Old 26-08-2003, 12:04 PM
pixi

Default Pond vacuum

Did I read something about a wet-dry vacuum cleaner that would clean the
bottom of the pond without having to empty the cleaner? That is, that
debris and water just pass through the cleaner onto the ground.

Or was I dreaming?

Pixi

Old 26-08-2003, 04:02 PM
joe

pixi wrote:

Did I read something about a wet-dry vacuum cleaner that would clean the
bottom of the pond without having to empty the cleaner? That is, that
debris and water just pass through the cleaner onto the ground.

I think lots of people on the group use a wet/dry vacuum. I build this:

http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/pondpage4.html

Design courtesy of RichToyBox. It works great!

Joe

Old 26-08-2003, 10:32 PM
Anne Lurie

Joe,

I don't suppose you have any ideas for those of us who have the wet-vac
already, but don't want to have to empty the thing out? (My water garden is
really tiny, so the design you show would be way more than I need.)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 27-08-2003, 01:12 AM
joe

Anne Lurie wrote:

I don't suppose you have any ideas for those of us who have the wet-vac
already, but don't want to have to empty the thing out? (My water garden is
really tiny, so the design you show would be way more than I need.)

Sorry Anne, but I know several on the list use the wet vac, maybe someone
will answer.

Joe

Old 27-08-2003, 02:32 AM
RichToyBox

Anne,

I recently bought a shopvac to clean the veggie filters, in addition to the
filter mentioned by Joe. I found only Shop-Vac brand, and only some of
those, have the pump out feature that empties the shop vac through a garden
hose while the vacuum is pulling water from the pond. The pump is not
capable of keeping up with the shop vac, so you have to vac an area and then
suck air for a while for it to empty some of the water, or it will fill the
reservoir and then shut off.
--
RichToyBox

. com...

Old 27-08-2003, 08:42 PM
zookeeper

RichToyBox wrote:
... I found only Shop-Vac brand, and only some of
those, have the pump out feature that empties the shop vac through a garden
hose while the vacuum is pulling water from the pond. The pump is not
capable of keeping up with the shop vac, so you have to vac an area and then
suck air for a while for it to empty some of the water, or it will fill the
reservoir and then shut off.

We bought a Craftsman 16 gallon wet/dry vacuum last fall (Model No.
338.17923). It has the built-in pump and sounds similar to RTB's
Shop-Vac (might even be the same machine as Craftsman often relabels
appliances made by other companies).

We just attach a garden hose to the pump output and pump the pond water
and muck to garden and flower beds. I made a mesh "bag" (actually the
mesh liner from old running pants with drawstring waist and ankles) and
attach it to the input inside the vacuum body; it keeps the water filter
attachment from clogging too quickly. It catches leaves, rocks, twigs,
dragonfly nymphs and other insects / larvae, then I dump that into a
mesh pond basket near the pond so that the insects can get back to the
pond. When I'm really adventurous and want to dig around in the muck, I
separate the nymphs / bugs, and small plant parts or rhizomes
(anacharis, iris, water lily), then dump the muck onto a garden bed.

Someone on the group attaches a wet/dry vac to a Tetra retrofit drain to
periodically clean the bottom of their pond. I'm thinking of giving this
a try later.
--
Zk
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies

Old 28-08-2003, 11:32 PM
Anne Lurie

Hmm, there must be a gift-giving occasion coming up sometime in my future!
(I finally managed to steer my hubby toward giving me birthday presents like
a garden tiller, a self-propelled lawn mower, etc.)

Maybe it's time to have 2 shop vacs, one wet & one dry! Anybody else ever
vacuum up just a teeny bit of water, having forgotten that you had the "dry"
filter inside, not the "wet" one? If not, count yourself lucky, 'cause it's
a mess if you discover it several months later!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 29-08-2003, 01:04 AM
joe

Aaaaaaack! Wait a minute. I've been told, in no uncertain terms, by every
woman I ever knew that such gifts were unacceptable, unromantic and not to
be given to any woman at anytime.

No wonder we men are such a confused lot.

Joe

Old 29-08-2003, 03:35 AM
Karen Mullen

In article , joe writes:

that such gifts were unacceptable, unromantic and not to
be given to any woman at anytime.

they're fine if accompanied by roses, diamonds or the like VBG

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 30-08-2003, 10:12 PM
Anne Lurie

Well, Joe, I guess it depends on the woman! But, after 35 years of marriage,
my hubby got the hint when he found the flyer from Lowe's Home Center with
several items circled in red and marked in yellow highlighter, complete with
happy face!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Anne Lurie wrote:

Hmm, there must be a gift-giving occasion coming up sometime in my

future!
(I finally managed to steer my hubby toward giving me birthday presents

like
a garden tiller, a self-propelled lawn mower, etc.)

Polaris "Spa wand" for vacuum of pond yobdab Ponds 2 27-10-2004 10:09 PM
Pond Vacuum Design bk Ponds 2 12-10-2004 07:14 PM
Pond Vacuum hire ....Bucks ? Tony M United Kingdom 25 11-06-2004 09:36 AM
Lowe's Pond/Pool vacuum? Weldon Wallick Ponds 8 28-07-2003 02:12 AM
Pond vacuum/ no electriciry needed Jan Ponds 7 16-05-2003 04:56 PM