Old 05-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Gallandro

Default Please Help Pond Fish Dieing

I have two large ponds, One pond is higher than the other (only
slightly) and runs into the other pond. There is then a pump that
takes the water through a filter then back to the top pond. My water
have been tested for Amonia, Nitrate and Nitite, and all read zero.
The strange problem is the fish is the bottom pond have started to
Die. They stop eating, stay at the bottom of the pond them come to
the top to dye, twitching and listing as they go. They look very
healthy apart from clamped fins. There are no visible parasites like
flukes or Ich. This is not the first time it has happened. last time
I think I stemmed it by adding salt or it may just be
coincedence(parasite / bacteria medications have no effect) it went
away so I restocked and now 5 months down the line I'm here again.
any ideas ? remember the top pond is never effected ?

MIKE
Old 05-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Sam Hopkins

If another shows symptoms I would catch it and toss in a Q tank with new
water and see if it's the pond water that's doing it.

Have you checked your PH?

Sam

om...

Old 06-09-2003, 02:52 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 5 Sep 2003 11:44:44 -0700, (Gallandro) wrote:

[...]

Mike, Please fill out the sick fish/pond form below:

Please fill out the form below and repost to rec.ponds. Answer what you
can, leave the others blank that you can't, but don't delete the questions:

Pond Size in Gallons? (litres*.26=US Gallons):

Water Source (Well, Irrigation, City?)
If City how is water treated?: =

Time in Operation?
(How old is the pond/water?):

Liner type? (EPDM,PVC,RUBBER,Cement/Concrete etc):

Fish Population?
Type? Size? QTY, Time in Pond:

Food? Type and Frequency of feedings.:

Pump Type, IN/OUT of pond, GPH etc
(Describe your filtration system as well as possible):

Prefilter media type? Last cleaned?:

Filter is BIO or Mechanical? Last cleaned? How?:

Carbon added? How much? When last changed?:

Aeration? Waterfalls? Bubblers?
Venturies?:

Water Temp?

PH?:

Ammonia (ppm or mg/l):

Nitrite (ppm or mg/l):

Nitrate (ppm or mg/l):

Water Color, cloudiness, odor?:

Water changes? (% of pond volume and how often):

Additives used (water conditioners etc):

Tests done by self or another?:

Weather (what's it been like lately?):

Medications used?:

What Zone or Country of residence?:

~ jan
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 06-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Gallandro

Pond Size in Gallons? (litres*.26=US Gallons):

4000 gallans

Water Source (Well, Irrigation, City?)

Collected Rain water

If City how is water treated?: =

N/A

Time in Operation?

3 years

(How old is the pond/water?):

3 years

Liner type? (EPDM,PVC,RUBBER,Cement/Concrete etc):

Rubber

Fish Population?

20 10 top section 10 bottom

Type? Size? QTY, Time in Pond:

koi, dont know type, red white and black, 10cm in size
lost first stock at 6 months, now loosing this new batch from 4 -5
months

Food? Type and Frequency of feedings.:

feed one a week on weatgerm in winter and in these summer monts every
day with high protein

Pump Type, IN/OUT of pond, GPH etc
(Describe your filtration system as well as possible):

not sure of make, turns over bottom water to top in about 4 hours
airiation frovided by waterfall, both top and vottom use a gravel
filter

Prefilter media type? Last cleaned?:

course gravel, 2 months

Filter is BIO or Mechanical? Last cleaned? How?:

gravel mech Bio

Carbon added? How much? When last changed?:

None

Aeration? Waterfalls? Bubblers?

waterfall causing disturbence

Venturies?:

none

Water Temp?

not sure will check .. 15 - 20 at a guess

PH?:

8

Ammonia (ppm or mg/l):

0

Nitrite (ppm or mg/l):

0

Nitrate (ppm or mg/l):

0 - 0.1

Water Color, cloudiness, odor?:

clear to slightly green

Water changes? (% of pond volume and how often):

rains alot hear so not sure

Additives used (water conditioners etc):

none

Tests done by self or another?:

self and other + shop

Weather (what's it been like lately?):

warm / sunny

Medications used?:

interpet bacteria medicen and interpaet fugal and interpet pasrasite

What Zone or Country of residence?:

England

~ jan

weird thing is the top pond section is fine. ???

Thanks Mike
Old 06-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Gallandro

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message ...
If another shows symptoms I would catch it and toss in a Q tank with new
water and see if it's the pond water that's doing it.

Have you checked your PH?

Sam

"Gallandro" wrote in message
om...
[...]

This was one of the first things tried. I have a large 440 ltr fush
tank that I filled with water from neibers pond wich is OK, and fish
still dies the same.

No visual symptoms apart from fin clamping.
No excess mucus colors, spots etc. look in good health.

Old 06-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Gallandro

The only thing I can come up with is maybe it is Costia ? although
there is no redness or gulping for air. but they do go off there
food, retreat to the bottom of the pond before comming up to die.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:02 PM
dkat

If you are only having die off in the lower pond, then I would suspect some
type of ground runoff (pesticide?) that is collecting in the bottom pond but
either from the filtering or exposure to air going into the upper pond does
not or has not to this point made the concentration yet to bother the upper
pond.... Are the liners different in the top vs bottom pond? Have you had
any die off of the upper pond at all? What other differences are there
between the top and bottom pond other than the level?

DK

om...

Old 06-09-2003, 04:32 PM
GD

From your earlier description of the two ponds: your system filters
water from the bottom pond and dumps that back into the top pond.
Effectively, the water that supplies the bottom pond is unfiltered (it
includes wastes from fish in the top pond. You state that ammonia is
0. Is this true of both ponds? And, have you checked the ammonia
(and other parameters) after the fish began suffering? If ammonia
levels exceed 0.5 mg/L, fish may clamp fins and are much more
susceptile to disease and other environmental stresses.

Old 06-09-2003, 07:02 PM
joe

Yes, good thinking. Something heavier than water. Perhaps you could get a
pump to the lowest point of the pond an pump out some of the water. Don't
forget to add dechlor when you add water.

Joe

Old 06-09-2003, 11:13 PM
Gallandro

The test run on Amonia and Nitrate/ Nitrite were all taken from the
bottom effected pond. Both ponds have the same liner and are the same
largesize. I only use collected rain water to top up, but it not
often required. The two ponds are even stocked the same so I am
really baffled as to how only one is effected, never mind as to what
it is ..more dead today .. :-(

From your earlier description of the two ponds: your system filters

Old 06-09-2003, 11:23 PM
Gallandro

absolutly no die off at all in the top pond, only thing not effected
in the botton pond have been two goldenorfs .. liners and stock
exactly the same in both ponds. The ponds have been going 3 years and
this problem only started in year two and keeps commingback .... after
this time if it was a chamical I would have expected it to have go
into the top pond by now ?

"dkat" wrote in message .net...
If you are only having die off in the lower pond, then I would suspect some
type of ground runoff (pesticide?) that is collecting in the bottom pond but
either from the filtering or exposure to air going into the upper pond does
not or has not to this point made the concentration yet to bother the upper
pond.... Are the liners different in the top vs bottom pond? Have you had
any die off of the upper pond at all? What other differences are there
between the top and bottom pond other than the level?

DK

om...

Old 06-09-2003, 11:23 PM
Gallandro

The pond is at the lowestpoint,but it does seem what ever it is canot
get to the top pond, via the pump and filter. this ring any bells ?
salt also seems to hold it off for a few months.

Old 07-09-2003, 12:33 AM
joe

Is the pump that moves water from the lower pond to the upper pond at the
lowest point in the lower pond? In other words, is it possible there is
stagnant water?

Joe

Old 07-09-2003, 02:42 AM
RichToyBox

Based on what you have described, I first thought it might be a difference
in oxygen content, since the elevation difference between the two ponds is
small, then there would not be much of a waterfall to oxygenate the bottom
pond, like you might have from the filter to the top pond. The symptoms
just didn't fit. Since the waterfall from the top pond to the bottom pond
acts as a skimmer for the top pond, then a large amount of debris will
accumulate in the bottom pond compared to the top pond. I had this
situation after I put in my current small pond, which was connected to two
preform ponds. The accumulated debris will undergo anaerobic digestion,
creating hydrogen sulfide gas which would cause symptoms similar to what you
describe. The hydrogen sulfide would be blown off by the water fall from
the main filter and may not be toxic enough in the top pond, but lethal in
the bottom pond. If so, use PP to neutralize the H2S and clean the bottom
of the lower pond.
--
RichToyBox

om...

Old 08-09-2003, 03:04 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Ditto. Where in the pond system is the sample being taken?

And I see I need to add one more question to my sick fish form.

What is your KH?

I think when you test for that, being that you're using rainwater that has
no buffer, you will find your problem. Another way to check buffer (or lack
there of) is test the pH at dawn & dust, if your pH fluctuates more than
0.4 you do not have enough buffer. To add buffer use common baking soda,
but check it with a KH tester first, and make sure there is NO ammonia in
the system.

How old are your test kits, are they reading the same as the shop?

I have a similar pond set up only smaller, one pond feeding into another,
my water chemistry was off just a tad this spring, and it was the lower
fish who got sick. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

From your earlier description of the two ponds: your system filters

(Gallandro) wrote:

The only thing I can come up with is maybe it is Costia ? although
there is no redness or gulping for air. but they do go off there
food, retreat to the bottom of the pond before comming up to die.

Filtering out dirt and fish waste question,.building a small waterfall, fish dieing, help me? jammer Ponds 24 17-09-2004 04:42 AM
Filtering out dirt and fish waste question,.building a small waterfall, fish dieing, help me? jammer Ponds 0 14-09-2004 06:48 AM
fantails dieing help! dkat Ponds 8 21-07-2003 02:14 AM
plants dieing? tom Ponds 4 02-06-2003 04:08 PM
help! my cactus is dieing. Billy Gardening 7 12-03-2003 04:44 PM