Old 24-08-2003, 11:42 PM
Glen Scott

Default Can Rats Harm Ponds??

The other day (to my surprise), I noticed a RAT by my pond.... Should
I be concerned about this nasty critter??? Can a rat harm my fish???
Can they spread any disease to my fish??? What's the best way to get
rid of these creatures???
Old 25-08-2003, 12:42 AM
K30a

This is the first I've heard of rats and ponds!

It was probably just drinking from the pond, especially if it has been really
hot and dry
your way.
I guess an old fashioned rat trap would catch him,
though I'd worry about neighbor's cats so I'd look into some kind of humane
trap.

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 25-08-2003, 01:42 AM
joe

K30a wrote:

I guess an old fashioned rat trap would catch him,
though I'd worry about neighbor's cats so I'd look into some kind of humane
trap.

I had the same problem last year. After killing two birds and only one rat I
gave them up. A friend of mine has had success putting bait in a piece of
PVC, 4" diameter about two feet long, that the rats can get in to, but the
birds stay out. I'm too paranoid about my dogs eating the rat afterwards to
try it.

My theory: if they aren't in my house, I don't much care.

Joe

Old 25-08-2003, 04:02 AM
Chris + Jacqui

My theory: if they aren't in my house, I don't much care.

Joe

That's how I feel about the mice around my pond too. Once they set foot
inside it's war, but outside live & let live rules apply.

Jacqui

Old 25-08-2003, 05:32 AM
jammer

You dont remember me posting i found a drowned rat in my pond and
asked if they eat toadpoles? Maybe a coincidence that my toadies
disappeared and maybe not. Someone said it was more what rats wont
eat.

Old 25-08-2003, 05:32 AM
K30a

jammer wrote You dont remember me posting

Well, it's been awful hot here this summer...
I plan to begin functioning again after Labor Day!

Old 25-08-2003, 06:23 AM
Karen Mullen

In article , Glen Scott
writes:

The other day (to my surprise), I noticed a RAT by my pond....

I had rats around the pond in Houston, neighbors didn't do much yardwork and
they lived in the mess, but just came to my pond to drink, never bothered the
fish or my dogs.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 26-08-2003, 09:42 AM
Paul

Rats are good swimmers, maybe he was just having a quick dip.

Paul