GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Roofing Liner (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/40485-roofing-liner.html)

Priscilla McCullough 15-08-2003 12:42 PM

Roofing Liner

I was wondering if anyone here has roofing liner in their ponds and how it
has held up.
Also if it is actually cost less than pond liner.
I am going to expand in the fall and was researching the idea.
Priss

Phyllis and Jim Hurley 15-08-2003 03:02 PM

Roofing Liner

Roofing is all we have. Same stuff. Less cost. No toxic chemicals.

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley

Gregory Young 15-08-2003 04:42 PM

Roofing Liner

Actually it depends on where the material is made. According to Firestone
manufacturing, there is an oil used in the rolling part of the manufacturing
of roofing material, which is not used in their pond safe liner (Pond
Guard).
Certain roofing materials have mildew resistant chemicals added as well.
Check into this before you buy a liner.
I know folks who have used roofing material successfully.
With all the costs and time associated with pond installation, not to
mention the costs of the fish, I personally would rather spend more $$ up
front on a guaranteed fish safe product.
I would dread the thought of having to rip out a pond, and start over if
there was a problem
Happy ponding,
Greg

--

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in
message ...

john rutz 15-08-2003 06:02 PM

Roofing Liner

Priscilla McCullough wrote:
I was wondering if anyone here has roofing liner in their ponds and how it
has held up.
Also if it is actually cost less than pond liner.
I am going to expand in the fall and was researching the idea.
Priss

-- i was going to use roofing liner to build a new pond, the wholesaleer
coulng sell me anything but a whole roll, but he gave me the names of a
few roofers that used it,
price wise at that time pond liner was .75-.85 cent a foot. the roof
liner was .25 cents ( this was three years ago )
the only reason I didnt use it was no one had a scrap peice the size I
needed at that time then I lost the phone numbers for em all
then someone gave me about 300 fish so the new pond got realy big real
quick.

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Jerrispond 15-08-2003 10:42 PM

Roofing Liner

All the ponds in our yard are roofing and the ponds we built for other people
are roofing liner.....Jerri

Theron 16-08-2003 04:02 AM

Roofing Liner

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 06:35:49 -0400, "Priscilla McCullough"
wrote:

I was wondering if anyone here has roofing liner in their ponds and how it
has held up.
Also if it is actually cost less than pond liner.
I am going to expand in the fall and was researching the idea.
Priss

I just purchased a 20x50ft piece of roofing rubber from a local DIY
box store called 'Menards' cost was $289.00 plus sales tax.
It says 'Firestone' on it. I used a 6x10ft section of it as a test
pond, that I will make a QT tank out of when the big pond is finished.
two weeks later and the six fish (3 Koi 6inches each, and 3 Goldfish
4inches each) are all healthy and appear to be happy.

Gale Pearce 16-08-2003 04:22 AM

Roofing Liner

I agree with Greg, and installed Firestone "Pond Guard" 45 mil EPDM in our
pond - I could have saved ~ $50 on a 15 X20 liner with roofing EPDM, but the
work installing the liner and all the rock was too much to risk having to
replace it
Gale :~)

Andrew Burgess 16-08-2003 07:02 PM

Roofing Liner

Theron writes:

I just purchased a 20x50ft piece of roofing rubber from a local DIY
box store called 'Menards' cost was $289.00 plus sales tax.

Just for fun I priced justliners.com for the same sized piece of
Firestone Pond Guard:

$400 plus $135 freight, Oklahoma to California. $20 less
if delivered to a business address. No sales tax, which
is a 8.25% bite in California.

(the freight charge is actually for a 30x30 liner which is 10%
lighter but I didn't want to wait for another email quote)

One thing about roofing rubber, I think it only comes in 20' widths so you have
to figure the time and slight expense to glue it if you want a wider piece.

Heather 19-08-2003 07:42 PM

Roofing Liner

Our pond which has been in a year now, is lined with USED Firestone roofing
liner. We power washed the side that was in the pond. Other than a small
hole we had to patch this has worked well. All life in the pond is doing
great. And the price was 0$.

Heather