Old 18-08-2003, 07:13 PM
D Kat

Default Top Posting

I thought posting on top was the ONLY courteous way to post. If I'm reading
the thread, then I already know what has been previously posted and if I
have to go hunting for what the poster has to say in the middle or end of a
post containing a lot of the previous message then I just skip the posting.
Granted, my memory is getting bad but if I have to re-read the whole bloody
thread each time I read a posting in it then I belong confined somewhere to
keep me safe (in the net) and not off on the net. So I will continue to
top-post (and hope to hell that I haven't just complained about the violins
on TV). DK

"mad" wrote in message
i'm with you, anne lurie. i would think that top-posting was definitely
better. oh well...
mad
--
Two vultures board an airplane, each one carrying two dead raccoons.
The stewardess looks at them and says, "I'm sorry, gentlemen, only

From: "Anne Lurie"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 17:41:36 GMT
Subject: Gardening - test

Unless you take care to remove the extraneous groups, any "group reply"

will
go to all the groups that received the post to which you are replying.

You can tell by looking closely at the To: list for each message. These
things can really deteriorate fast because suddenly posters of a

particular
group are seeing posts from strangers, etc., and so on.

To confuse this issue even more, we've suddenly picked up another "anne"
(gasp!) here in rec.ponds!

What's the big complaint about top posting, anyway? Unless there are
multiple parts to debate, it makes a *lot* more sense to me -- at

least
it's much easier to figure exactly who the current poster is.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"K30a" wrote in message

Question.
If this post was cross posted in the first place, Anne mentioned

several
gardening groups it showed up on... is it still being cross posted?
I'm posting on rec.ponds here.

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...ors/index.html

Old 19-08-2003, 01:43 AM
Sam Hopkins

I agree. Why waste your life and the life of others by making people scroll
all the way down to the end of a message they just read.

Then again I could really care less. Some people top post (like me), some
people bottom post. I middle post when I answer multiple questions. I've
been on the net since 1991 and BBSing well before that. I've seen posting
every which way.

So post how you'd like but don't tell people not to post how they'd like. If
you don't like how people post then don't read the message.

Sam

Old 19-08-2003, 02:04 AM
AngrieWoman

"D Kat" wrote in message
I thought posting on top was the ONLY courteous way to post. If I'm

reading
the thread, then I already know what has been previously posted and if I
have to go hunting for what the poster has to say in the middle or end of

post containing a lot of the previous message then I just skip the

posting.
Granted, my memory is getting bad but if I have to re-read the whole

bloody
thread each time I read a posting in it then I belong confined somewhere

keep me safe (in the net) and not off on the net. So I will continue to
top-post (and hope to hell that I haven't just complained about the

violins
on TV). DK

It is group specific protocol. The polite way to behave is to look and see
what other people are doing. Rome, Romans, all that.

Old 19-08-2003, 02:12 AM
K30a

The whole top posting issue showed up when another group started cross posting
here due to a spammer. I was the one who asked what they were yammering about,
what is this top posting they are so booooooringly concerned about? To me
reading through all the previous lines in the thread was beyond tedious. They
seem to have gone away now.
And we seem to have our own helter skelter way of posting, neither fish nor
fowl or even frog...

http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 19-08-2003, 04:42 AM
mad

AMEN!
mad
--
"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."
Dave Barry

From: jammer
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:31:49 -0500
Subject: Top Posting

As long as I include what i am referring to, i do not see the harm in
top posting. Many times i skip over a message that i would have to
scroll down to read.

Old 20-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Bob Adkins

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 14:05:43 -0400, "D Kat" wrote:

I thought posting on top was the ONLY courteous way to post. If I'm reading

Bottom posting is the correct way, but only works if the quoted text is
suitably trimmed. Since most people don't trim the quotes, I prefer to read
top posting. If you'll notice, sometime people get mad and leave several
pages of quoted text just to annoy someone, and it is annoying.

Since most people are on top of the thread anyway, they don't even need to
read the quote. If they do, it's no trouble to scroll down and get a hint.
Top post away!

I bottom post, but I always trim correctly.

Bob