Old 17-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Barry

Default Gravel or no gravel

Lots of folks in S. FL seem to like designing ponds with filtering systems
similar to aquarium undergravel filters. They run pvc tubes with small holes
connected to
there pumps, which then transfer the water to canister type filters. The pvc
piping is covered with a layer of gravel. I have seen many that are crystal
clear,
while others are quite nasty. One aspect that seems good is that the water
is pulled
more evenly from all areas of the pond, as opposed to a drain on one end.

Any thoughts on using these gravel filters vs. smooth bottomed ponds (vinyl
or sealed concrete)?
My pond is concrete with a black diamondbrite finish. I had once added a
layer of river rock
for contrast, but removed it due to the fast algea growth that occured.

Old 17-09-2003, 07:32 PM
K30a

I think you will find that most rec.ponders will vote for no gravel.
Just makes it a whole bunch harder to clean.
It is a pond's nature to fill in. Blown in dirt, fish waste, dead plant matter.
Eventually all natural ponds will fill in unless they get dredged out by man or
mother nature (she usually does it with a raging flood).
We don't want our ponds to fill in so we take steps to keep it from happening
by skimming, trimming plants, netting leaves, adding sludge eating bacteria,
and finally cleaning them out. Gravel just gets in the way.
You can clean around large rocks, still a bit of a hassle, but if you like the
look it may be worth the trouble.

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 17-09-2003, 10:24 PM
Paul in Redland

The general consensus of these under gravel filters is that they work quite
well. Having said that, like their aquarium counterparts, they require
periodic cleaning and that's where the trouble is. I can only imagine what
trying to clean one of these things would be like. Relocating fish and
plants, draining the water, cleaning tons and tons of gravel (depending on
the size of the pond), then putting the filter system back together, filling
with water and finally replacing plants and fish, all the while trying not
to damage the liner. Not that it couldn't be done, It's just that I prefer
my filter out of the water where it's quite easy to clean and maintain. Most
of those in this ng that comment on gravel on the bottom of their ponds have
either decided to refrain from using gravel, or have done so and regretted
it. I, personally, don't have gravel on the bottom of my pond. I came close
to adding it when the pond was new, to make it look more 'natural', but
didn't after reading many posts in this ng. Now I'm glad I didn't. The pond
bottom looks just fine after maturing some. One really has to look hard to
see the liner. Plants and a 'fuzz' of algae have it covered quite nicely.
Nothing wrong with the undergravel filters, they just take a LOT of work.
That's why some of the ones that you observed were 'nasty'. The owners
probably weren't maintaining them and they were no longer working.
Just my $0.02 worth, hope it helps you. Keep reading this ng, I'm sure
others will comment too.

Paul

hlink.net...

Old 18-09-2003, 01:12 AM
Gregory Young

No gravel.
In addition to the other comments already posted, here are a few additional
thoughts..
Gravel:
1) adds to anaerobic decomposition - hydrogen sulfide (very toxic,
immediate and delayed to fish) and methane among other, toxic gases
2) allows additional areas for parasites etc. to avoid some of the effects
are parasitidal agents added to the pond
3) adds to the organic load of the pond (trapping of debris) - lowering pH,
or at least carbonic hardness of the water.
One layer of flat rock on the bottom, not gravel is fine
Undergravel filters can work, but they are old technology, and there are
lots more efficient, less maintenance requiring systems available these
days.
Happy ponding,
Greg

"Paul in Redland" wrote in message
[...]

hlink.net...

Gravel Amount - Gravel Koi-Lo Ponds 7 08-06-2006 08:12 AM
Coarse gravel driveway Ron Kelly Australia 0 30-03-2003 02:56 AM
Under gravel filters Carmine J. Ventura JR Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 25-02-2003 01:44 AM
Changing gravel "on the fly" John Worfin Freshwater Aquaria Plants 26 24-02-2003 03:37 PM
substrate gravel too coarse? triathlon Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 15-02-2003 05:31 PM