Old 09-08-2003, 02:38 PM
Deswinds

Default new pond owner questions

This is my first pond and although familiar with aquariums this is a bit
different.

1 - Do I need to remove the goldfish and shubunkins to an indoor aquarium or
something for the winter? It gets cold here but not terribly. Can dip below
zero in the winter but not often. Snow rarely sits on the ground for long,
but we do get an occassional few days where a few inches just doesn't melt
off. It is a lined pond about 6x8x2' deep. In the winter there will be no
filtration as it's too cold for above ground pump to run without freezing. I
don't *think* the water would freeze solid but would expect the top few
inches might at the worst part of the winter since the water wouldn't be
moving then.

2- I've not as of yet put any plants in the pond but would like to. Do they
generally need to be removed (brought in) for the winter? or are do they go
dormant for the winter?

3- Any recomendations as to what type of plants to put in the pond? We live
in central oregon (zone 8, I believe).

Any advice is MUCh appreciated.
TIA,
Carol

Old 09-08-2003, 02:38 PM
Rodney Pont

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 11:50:50 -0700, Deswinds wrote:

This is my first pond and although familiar with aquariums this is a bit
different.

It's not that different really. With a pond you get wind carried soil
and pondlife but it's still a closed environment and you need to
monitor water quality and do changes to stop the hardness rising.

1 - Do I need to remove the goldfish and shubunkins to an indoor aquarium or
something for the winter? It gets cold here but not terribly. Can dip below
zero in the winter but not often. Snow rarely sits on the ground for long,
but we do get an occassional few days where a few inches just doesn't melt
off. It is a lined pond about 6x8x2' deep. In the winter there will be no
filtration as it's too cold for above ground pump to run without freezing. I
don't *think* the water would freeze solid but would expect the top few
inches might at the worst part of the winter since the water wouldn't be
moving then.

No they should be ok. You should run the pump all year round. It's
unlikely to freeze with water flowing through it and it will keep the
ammonia and nitrite down although the bacteria is not as active.

2- I've not as of yet put any plants in the pond but would like to. Do they
generally need to be removed (brought in) for the winter? or are do they go
dormant for the winter?

Plants are essential otherwise the nitrate levels will just rise and
rise. Your fish will be a lot less nervous with some plants to go to,
not having any will contribute to them not coming up for food. You need
some oxygenating plants. Water lilies are popular but get ones that are
suitable for your pond size and depth. Water hyacinth and lettuce are
good to give the fish shelter from the sun, they won't survive the
winter but the others will and should be left in. If you add some
potash it will help the plants to take up the nitrate and that will
keep the algae down. No doubt Jerry will post the dosing (please
Jerry).

3- Any recomendations as to what type of plants to put in the pond? We live
in central oregon (zone 8, I believe).

See what your local suppliers have. It's difficult to make
recommendations since we don't know how big the pond is, I'm in the UK
anyway so I don't know what is available there, can you grow Lotus
there? I bet Jerry can answer this one as well :-)

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail ngps07 (at) infohit (dot) fsnet (dot) co (dot) uk

Old 09-08-2003, 02:38 PM
K30a

Hello Carol,
Welcome to rec.ponds.
Which side of the mountains are you on?
Zone 8 sounds like the west side.

In the winter the fish go dormant. They don't
eat much except for grazing on algae on the sides of the pond if they do that.
They should not be fed once the water temperature dips below 55 degrees. No
eating, no need for filtering.

What you do need to do is keep a hole open in the ice. Anything that is in
there decomposing needs a place for gasses to escape. Our ponds are too small
and too crowded to let them ice over like natural ponds.
I use an air pump that sits above ground underneath a bucket and sends bubbles
through an air stone to keep a hole open in the ice (zone 7, SE WA).
Your fish can stay outside as long as the pond doesn't freeze solid and you
keep a hole open in the ice. It doesn't sound like you have to worry about too
much snow covering the pond for too long a time.

The same goes for plants, as long as they aren't zoned for 9 and above. They
can stay in the pond for the winter.

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...ors/index.html
Old 12-08-2003, 02:48 PM
Registered User

Location: Arkansas

I keep hearing this 55 degree (F) number for the time to stop feeding fish. Does this mean when it is consistantly below 55 all the time? We may stay below that mark at night, but could easily heat into the upper 60's during the day.

New pond/koi owner questions chereena Ponds 15 06-05-2007 05:42 PM
New pond owner Wanna be Tom P Ponds 59 17-05-2006 01:22 AM
New pond owner needs some advice hotpepper Ponds (alternative) 0 14-09-2005 12:31 PM
New Pond Owner - Maintenance Question... Vinnie Murdico Ponds 14 25-01-2004 12:42 AM
new pond owner questions Deswinds Ponds (alternative) 3 15-08-2003 05:05 AM