Old 16-09-2003, 02:36 AM
jammer

Default 1st Pond cleaning today....Plant request

I had half filled the huge lugged home plastic pool with some pond
water and some tap with declor. I put the plants in there. The first
(tamed) fish, swam into the bucket, the second (young one i decided to
keep for some insane reason) was easy to catch. But the large
female....i would like to find a better way to do this next year. When
i finally got her, she was in pure bottom crud and little water but
she stayed flat and i couldn't find her. Then she got away time and
time again. I finally got her in the pool. I emptied the pond and
pulled out a 2 ft. ball of roots, mud, and lots of bricks for the
toads. (I still need to figure out a way to make the pond more toad
friendly around the edges early in spring) I noted that there wasn't a
hint of the huge creeping jenny plant i had in there, hardly any of
the parrot feather left, and taro was magically growing in 4 other
places besides the original monster in a pot. There was only a hint of
water celery, but it doesn't like my pond anyway. Almost all of the
ton of anacharis was gone! And the only tiny bummer was that there
wasn't a snail to be found. I wanted to bring a few in for the winter.
I used a wet/dry vac and got the shelves and bottom. I then tied a
bundle of creeping primrose to a brick on one side, a bundle of parrot
feather on the other side to a brick, and what was left of the
anacharis, i bunched up and sunk, tied to a brick. When it gets cold i
will sink the 2 WH i am keeping. That leaves 4-5 to trash. I sat the
lily back down on the bottom and fill, adding declor. I didn't take
the temp, but it felt the same. I got the two fish that were first
caught into the clean pond quickly. But that dang female, i about
killed her trying to get her back in there. She flips and jumps and
wriggles, and squirms and is good at all those things! I was about to
drain the pool when i finally got her.

I need azolla, as asked in a separate thread, creeping jenny, and some
regular little black snails.
Old 16-09-2003, 01:42 PM
J.D. Stone

"jammer" wrote in message
in part...When it gets cold i
will sink the 2 WH i am keeping.

Is this Water Hyacinth? Can you sink them and keep them alive over the
winter? I didn't know this.
JD

Old 16-09-2003, 05:42 PM
jammer

Yes, well, i'm not signing this in blood or anything, but i am in zone
7 and sunk 3 last year and 1 survived to make 10 more. Now i am
throwing them away again. I just tie them to a brick and drop it in,
then recover next mid spring. It is worth a try if you are buying them
new each year. When you pull them up, if there is one little speck of
green on them, they will make it.

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 07:05:16 -0500, "J.D. Stone"
wrote:

"jammer" wrote in message
.. .
in part...When it gets cold i

Old 17-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Barbara2245

"J.D. Stone" wrote in message ...
"jammer" wrote in message
in part...When it gets cold i
will sink the 2 WH i am keeping.

Is this Water Hyacinth? Can you sink them and keep them alive over the
winter? I didn't know this.
JD

Today was the day, I sump pump most of the water out. tepped on the
shelf, slowly lowered myself to the bottom and whosh down I went. I
got an abrashion on my leg and possiblly broke two toes. I may use
sandles for my eye appointment. Unfortunately I tossed out a few
babies with the "bath" water.
Any way it is done and tomorrow the netting goes on. There were fry
from at least three spawns so I may have killed some of the really
tiny ones be side the eight I counted. Happy water gardening.
Old 17-09-2003, 12:32 AM
mad

oh boy. this does NOT sound like fun. sorry you hurt yourself.

i went to england on a walking tour and kicked my suitcase the first morning
out. broke my second toe. didn't have too much fun after that.
mad
--
Remember: stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS!

From: (Barbara2245)
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: 16 Sep 2003 15:51:43 -0700
Subject: 1st Pond cleaning today....Plant request

"J.D. Stone" wrote in message
in part...When it gets cold i

Old 17-09-2003, 12:32 AM
Nedra

This is why I have decided that $20 is very cheap for pond
cleaning. That is what I pay to have the job done.
I hope you don't hurt as badly as I think you do. Those
broken toes hurt like the devil and are stinkers to heal.

Get well, Barbara.

Nedra

"Barbara2245" wrote in message
om...