Old 25-08-2003, 05:22 AM
K30a

Default OT ~ saga of a Sunday afternoon

Today DH trimmed the ivy off the front steps, then
stopped it from going inbetween Eldest son's window
screen and window
just like I asked,
and then......
he started pulling it off the house...
which was a big mistake because
the ivy was hiding the damage the
ivy was doing to the house...
so now we are painting the house
starting next Saturday.
And all ivy MUST die,
a terrible death,
so we'll be redoing the front bed
where the ivy is hunkered down in.
The sidewalk I've lobbied so hard for
this summer,
may still get done
in October
depending on the weather.
So then we checked the sprinkler to see how
it was reaching that particular bed...
Then we decided to check ALL the sprinklers.
and we found several that need to be fixed,
branches that need to be trimmed so the water
can go where it needs to,
and then we discovered rotten siding behind the
rose bush and a maple tree actually growing up
through the rose bush,
then we looked up at the deck and just shook our
heads.....

MORAL of the story, when DW says trim the ivy
here and there at the front of the house, don't get ambitious ~ you'll end up
rebuilding the deck at the back of the house.

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 25-08-2003, 05:32 AM
DonKcR

Isn't that always the way start one simple job and end up with three big
ones. Good luck with the chores! Kc

Old 25-08-2003, 06:23 AM
Nedra

Gosh Kathy ... My Mother always told me to keep the
Ivy
trimmed away from the house. One of her lessons (nags)
I wish I had listened to ;-)
The Ivy
has taken over the house and now the trees need to be
stripped of the stuff again.
How well I can identify!

Nedra

Old 25-08-2003, 08:12 AM
Karen Mullen

boy can I identify with you. the man I bot this house from didn't believe in
yardwork. The fence along oneside was almost falling over it was so heavy with
ivy. I trailed into the yard/lawn. I found maple trees growing in cracks on
the driveway to lower garage and on the stairwell in the flower beds, some had
gotten quite large. I spent my first summer in Ohio clearing out the growth he
let run amuck.

Sorry to hear you're have the same troubles, hope the redo is swift and the
outcome delightful.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 25-08-2003, 06:12 PM
joe

That stuff is way nasty. We bought a house here in San Diego once that had
the stuff growing up one side of the house, across the side yard and up the
fence. We ended up having to re-stucco the wall of the house and replace the
fence.

Joe

Old 25-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Anne Lurie

Here's another hint, in case you ever find yourself *inside* with too much
time on your hands:

Never try to clean one spot on a wall....... unless you're ready to repaint
the whole room... or maybe the whole house!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC