GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Thousands of Snails (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/40654-thousands-snails.html)

Sue Walsh 17-08-2003 07:32 PM

Thousands of Snails

We got an additiona filter up and running and finally it happened, I
can see the bottom of my pond (not gin clear, still greenish water,
but I can see the fish!!!) So that's great, terrific!!!

Had 3 days of celebration over this great event. Hubby and I would go
out and watch the fish together. Day four hubby comes in and says,
"come out and look, we have a problem". In my 22' stream every rock
and pebble is covered with baby garden snails, not a few or a hundred
but thousands, like pepper all over the waterfall and stream bed!

Now I know some snails are good guys, and I'm not sure if these are
good guys or bad guys, but by the thousands, that can't be very good,
can it? These are small coiled black shelled type. Right now about
the 1/3 the size of the top of a pencil eraser.

Anyone know what kind these are, good or bad? Is this a problem or a
blessing?

Thoughts, ideas, what sould I do? Remember I said thousands and I'm
not over estimating.

Sue W

Chad 18-08-2003 02:32 PM

Thousands of Snails

I know what you mean... I have thousands too. Mine don't seem to be
causing any trouble. They seem to be leaving all the plants alone.
Here is a picture of what my snails were like a couple of weeks ago...
they may move slow but the reproduce fast :)

http://members.cox.net/bokowski/snails.html

Sue Walsh 19-08-2003 02:04 AM

Thousands of Snails

(Chad) wrote in message . com...
I know what you mean... I have thousands too. Mine don't seem to be
causing any trouble. They seem to be leaving all the plants alone.
Here is a picture of what my snails were like a couple of weeks ago...
they may move slow but the reproduce fast :)

http://members.cox.net/bokowski/snails.html

Thanks Chad,
That's exactly what they look like. Glad to know I don't need to
worry about them. Glad you could photograph them since I have no
place to put photo's on the net. I'm glad I don't need to "Mess with
the pond", since it looks so good, finally. Thanks again, Sue W

jammer 19-08-2003 02:04 AM

Thousands of Snails

On 18 Aug 2003 14:53:43 -0700, (Sue Walsh) wrote:

Thanks Chad,
That's exactly what they look like. Glad to know I don't need to
worry about them. Glad you could photograph them since I have no
place to put photo's on the net. I'm glad I don't need to "Mess with
the pond", since it looks so good, finally. Thanks again, Sue W

FYI-
www.webshots.com Free photo space for anyone.

K30a 19-08-2003 02:04 AM

Thousands of Snails

I have never had a snail survive in the pond. They all get eaten!
I have them in the filter and in the frog bog, the six pondlets and even in the
house habitats.
The other day one of the tadpoles had a hold of a snail and was shaking the
poor thing out of its shell!

They ought to keep your stream nice and clean.

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html

Sue Walsh 20-08-2003 12:42 PM

Thousands of Snails

jammer wrote in message

Glad you could photograph them since I have no place to put photo's

on the net.
FYI- www.webshots.com Free photo space for anyone.

Thanks for the info Jammer, here is my webshots photo page with the
building of my pond. Picture of today's pond is on page 2. I will be
adding more in time.

http://community.webshots.com/user/aspenjd

Sue W

jammer 21-08-2003 02:02 AM

Thousands of Snails

On 20 Aug 2003 04:39:58 -0700,
(Sue Walsh) wrote:

jammer wrote in message

Glad you could photograph them since I have no place to put photo's

on the net.
FYI-
www.webshots.com Free photo space for anyone.

Thanks for the info Jammer, here is my webshots photo page with the
building of my pond. Picture of today's pond is on page 2. I will be
adding more in time.

http://community.webshots.com/user/aspenjd

Sue W

Your welcome. It was enjoyable. I could almost hear the water.