

submersed
pump in an just about empty pond. Fortunately there was about 3" of water
left for the fish. I filled it back up and the fish are doing fine. Even
with all this new water I still have murky water.

Good reason not to have the pump on the bottom. Similar downside with
bottom fed bottom drains. Hope everyone survives.

I have a BD which feeds my VF. My pump is in my VF. My VF is uphill from my
pond (don't ask). Even if you took the output out of the pump and put it
outside the pond. I would lose only a foot or two of water, before the water
level dropped below the pump. Not intentional, but it works.

BV.

Old 07-08-2003, 05:25 PM
BenignVanilla

"Theo van Daele" wrote in message
The possible caveat with that is - as I sadly know from experience - if

the
spilled water flows back *under* the liner (if you work with a liner) it
pushes the liner up which pushes the water up to reach the pump, flows

back
under the liner... you get the idea I completely drained (no water

left
at all , maybe 50 gallon) a 6000 gallon pond in about 7 hours ...

I was just lucky to have this happen before I put my fish back into the
pond.

I now have the pump 40 cm from the bottom, but with a very large rock

(yes,
I know) underneath so that if the same ever happens again, the liner will
not just float on top but will be kept down (a bit).

snip

Theo...I speak from experience. If your 'rock' cannot be described as 'a
boulder', 'it took 5 of us to move it', 'and then the back hoe put it down',
or 'as big as a volkswagon'...IT WILL NOT hold the liner down. I had
probably close to 100 lb's of rock on my liner before the pond was done, and
my VF lifted ALL of it out of the ground.

Water is stronger then the hulk AND spiderman.

BV.