Old 09-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Bob

Default Koi missing Pectoral fin!

The other day when I went to my pond I was surprised to see that one of my
koi lost one of his (or hers) pectoral fins. What are some of the possible
reasons that this could happen? I don't have a raccoon or bird
problem...but now I have my two dogs "on patrol" just to keep things honest
by the pond! The dogs don't go near the fish and I never see the koi
"fighting" that would cause such a thing to happen. The fish appears to be
fine now...was having a few problems maneuvering at first but it's amazing
to see how well he adapted. Everything in the pond is in order, no fin or
tail rot disease to be seen. It just has me baffled on how this may have
happened. Any ideas? Thanks!

Bob
Long Island, NY

Old 09-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Bob in PA

Perhaps it could have been torn on a submerged rock, or maybe it was a bird
or racoon that you didn't see.

Bob
Just like to point out that this is two differant Bobs. I'm in S.E. Pa,
and he is in NY.

et...

Old 09-08-2003, 10:03 PM

could have been damaged and then fin rot. is now healing and should regrow. you are
sure the fish had two to start with? Ingrid

"Bob" wrote:

The other day when I went to my pond I was surprised to see that one of my
koi lost one of his (or hers) pectoral fins. What are some of the possible
reasons that this could happen? I don't have a raccoon or bird
problem...but now I have my two dogs "on patrol" just to keep things honest
by the pond! The dogs don't go near the fish and I never see the koi
"fighting" that would cause such a thing to happen. The fish appears to be
fine now...was having a few problems maneuvering at first but it's amazing
to see how well he adapted. Everything in the pond is in order, no fin or
tail rot disease to be seen. It just has me baffled on how this may have
happened. Any ideas? Thanks!

Bob
Long Island, NY

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:03 PM
BenignVanilla

"Bob" wrote in message
et...
The other day when I went to my pond I was surprised to see that one of my
koi lost one of his (or hers) pectoral fins. What are some of the

possible
reasons that this could happen? I don't have a raccoon or bird
problem...but now I have my two dogs "on patrol" just to keep things

honest
by the pond! The dogs don't go near the fish and I never see the koi
"fighting" that would cause such a thing to happen. The fish appears to

be
fine now...was having a few problems maneuvering at first but it's amazing
to see how well he adapted. Everything in the pond is in order, no fin or
tail rot disease to be seen. It just has me baffled on how this may have
happened. Any ideas? Thanks!

Where is Theo? Didn't he have a special needs Koi like this one?

BV.

Old 11-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Bob

I had the same thing happen last year and it took me a long time too
figure out what happened ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,until I saw the fish that lost
one of his pec fins turning sideways over the bottom drain and
skirting across it and then swimming up against the currrent ....I
think that the fin,... which was very long as it was a "Butterfly"
............. got caught in the suction on the drain and got pulled
off........it has been over a year and only a small portion of the fin
has grown back.
Bob

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 17:11:36 GMT, "Bob" wrote:

The other day when I went to my pond I was surprised to see that one of my
koi lost one of his (or hers) pectoral fins. What are some of the possible
reasons that this could happen? I don't have a raccoon or bird
problem...but now I have my two dogs "on patrol" just to keep things honest
by the pond! The dogs don't go near the fish and I never see the koi
"fighting" that would cause such a thing to happen. The fish appears to be
fine now...was having a few problems maneuvering at first but it's amazing
to see how well he adapted. Everything in the pond is in order, no fin or
tail rot disease to be seen. It just has me baffled on how this may have
happened. Any ideas? Thanks!

Bob
Long Island, NY

Bob & susie

You can see our pond at
www.gulftel.com/seadogs

Old 12-08-2003, 04:43 PM
Bob

Yep this Bob is in gulf Shore3s Alabama

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 06:00:17 -0400, "Bob in PA"
wrote:

Wait, so this is a third Bob?

Bob wrote in message ...
I had the same thing happen last year and it took me a long time too
figure out what happened ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,until I saw the fish that lost
one of his pec fins turning sideways over the bottom drain and
skirting across it and then swimming up against the currrent ....I
think that the fin,... which was very long as it was a "Butterfly"
............ got caught in the suction on the drain and got pulled
off........it has been over a year and only a small portion of the fin
has grown back.
Bob

Bob & susie

You can see our pond at
www.gulftel.com/seadogs

Butterfly Koi pectoral fin damage gmb Ponds (moderated) 7 17-09-2007 03:45 PM
Koi fin rot? advice please [email protected] Ponds 7 07-08-2005 08:16 AM
Goldfish fin rot pixi Ponds 4 30-03-2005 08:53 PM
Fin Rot Sir Douglas Cook Freshwater Aquaria Plants 14 20-06-2004 11:07 PM
Top Fin Waterplants for Ponds @ PetSmart Ahhyeah Ponds 1 05-05-2004 07:04 PM