GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   green pond, 1 small question. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/41582-green-pond-1-small-question.html)

Superkitt 29-08-2003 12:03 AM

green pond, 1 small question.

I know its been asked a million times, and I've asked it before myself, but
what I want to know is what material is best for using in a mechanical
filter to clean out the green.

I've read here to use a biofilter, what is the material? I have right now
just a low density foam filter to take out larger objects, need something
to clean out the micro stuff.

Joel.

Matt Helliwell 29-08-2003 07:22 PM

green pond, 1 small question.

Superkitt wrote:
I know its been asked a million times, and I've asked it before myself, but
what I want to know is what material is best for using in a mechanical
filter to clean out the green.

I've read here to use a biofilter, what is the material? I have right now
just a low density foam filter to take out larger objects, need something
to clean out the micro stuff.

You won't filter out the green with a mechanical filter: anything fine
enough to filter out the green will get blocked after a few moments.
Either play around with the plant load/shading etc. as recommended else
where or get a UV filter.

--
Matt Helliwell
www.helliwell.me.uk

~ jan JJsPond.us 30-08-2003 07:22 AM

green pond, 1 small question.

IME, bug screening has made an excellent mechanical filter for my pond and
many others. Open Cell foam from Aquatic Eco-systems
http://www.aquaticeco.com/aquatic1v1...assitemid=3030
will sieve out suspended algae, but..... if you've got serious growth going
on, it can't keep up, even with once an hour turn around time. ~ jan

See my filter designs:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

[email protected] 30-08-2003 05:42 PM

green pond, 1 small question.

polyester batting. will need to replace as soon as the water flow slows down.
remember, that algae is busy, busy, busy, dividing in teh pond. Ingrid

Superkitt wrote:

I know its been asked a million times, and I've asked it before myself, but
what I want to know is what material is best for using in a mechanical
filter to clean out the green.

I've read here to use a biofilter, what is the material? I have right now
just a low density foam filter to take out larger objects, need something
to clean out the micro stuff.

Joel.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/