Old 12-09-2003, 07:11 AM
Kodiak

Default BulkHead Fittings

Where can I get bulkhead fittings 1", 3/4", 1/2" without having to pay a
fortune. (mail order)
These are fittings with a nut on both sides so you can attach it to the
bottom of a vessel or container,
eg: used to make a biological filter out of a plastic barrel, so you can
attach a hose to a vessel etc...
My local hardware wants 28$ for a 3/4" fitting.

Old 12-09-2003, 08:37 AM
KenCo

Kodiak wrote:

Where can I get bulkhead fittings 1", 3/4", 1/2" without having to pay a
fortune. (mail order)
These are fittings with a nut on both sides so you can attach it to the
bottom of a vessel or container,
eg: used to make a biological filter out of a plastic barrel, so you can
attach a hose to a vessel etc...
My local hardware wants 28$ for a 3/4" fitting.

go to a lg. plumbing supply store or
a boat/marine dealer for those sizes

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced

Old 12-09-2003, 09:32 AM
Megan

Try checking this site. It shows how to make them from other pvc parts.
really easy and really cheap to make.

-m

Old 12-09-2003, 03:13 PM
Lee Brouillet

Aquatic Ecosystems at http://www.aquaticeco.com has them, from "economy" to
"expensive". They also have something called Uniseals that are ideal for
installation in tanks, drums, etc. They're much cheaper, but they won't work
on items that have thickness, like going through a plywood tank. A 3/4"
Uniseal is only $2 A "brownie point" for the Uniseal is that you slide
your pvc through it, and it isn't glued. Therefore, you can push several
extra inches through it and adjust afterwards, just in case you find out
that you really needed a distance of 7" instead of the 6.25" you cut and
glued . . .

Lee

Old 12-09-2003, 05:23 PM
PlainBill

I suggest using PVC to MPT and PVC to FPT (male and female pipe
thread) adapters. This works quite well with the 1 1/2" and 2" sizes
necessary for my barrel filter; smaller sizes should be even easier.

Make the hole just large enough to accomodate the male threads.
Ideally, you will be able to screw the male adapter easily into the
hole, but it will be snug enough you can't pull it out. Obviously,
the female adapter is screwed onto the male adapter and tightened down
to make a tight seal with the drum wall.

Some people suggest cutting a gasket from a scrap of pond liner
material. I simply coated the threads and mating surfaces liberally
with clear RTV before screwing the parts together. As a bonus, it
makes an excellent thread lubricant, making it easy to tighten the
parts together.

PlainBill

Old 12-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Megan

Oh wow, sorry about that. I blame it on being sometime way too late last
night when i posted. here it is. http://www.perigee.net/~jrjohns/web19.html

-m
"D Kat" wrote in message
what site?

Old 13-09-2003, 07:42 AM
Kodiak

Wow, thanks for all the info folks....
....Kodiak

"Megan" wrote in message
Oh wow, sorry about that. I blame it on being sometime way too late last
night when i posted. here it is.

http://www.perigee.net/~jrjohns/web19.html

-m
"D Kat" wrote in message
what site?

"Kodiak" wrote in message
Where can I get bulkhead fittings 1", 3/4", 1/2" without having to

pay
fortune. (mail order)
These are fittings with a nut on both sides so you can attach it to

the
bottom of a vessel or container,
eg: used to make a biological filter out of a plastic barrel, so you

can
attach a hose to a vessel etc...
My local hardware wants 28$ for a 3/4" fitting.

Source for reverse-threaded (non-bulkhead) PVC fittings for greenhouse? ker_01 Gardening 9 02-02-2009 07:47 PM
Suggestions for buying Fourmost Bulkhead Fittings in UK for DIY CO2 Apro Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 14-01-2009 05:37 AM
BulkHead Fittings Kodiak Ponds 0 12-09-2003 07:09 AM
4" Bulkhead into 150 gallon stock tank? Oingofan Ponds 8 31-01-2003 06:51 PM
4" Bulkhead into 150 gallon stock tank? Tom La Bron Ponds 1 29-01-2003 04:22 PM