Old 20-08-2003, 05:02 PM
scs0

Default Tiny red mites creating webs on my leaves

I'm having a problem with something sealing up the leaves of my plants
with some sort of a web. The leaves that have this webbing eventually
die, and whatever it was really damaged my Thalia, Pickerel Rush, and
a taro-like plant with smooth (not fuzzy&water repellant) leaves.
Plants that do not have a large leaf sticking out of the water with a
bowl-like shape, like a water lily, iris, Umbrella Palm, were not
harmed.

I originally thought it was a caterpiller because the webbing had tiny
specs in it that I thought were feces, but learned that it was not the
case. None of the leaves were chewed and the other day I noticed what
looked like spit hanging from a large leaf which was really a wad of
webbing filled with those specs: and I finally noticed that those
specs were moving! They are much smaller than aphids and I think they
are mites. Naturally, they are attacking plants that are difficult to
reach.

I've learned that mites hate moisture and saw that in practice as the
ones that fell off of leaves that I brushed against got stuck in some
sweat and stopped moving. So I've been spraying the plants with water
several times a day for about 3 days now. Will this kill them?

The pond is underneath a screened porch and doesn't get exposed to
much in the way of rain. If water is deadly to them, then this might
be the reason why they've thrived so well.

But has anyone else experienced this? What are they exactly? What
causes them to kill the leaf? Are they sucking them dry like an aphid?
Does their webbing prevent respiration of the leaf?

Thanks for any info
Old 21-08-2003, 12:02 AM
bobkiely \(Remove NOSPAM\)

I had something that sounds very similar to that last year. All my water
hyth (forget what they're called but you know what I mean) had the same
symptoms. I called the nursery where I bought them and they suggested I take
them out of the pond and put them in another container of water, then spray
them with an insecticide, rinse them several times and then put them back in
the pond.

Frankly, I was very leery of spraying them with an insecticide then putting
them back. What if I didn't rinse all the insecticide off and killed all my
fish? I noticed like you did, that if I held the plant under water, the tiny
little bugs would float off the plant and then I noticed the fish eating
them.

I did that for about 3 times a week for about 3 weeks, never did get rid of
all of them and then the season ended and I tossed all the plants (they were
just floating plants anyway) and started with new plants this year.

I've been keeping an eye out for them again this year but (knock on wood)
not seen them yet. My pond btw is small and I can reach all the plants
easily.

Don't know if this helps but at least you've got moral support.
BK

om...

Old 21-08-2003, 02:02 AM
RED1102

I have the same thing, my water hyacinths are covered in them and they are
turning brown. I have thinned alot of them out but they are still there. This
is the first year I have ever had them. None of my plants bloomed this year
also.
Carole
NJ
Old 21-08-2003, 02:12 AM
Anne Lurie

I had recently seen something that described spraying rose bushes with water
to get rid of spider mites, so I image-googled for "spider mite web."

Take a look at this site & see if it matches what you've got:
http://hortipm.tamu.edu/pestprofiles...brcycmit.html. I don't
know whether the spraying will harm the plants themselves, but it has to be
less harmful than the pesticide treatment suggested by a nursery! (in
another post in this thread).

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

om...

Old 21-08-2003, 06:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Water will work on spider mites no doubt, WH has trouble with both mites
and aphids, if you wash the aphids off you'll just spread them to the rest
of your plants. Better is to submerge the plants over night. Aphid aren't
smart enough to let go and thus drown, yet if you wash them off they can do
a pretty mean back stroke to the next plant. ~ jan

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 00:09:45 GMT, "Anne Lurie" wrote:

I had recently seen something that described spraying rose bushes with water
to get rid of spider mites, so I image-googled for "spider mite web."

Take a look at this site & see if it matches what you've got:
http://hortipm.tamu.edu/pestprofiles...brcycmit.html. I don't
know whether the spraying will harm the plants themselves, but it has to be
less harmful than the pesticide treatment suggested by a nursery! (in
another post in this thread).

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"scs0" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 23-08-2003, 12:22 AM
scs0

I had recently seen something that described spraying rose bushes with water
to get rid of spider mites, so I image-googled for "spider mite web."

Yes, that's it exactly! The webbing looks exactly like the web in
that picture. The docs on Spider Mites seems to say they concentrate
on the undersides of leaves, but I find them all over the leaves which
is probably because my leaves are sheltered from the rain. So I've
been hosing the leaves from a distance for about 5 days, since the
lifecycle is 4-10 days I should hopefully damage the population with
this water. They seem to be very, very vulnerable to water. I
thought aphids were bad, but these mites seem even worse.

Thanks

Steve

http://hortipm.tamu.edu/pestprofiles...brcycmit.html.
Old 23-08-2003, 12:22 AM
scs0

the tiny
little bugs would float off the plant and then I noticed the fish eating
them.

That's a problem with my fish, they're pretty stupid and refuse to eat
bugs on the surface of the water. I had an aphid problem and would
wash them off the leaves, but the fish would ignore them. In a
previous pond, washed off aphids were considered a treat and hunted by
my fish! Not these! So I doubt they'd go after the mites but from
what I understand a mite won't survive a fall into the water anyway.

I love duckweed, but my fish WILL eat that.
Old 23-08-2003, 12:32 AM
scs0

These are pretty big plants and they are in cloth-style pots that are
difficult to move out of the water so I'm kinda stuck on keeping them
in the pond. I've been spraying them from a distance with water and
it looks like the webs are all gone, if the problem continues I'm
going to order some of those preditor mites that eat spider mites
(geeze that sounds ridiculous but apparently it works!)
Old 24-08-2003, 12:02 AM
Anne Lurie

Steve,

The info I originally saw on spraying for spider mites mentioned a "mister"
on a rain wand, but I'm not quite sure what that is. (I use rain wands on
all my plants, as they deliver a lot of water without the force that most
hose nozzles have.) Apparently, it's the water, not the force that kills
the mites.

Depending upon how close you can get to your pond plants, you might try
using a *new* garden sprayer with nothing but water in it & aiming it up at
the underside of the leaves. I suggested a new sprayer because they are not
all that expensive, and you need not worry about contamination from
chemicals previously used in the sprayer.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"scs0" wrote in message
om...
I had recently seen something that described spraying rose bushes with

water
to get rid of spider mites, so I image-googled for "spider mite web."

Yes, that's it exactly! The webbing looks exactly like the web in
that picture. The docs on Spider Mites seems to say they concentrate
on the undersides of leaves, but I find them all over the leaves which
is probably because my leaves are sheltered from the rain. So I've
been hosing the leaves from a distance for about 5 days, since the
lifecycle is 4-10 days I should hopefully damage the population with
this water. They seem to be very, very vulnerable to water. I
thought aphids were bad, but these mites seem even worse.

Thanks

Steve

http://hortipm.tamu.edu/pestprofiles...brcycmit.html.

Extra strong spiders webs this year? mogga United Kingdom 19 14-10-2011 08:59 AM
Orange Tiny Mites Infestation Dreadmeister Gardening 0 29-06-2007 08:38 PM
webs on rosemary Anony moose Gardening 3 09-06-2006 03:48 AM
Sticky Webs in our Hedges Don and Marcy Gardening 4 06-09-2005 01:51 AM
Walking into spider webs ruth Australia 10 05-04-2003 07:35 AM