Old 16-08-2003, 01:32 AM
Theo van Daele

Default How many koi is too many koi

Yeah, I was expecting quite a few comments on this.

It was N°1 news item even here in Europe.

They even played "Where were you when the lights went out" (1977 I think)

Oh memories :-)

Theo

PS: Funny I was searching Google for a good backup generator when my wife
came in and told me the news about the power outage. Synchronicity anyone
?

"Gary Rich" schreef in bericht
DonKcR wrote:
Gary, That brings up something I've always wanted to know, how long do

you
think that the power could be out for till your fish are in danger? I

have a
750 - 800 gallon pond and 10 Koi. I always worry about that every time

we
have a big storm here in Arizona. Thanks Kc

Funny you should ask.... I suspect we will have a fair number of
datapoints from the northeast part of the US fairly soon _

Old 17-08-2003, 01:04 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

One can also filter an overstock pond to the max and still end up with sick
fish. Over crowding for long period of time, is a stress also. ~ jan

Carl Beyer wrote:
OK, Take out the filtration factor and what is too much for koi?

The reason I ask is that I see so many different claims, and then I go
see a koi breeder and they have 20 big ones in 1000 gallons (30+
inches). And 50 or more in 750 gallon setups...

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:04:48 -0700, Gary Rich wrote:
The main reason is, like others said, fast turnover. Those fish are not
crowded in that tank for that long. And they filter the heck out of it.
The latter point also equals risk. If they had a power failure for
an hour or two probably all those fish would be dead. They probably
have battery backup, since they know this. Do you? Lower stocking
rates means that the filtering can fail for a longer amount of time
before it's terminal.

garyr

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/