Old 10-08-2003, 12:32 AM

Default Shade loving marginal plants?

Hi Folks,

I'm a newbie to ponding, and I'm in the process of putting in a pond
approx. 7 X 14 ft. Our pond will be in a shady area, and I would like
to get recommendations for marginal plants requiring very little sun
(if there are any). The pond will be in our shade garden, and I'm
hoping there will be some of you who have experience with this. Any
replies will be appreciated.

Ed (zone 5, Indiana)
Old 10-08-2003, 02:02 AM
K30a

Here are some ~~

Shade tolerant marginals

* acorus graimineus Ogon

* any aquatic grass

* Bowles Golden Sedge

* any clover

* dwarf bamboo

* Flamingo (variegated Water Parsley)

* horsetail rush

* Japanese Ribbon Grass

* Parrot Feather

* Pennywort

* spike rush

* any Taro

* Water Parsley (green)

Flowering shade Tolerant Marginals

* Bog Lily

* Chameleon Plant

* Creeping Buttercup

* creeping jenny

* creeping jenny gold

* Japanese Bog Orchid

* Ligularia 'Othello'

* Lobelia- Cardinal Flower

* Marsh Marigold

* mazus reptans

* Primula (Candleabra) japonica

* Spider Lily

(compiled by Patrica Sample)

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...ors/index.html
Old 11-08-2003, 07:06 AM

Thank you very much John and K30A for the replies and a very long list
of plants. Your help is very much appreciated.

I'll admit that I'm not much of a gardener. That's my wife's passion.
Since I'm a newbie to ponding, it's quite possible that I'm
confused with the definition of "marginal plants". I thought "marginal
plants" were plants that sat in pots, with the tops of the pots below
the water level (usually sitting in the pond, on a shelf). Is this
right, or did I miss something?

The reason I'm asking this is because I didn't think hostas or lily of
the valley would survive if used in this fashion. Again, I might be
totally wrong. We have many hostas and a good supply of lily of the
valley, but before I try to use them this way, I'd like verification
that they have a good chance of surviving. The pond is not ready for a
liner yet. Just trying to do a little homework before hand. Once
again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Ed (zone 5, Indiana)

Old 11-08-2003, 07:06 AM
K30a

Marginal plants start underwater and then most of their growth is above water.
Cattails for instance.

Old 11-08-2003, 07:07 AM

[...]

Shade loving plants Jeanne Stockdale United Kingdom 3 21-04-2009 10:20 PM
Shade and Butterfly loving plants and flowers Butterrose Gardening 11 01-03-2007 02:59 AM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 07:32 AM
Shade loving plants? JB Australia 1 31-03-2003 03:32 AM
Shade loving plants? brainspace Australia 4 28-03-2003 08:32 PM