Old 27-08-2003, 05:02 PM
FBCS

Default How late is too late?

I am digging ... it is going slowly.... how long do I have for the pond to
process before going into winter. I'm zone 7a. Does irt matter? Joann

Old 27-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Nedra

Autumn is the ideal time to put in a new pond. Only thing
is do Not introduce fish - I waited until the following
spring to do that.

Good Luck!

Nedra

Old 27-08-2003, 07:32 PM
FBCS

What will I do with my fish? I am enlarging the area where my fish are now
in preforms.
ink.net...

Old 27-08-2003, 08:42 PM
jammer

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:53:41 GMT, "Nedra"
wrote:

Autumn is the ideal time to put in a new pond. Only thing
is do Not introduce fish - I waited until the following
spring to do that.

Good Luck!

Nedra

"FBCS" wrote in message
. ..
I am digging ... it is going slowly.... how long do I have for the pond to
process before going into winter. I'm zone 7a. Does irt matter? Joann

And then it may depend on the kind of fish you want, too. Mine was dug
and water and fish put in the same day. GF. They are fine and a year
old.
Zone 7 something...north Texas

Old 27-08-2003, 11:42 PM
jammer

You have to be more careful with koi...i will let the koi experts help
you. (I have GF only)
Good luck and i hope you'll be enjoying the pond soon. Hang out here
and you will learn loads.

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 19:49:39 GMT, "FBCS" wrote:

I have GF and Koi
.. .
wrote:

Autumn is the ideal time to put in a new pond. Only thing
is do Not introduce fish - I waited until the following
spring to do that.

Good Luck!

Nedra

. ..

Old 28-08-2003, 12:32 AM
dkat

If you already have the fish, I can see nothing wrong with transporting them
from one "pool" to the other at almost any time. I think a concern would be
that your biological filter would not be functioning to break down the
ammonia and you would have not plants to take it in either. But if you
already have established pools then you have what you need for the fish. I
am assuming you know either let the water in the new pond set long enough
for the chemicals that come in your tap water to evaporate or to use
something such as pond care stress coat to remove them... I would use that
in any case since the fish will be stressed when you move them.

DKat

"FBCS" wrote in message
What will I do with my fish? I am enlarging the area where my fish are now
in preforms.
ink.net...

Old 28-08-2003, 02:03 AM
Nedra

Opps .. didn't know you had fish! Let the new pond
sit for a week to cure. You know to add the Dechlor,
etc. Same would apply to both goldfish and koi...
just make sure the temp of the water is within 10
degrees of the first pond.

Nedra

"FBCS" wrote in message
What will I do with my fish? I am enlarging the area where my fish are now
in preforms.
ink.net...

Old 28-08-2003, 02:42 AM
RichToyBox

Joann,

It is never TOO late. If your current filters and filter material is being
used for the fish, and if you can move those filters with the fish, then the
pond should have good filtration to take care of the fish waste. If not,
then refrain from feeding, at least very much, until the filter has a chance
of building up to handle the waste. Monitor the ammonia and nitrites
closely during startup.
--
RichToyBox

Old 28-08-2003, 05:05 AM
FBCS

Hey Rich,
I have a 2000 bio-force functioning right now that I plan to keep in the
line of filtering. To the new pond (5000gal) I will be adding a Pro Pond
Skimmer to the settling tank, a Retro drain to the settling tank to a
pre-filter to the pump 5800 Sequence to 2000 Bio-Force to Skippy falls. All
are new except the 2000 Bioforce that I now use on 500 gals and it's
overworked. I have to get it in before long so my fish survive the winter.
I have thought of giving away all GF and just keeping my Koi, but I would
still be overloaded with just the Koi. Do you think I will be okay? Joann

Old 28-08-2003, 05:05 AM
FBCS

Yes, I have all functioning (not that great) it looks like the Potomac
River, I have to enlarge (too many fish). Plants are just short of being
demolished by the fish, most are floating now. My GF are just as aggressive
as my Koi. I am on well water but I still use pond care stress coat because
I was still concerned with what would be in the water. Fish look better
since using it. Joann

t...

"FBCS" wrote in message
What will I do with my fish? I am enlarging the area where my fish are

now
in preforms.
ink.net...

Old 28-08-2003, 05:05 AM
FBCS

Sorry Nedra, I should have said I have too many fish. I just don't want to
chance them not making it through the winter. Joann
ink.net...

"FBCS" wrote in message
What will I do with my fish? I am enlarging the area where my fish are

now
in preforms.
ink.net...

Old 29-08-2003, 02:04 AM
RichToyBox

Joann,

If the current filter is keeping the ammonia and nitrites at or near 0, then
it will still keep them close to zero, even with a bigger pond, because the
source of the pollution is still the same size. The Skippy will come along
after it starts seeing some food source in the water. The only part of the
system that is currently working for you that will be lost is the growth on
the current liner, which could be substantial, so just take it easy on the
food, and monitor the water quality during start up.
--
RichToyBox