GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hyrbid UV + Veggie Filter Question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/41913-hyrbid-uv-veggie-filter-question.html)

Critical Popperian 02-09-2003 05:06 AM

Hyrbid UV + Veggie Filter Question

I got a dreaded green algae bloom during the recent very hot sunny
days. Yes, I know I need more planets, etc. but I actually want to
see some water and stuff as well, i.e., full coverage is not
necessarily exactly what I want. I also want the water clear fast and
don't want to wait, haven't seen my fishies in several days.

So, I ordered a Tetra UV-3 which seems to be an excellent unit, and I
even found replacement bulbs for only $26 here locally in Atlanta from
a light bulb warehouse so the cost is not bad at all overall.

The question I have is... with the UV zapping the algae, isn't it
plausible that the nutrients the algae was eating are going to get
eaten by the plants and the plants will grow faster?

Also, anyone have a Tetra UV-3 on a large pond (10,000g)? Do you
like it / does it work well?

Sam Hopkins 02-09-2003 04:32 PM

Hyrbid UV + Veggie Filter Question

Yeah it's possible. Good call with the UV. I couldn't live without my UV
filter.

Something you should be aware of is if you dose liquid fertilizer the UV
will destroy the chelated material around the trace elements and they will
oxidize and drop out of the water column. With that in mind you may have to
increase your liquid fertilizer doses.

Sam

om...