GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Snails and plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/42491-snails-plants.html)

Barry 08-09-2003 02:12 PM

Snails and plants

I purchased an Apple Snail ($4.99). Put him or her in my 3' deep pond.
Within 20 minutes he was at the top munching on these floating lettuce
like plants I have. I knocked him down twice. Happily I found him on the
bottom this morning munching on the bottom gunk.

Are these guys a danger for plants?

Gale Pearce 08-09-2003 03:12 PM

Snails and plants

Yeah, they like the green leafy leaves of the pond plants as well as the
algae - a good place for info & reference is www.applesnail.net
Gale :~)

jammer 09-09-2003 12:09 AM

Snails and plants

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 13:03:57 GMT, "Barry"
wrote:

I purchased an Apple Snail ($4.99). Put him or her in my 3' deep pond.
Within 20 minutes he was at the top munching on these floating lettuce
like plants I have. I knocked him down twice. Happily I found him on the
bottom this morning munching on the bottom gunk.

Are these guys a danger for plants?

Yeah, there were some at the local pond store. I asked "Dont those
things eat the plants?" and the lady replied, "If they did, we
wouldn't sell them" I didn't believe her.

Green Mama's
Davis Blvd.
NRH, Texas

Hank 09-09-2003 11:11 PM

Snails and plants

When I purchased mine three years ago I was told they would not winter
in NJ. They are still alive ( a few fell victim to raccoons, but
that's another story) and as large as an apple. As long as there is
enough algae to feed on they don't bother the plants much. Of course
this year I really got my algae under control so I sacrifice some
watercress to save my lilies. If you have no algae try feeding lettuce
or they love orange slices ......... if they can get it away from the
koi.
You do know they are frowned upon in some southern states.
Check out this link.
http://doacs.state.fl.us/~pi/plantin...nailMainx.html

http://community.webshots.com/user/hankpage1

ink.net...