Old 09-09-2003, 05:53 AM
FBCS

Default Calling dr solo, Calling dr solo

Ingrid help, anybody else can jump right on in with suggestions.

I noticed some of my GF have black in their gills (inside). Is it something
to be concerned about. I have tested the water and all seems fine. They look
fine none are wacking out. None of my Koi have this. I never noticed this on
them before last week. What made me notice was one of my ugly black GF that
I thought was gone showed up a pretty red gold then I noticed the black
inside the gills thought it was his coloring then I noticed some of the
others had the same thing. I have read about gill damage, is this it? Joann

Old 09-09-2003, 06:08 AM
FBCS

I just came across this at Koivet, is it a possibility?
Second paragraph - they have not seemed to be sick. Joann
snip
Black Spots Appearing
Some little black spots are called Shimi. This is an unfortunate
genetic defect in some fish wherein a Kohaku gets some little black dots and
they're suddenly a worthless Sanke. There is also a growing body of evidence
that suggests the condition may be common in water with high turnover or
exposure to caustic irritants like Chlorine. Case in point: Shimi is rarely
noted in natural greenwater ponds but is common in crowded manipulated reuse
systems.
Another type of blackening is a generalized type wherein the fins and
body may develop a blackening change from chronic or caustic trauma. Case in
Point: Fish are badly ammonia burned by a filtration failure or
inadequacy --- A week later, after water quality is restored, the fish
develop blackened areas, called a Melanophore Migration. Severe parasitisms
can later cause blackening as the skin starts to heal. The blackening is not
permanent, but may remain for two to four weeks before subsiding.

Old 10-09-2003, 03:16 AM
RichToyBox

Joann,

Shimi's are black markings on kohaku koi, usually, that are not supposed to
be there. It is apparently caused, per some, by the sanke coming out in
them. Makes for a good kohaku into a very poor excuse for a sanke. There
are methods of surgically removing shimi's.
--
RichToyBox

Old 10-09-2003, 05:32 AM
FBCS

Yes Rich, but the second paragraph states-
Another type of blackening is a generalized type wherein the fins and
body may develop a blackening change from chronic or caustic trauma. Case in
Point: Fish are badly ammonia burned by a filtration failure or
inadequacy --- A week later, after water quality is restored, the fish
develop blackened areas, called a Melanophore Migration. Severe parasitisms
can later cause blackening as the skin starts to heal. The blackening is not
permanent, but may remain for two to four weeks before subsiding.

So maybe they are healing from something.

Joann

Old 11-09-2003, 01:21 AM

no idea. call Jo Ann. 1-251-649-4790

"FBCS" wrote:

Ingrid help, anybody else can jump right on in with suggestions.

I noticed some of my GF have black in their gills (inside). Is it something
to be concerned about. I have tested the water and all seems fine. They look
fine none are wacking out. None of my Koi have this. I never noticed this on
them before last week. What made me notice was one of my ugly black GF that
I thought was gone showed up a pretty red gold then I noticed the black
inside the gills thought it was his coloring then I noticed some of the
others had the same thing. I have read about gill damage, is this it? Joann

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:19 AM
Tom La Bron

So Jo Ann,

Test for ammonia and/or nitrites. Rule that out. If they readings are up
you may have your cause. If you are worried about Parasitism's do a gill
scrape and look under a microscope for bad bugs. If the area is healing it
will blacken, but you need to figure out what caused it.

Tom L.L.
===========================
news

Old 11-09-2003, 08:09 AM
FBCS

I have watched, readings seem normal my PH runs high all the time. I do
water changes weekly.
The black color is disappearing. Your right I have concidered parasites but
I don't know if I have it in me to do (scraping) that. I had changed
bio-filters mid summer and had to wait for it to process. Water was looking
like the Potomac River (muddy). It is clearing now, not he best but things
are finally processing properly. I had taken off the UV to get the bio
filter going, I am going to turn it back on now. I will keep an eye on them.
If it is parasites do I treat the whole pond? Thanks Joann
"Tom La Bron" wrote in message
So Jo Ann,

Test for ammonia and/or nitrites. Rule that out. If they readings are up
you may have your cause. If you are worried about Parasitism's do a gill
scrape and look under a microscope for bad bugs. If the area is healing

it
will blacken, but you need to figure out what caused it.

Tom L.L.
news

"FBCS" wrote in message
[...]

solo backpack sprayer--cleaning out inlet screen??? coyotefred Roses 7 20-04-2011 11:06 PM
solo backpack sprayer--cleaning out inlet screen??? coyotefred Gardening 6 15-04-2004 05:32 AM
solo fish NICK ROULSTONE Ponds 2 09-09-2003 11:31 PM
Dr Solo Bonnie Espenshade Gardening 1 30-05-2003 09:56 PM
south side of a solo tree in open field is the best side Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 2 15-05-2003 03:20 PM