Old 13-08-2003, 07:05 AM
zookeeper

Default Fish pond water kills all fish within 24 hours.

Timothy Tom wrote:
... The pond temperature came down to 83 degrees. The
goldfish ... was acclimated to the pond temp and released ... After,
about 90 mins. I checked the pond again and found it floating ...
I have tested everything I can possibly test,
and ruled out everything that can be ruled out. One of the last things
I can do is take the pond water that just killed the fish and bring it
in to the house to further decrease the temp.

Another test you might want to do is to take a water sample to your
local extension, agricultural or water office and ask them to test the
water for toxic substances. It may cost a bit, but certainly less than
continually trying to replace the fish. I wouldn't want a pond that
couldn't support life -- I'd be afraid to put my hands in it or allow
other birds or animals near it.
--
Zk (sig compliments of BV)
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies

Old 13-08-2003, 08:08 AM
john rutz

Nedra wrote:
Okay... How many gallons of water are in the pond?
How old is your test kit? What are the numbers
for ammonia? What is the pH? NitrIte?

Saying the ammonia " ...not great not likely to be able
to be toxic to the fish" is a big clue.
Makes me think you are missing something Very Crucial.

Buy a new test for the above tests or a kit!

Please get back to us on the ammonia and pH, etc.
numbers.

Nedra

I went back to the begining of this
he took his water to the lfs to be tested, I agree w nedra you need
a fresh test kit and test yourself.
get the drops not the test strips
also call your water supply and see what they are puting in the water,
if its cloramine your aquasafe might not be working

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 13-08-2003, 09:03 AM
Donald Kerns

Timothy Tom wrote:

There is not a whole lot else to test now.

Water from pond, in a bowl, cooled to indoor temperature.

Water from pond to water analyist or chemical analysis.

-D
--
"There is nothing so strong as gentleness, and there is nothing so
gentle as real strength." St. Francis de Sales

Old 13-08-2003, 11:22 PM
Andrew Burgess

"Jim Brown" writes:

Timothy Tom wrote in message
. com...
I am really thinking about giving up on keeping fish in this pond. I
bought 3 bags of ice, and placed them in a large trash bag to prevent
leakage of water. The pond temperature came down to 83 degrees. The
goldfish taken from the bowl from the auto refill system, alive for
24hrs, was acclimated to the pond temp and released in the pond. After
release it looked fine. I watched it for about 10 mins, and once
again it looked fine. After about 90 mins. I checked the pond again
and found it floating. Unless someone tells me that 83 degree water
can kill a goldfish within two hours, I have nothing else to test. I
have no other theories. I have tested everything I can possibly test,
and ruled out everything that can be ruled out. One of the last things
I can do is take the pond water that just killed the fish and bring it
in to the house to further decrease the temp.

Using the pond water in the house won't give much of a difference with your
heat wave. Is it possible to rig up some shadecloth over the pond to see if
the water can be cooled a bit out of the direct sun?

Isn't inside the house out of direct sun :-)

Old 14-08-2003, 12:34 AM
Timothy Tom

Another update:

A bowl of pond water which had just done in a goldfish was taken
inside the house and allowed to equilibrate to the same temp as the
other bowl of water containing kitchen faucet water. I was concerned
that the elevated temp of the outside pond water was responsible for
killing fish. I took one of the goldfish that had been living in the
kitchen faucet water for over 24hrs, and placed it in the
temp-equilibrated pond water. I stayed up for a couple of hours, and
although the fish had not died, it was clearly not doing well when I
went to bed. It was dead in the morning, while the fish in the bowl
with kitchen faucet water were fine.

After all the tests and dead goldfish, I believe that I have
determined a possible cause. When adding a large trash bag filled
with ice to cool the pond, I caused considerable waves in the pond. I
noticed that there was a small puddle next to the pond which moved in
sync with the pond water disturbance. I believe that there is a leak
in the pond somewhere (difficult to tell with this black preformed
liner) which is in equilibrium with water which has collected under
the pond. The water under the pond must have some toxic substance in
it which is contaminating the pond. This conclusion makes sense to me
since water taken directly from the auto-refill does not kill fish,
but water coming from the auto-refill system into a freshly cleaned
pond liner does quickly kill fish.

As far as the pond size, I believe I was incorrect in my original
posting that the pond is about 150 gallons. A landscaper installed
the pond, so I don't have the documentation on it. I went to the pond
liner manufacturer site and I believe I found the liner that matches
our shape and it is 250 gallons.

I plan to completely empty the pond to dryness, and thoroughly inspect
the pond liner to see if I can find any leaks.
Old 14-08-2003, 02:42 AM
Nedra

Please Tim ... You still have not answered the questions I have
regarding Ammonia? pH? NirItes?
What are these values in actual numbers?

Nedra

Old 14-08-2003, 11:13 PM
Timothy Tom

"Nedra" wrote in message thlink.net...
Please Tim ... You still have not answered the questions I have
regarding Ammonia? pH? NirItes?
What are these values in actual numbers?

O.K. Nedra, I will test those tonight.

Old 15-08-2003, 12:11 AM
Timothy Tom

TEST RESULTS of Deadly Pond Water:

O.K. I tested the pond water which killed a goldfish within two hours.
Please note that this water has been sitting there for over 48 hours,
so it is not exactly the same water that killed the fish.

The pH measured at 7.7 using Tetra test kit, the nitrate measured at
perhaps 1 PPM (color between zero and the 2 PPM color on the color
scale) using Salifert test kit, the total ammonia measured at between
..25 and .5 PPM using a Tetra test kit.
Old 15-08-2003, 12:11 AM
Nedra

Thanks Tim! Those numbers should reveal something is amiss.

Nedra

"Timothy Tom" wrote in message
m...

thlink.net...

Old 15-08-2003, 01:08 AM
Nedra

Sounds to me like the Ammonia is your Enemy.
I would do a Big water change! Be sure you have
plenty of DeChlor on hand. Is your water treated\
with chloramine???

Nedra