Old 24-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Critical Popperian

Default The Big Dig Update - Return of the Heron and Framing

The Big Dig Update - Return of the Heron and Framing
http://www.popperian.com/pond/page23.htm
Old 24-08-2003, 08:22 PM
K30a

Are you sure the doggy door is for Rusty and
not the heron?
Fantastic pictures!
Your heron is a young heron, he doesn't have his full plume of neck feathers.
He'll probably be a visitor for a long time. You can probably find out via your
state's fish and game page to see if he is part of a migratory colony or a year
round colony. We have a year round colony here in SE WA. Have you named him
yet?

Your yard, pond and house just get better and better!

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 25-08-2003, 12:32 AM
DonKcR

Hi, Wow thoes are really great pictures. Your place is wonderful! Kc
m...

Old 25-08-2003, 06:42 AM
Theo van Daele

Beautiful pictures of the heron there, thanks.

"Critical Popperian" schreef in bericht
m...

Old 25-08-2003, 08:22 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 24 Aug 2003 11:08:46 -0700, (Critical Popperian) wrote:

The Big Dig Update - Return of the Heron and Framing
http://www.popperian.com/pond/page23.htm

Wow!

As K30 mentioned, the bird must be young. The one that landed on my roof I
swear had a beak 2.5 feet long! I saw the tip of the bill a full 3 seconds
before the rest of the head showed up. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 25-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Critical Popperian

As K30 mentioned, the bird must be young. The one that landed on my roof I
swear had a beak 2.5 feet long! I saw the tip of the bill a full 3 seconds
before the rest of the head showed up. ~ jan

I have seen him have feathers sticking straight up and he's a really
big bird. If he's just a baby then holy cow!
Old 25-08-2003, 03:12 PM
K30a

When the heron is mature he'll have a lovely
ruff of neck plumes, cream in colour, down the front of his considerable neck.
It was these neck plumes which were so very popular on ladies hats and one of
the reasons the Migratory Bird Act of 1918 was enacted.

Old 25-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Theo van Daele

It proves the theory that a whisper of air can cause a storm 20.000 miles
further.

Wear funny hats, and 85 years later ponders all over the world suffer ;-)

Old 25-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Anne Lurie

I think Great Blue Herons can reach 48" tall; however, even though the bird
is a juvenile, he may be full-size, just not maturely feathered.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

om...

Old 25-08-2003, 09:12 PM
K30a

Anne wrote I think Great Blue Herons can reach 48" tall

And have a wing span of almost six feet across!

http://www.birding.com/3672gbh.asp

not the best picture of the featherly plumes
but it gives you an idea of a mature bird.
and
it has a migratory map. Other books show summer
only a bit lower on the map.

Old 27-08-2003, 12:12 AM
dt

Critical Popperian wrote:

As K30 mentioned, the bird must be young. The one that landed on my roof I
swear had a beak 2.5 feet long! I saw the tip of the bill a full 3 seconds
before the rest of the head showed up. ~ jan

I have seen him have feathers sticking straight up and he's a really
big bird. If he's just a baby then holy cow!

Great pictures!

I've really got to get to work on a heron feeder.....uh, I mean *pond*
of my own.

DT