Old 12-08-2003, 09:18 PM
Carl Beyer

Default Why do Lillies need water depth?

I have a hardy lilly in my little pond, when I lowered it earlier this
year it nearly crapped out, so I raised it back up to about an inch or
two under water and it has gone like gang busters. Now it is fading a
bit (it has been hot in LA, though).

Anywy, just wondering why the say to put it deep, yet mine seems to be
doing just fine near the surface.

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com
Old 13-08-2003, 06:06 AM
Mickey

I am not sure about the deeper water part. I can tell you that lilies in
general send out shoots to figure out what depth they are at. Then send out
longer shoots until they reach the top. I your case when you moved the
lilies to a deeper area they probably were in shock because they couldn't
find the surface.

Old 13-08-2003, 08:43 PM
Mike Miller

In addition, I'll add that after reading on here years ago that someone did
the same, I've ignored lily depths and kept them (hardy and tropical) just a
few inches from the surface. We tend to have cold, short summers here in
Chicago on the lakefront, and this has helped get them going in the chilly
early summer, especially the tropical. And they bloomed more often for me
than when they were at their "correct" depths.

Old 15-08-2003, 07:48 AM
adavisus

Over most parts of the water lilies range, the rhisome of a water lily
can be vulnerable to freezing killing them in a hard Winter.
Additionally, many critters will go to town grazing on easily reached
stems and rhisomes, ducks can easily destroy a water lily in shallow
water.

Many water lilies are very vigorous, to plant them shallow and they
would soon dome up forming a cabbage like heap, with so much foliage
exposed, bugs like aphids and leaf curling viruses can tear through a
well exposed plant.

When you changed its planting depth, you probably saw the water lily
'stall' where its growing habit was changed drastically, its not
unusual for water lilies to appear to stop growing when something
drastic changes, like its roots are damaged or its depth is changed
suddenly. Most water lilies do like being started shallow, when
there's plenty of foliage forming, stepping it into deeper water in
steps of 6" at a time will probably keep it ticking over better, most
water lilies will look better if they have plenty of depth to spread
in, say about three times the width of a lily pad as a rough depth
guide

Regards, Andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
http://community.webshots.com/user/adavisus
(photo albums of aquatic plants and descriptions)

Carl Beyer wrote in message ...
I have a hardy lilly in my little pond, when I lowered it earlier this
year it nearly crapped out, so I raised it back up to about an inch or
two under water and it has gone like gang busters. Now it is fading a
bit (it has been hot in LA, though).

Anyway, just wondering why the say to put it deep, yet mine seems to be

Old 15-08-2003, 08:17 AM
Carl Beyer

In article ,
(adavisus) wrote:

[...]

Thank you very much for the info... great explanation. But other than
damage done by animals, freezing and potential over growing, there
appears to be no reason to lower the lilly?

Old 15-08-2003, 04:22 PM
BenignVanilla

"adavisus" wrote in message
om...
Over most parts of the water lilies range, the rhisome of a water lily
can be vulnerable to freezing killing them in a hard Winter.
Additionally, many critters will go to town grazing on easily reached
stems and rhisomes, ducks can easily destroy a water lily in shallow
water.

snip

I got a pink lily at Petschmart for $2.99 last weekend. I planted it
according to instructions. Yesterday, I noticed the whole tubor is gone. So
much for putting in shallow water, near my critter entry point. *sigh*

BV.

Old 15-08-2003, 04:22 PM
BenignVanilla

"Carl Beyer" wrote in message
snip
Thank you very much for the info... great explanation. But other than
damage done by animals, freezing and potential over growing, there
appears to be no reason to lower the lilly?

snip

My big lily is in almost 2 feet of water. When I dropped it in, nothing was
above the surface, but it quickly rose to the occasion. It has mostly stayed
in one area, I think because it used it's growth to surface, it is not using
more to spread. So maybe deep water, is a nice containment idea as well?

BV.

Old 15-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Carl Beyer

In article ,
"BenignVanilla" wrote:

"Carl Beyer" wrote in message
snip
Thank you very much for the info... great explanation. But other than
damage done by animals, freezing and potential over growing, there
appears to be no reason to lower the lilly?

snip

My big lily is in almost 2 feet of water. When I dropped it in, nothing was
above the surface, but it quickly rose to the occasion. It has mostly stayed
in one area, I think because it used it's growth to surface, it is not using
more to spread. So maybe deep water, is a nice containment idea as well?

BV.

That would make sense... My lilly you can seee the pot clear as day,
and the leaves never grow straigth up. I wonder if I lowered it just 6"
more as suggested.