Old 18-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Snooze

Default can't live with 'em, can't....

So this week we apparently had a big ooops at my house. I don't know how my
parents manage to do this.

I spent all summer building a two stage bio and veg filter and a trickle
tower, so that the pond would run on autopilot while I am away school. All
my parents had to do was give the fish a quarter cup of food every other
day, seems like a simple task right?

The first week I was away, they said the pond lost 2" of water, they were
unable to explain where the water went, so I guided them over the phone, on
how to add more water and dechlor it.

The second weekend I came home, cleaned up the filters and did some minor
maint, but otherwise everything was in good condition.

The 3rd week they claimed the pond had automatically overfilled itself
overnight. Right!

Which is brings us to this week, somehow overnight a 7ft hose that was
anchored to the bottom of a 55 gal drum, managed to slink out of the drum
and into the storm drain. So when my parents woke up, the pond had been
drained overnight. Course all the fish were dead.

Arrrrgh!

Guess I don't have to come home in 2 weeks to do the final clean up for
winter, only for mom's cooking and laundry

Sameer

--
Sameer

change the two in my email address to a 2, when replying

Old 18-09-2003, 05:42 PM
FBCS

Aw, I know this is disappointing. You put a lot of work into this project,
get to know the wetones and wham. Well you can replace the fish but not the
parents or can you? LOL. I'm sure they tried to do all they knew to do. Even
though I trust my husband with my life I don't know if I would trust with
the upkeep of my fish. Joann
ink.net...

Old 18-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Lee Brouillet

Sorry, Sameer . . . you worked hard to fool proof the pond, but Murphy's Law
*will* prevail: things will go wrong when you least expect it or are
prepared to handle it. Oh well - you didn't need an excuse for home cooking
now, did you? G

Lee
"FBCS" wrote in message
Aw, I know this is disappointing. You put a lot of work into this

project,
get to know the wetones and wham. Well you can replace the fish but not

the
parents or can you? LOL. I'm sure they tried to do all they knew to do.

Even
though I trust my husband with my life I don't know if I would trust with
the upkeep of my fish. Joann
ink.net...

Old 19-09-2003, 02:55 AM
tdreeves

,can't live without them! I just had to finish that this way cause I are one
a parent. Think of all the dumb things you did as a kid, then it's not so
hard to forgive. Kc from Arizona
ink.net...

Old 20-09-2003, 12:24 AM
Snooze

"tdreeves" wrote in message
,can't live without them! I just had to finish that this way cause I are

one
a parent. Think of all the dumb things you did as a kid, then it's not so
hard to forgive. Kc from Arizona

How's the view from the glass house?

Old 20-09-2003, 04:32 PM
tdreeves

No glass house here, made lotts of dumb mistakes in my life. That's how I
know how awful your parents must feel. Sorry for your loss of the koi we all
get so attached to them. Again sorry. Kc
"Snooze" wrote in message
link.net...

Old 22-09-2003, 12:55 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Hmmmm, keep this story in mind if you ever feel uncomfortable leaving the
grandkid with them. ;o) My folks got left with 4 horses and never screwed
up, my dad learn to ride and give shots. So a pond would have been nothing
for them. ;o) ~ jan

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:11:02 GMT, "Snooze" wrote:

[...]

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 22-09-2003, 09:32 AM
Snooze

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Hmmmm, keep this story in mind if you ever feel uncomfortable leaving the
grandkid with them. ;o) My folks got left with 4 horses and never screwed
up, my dad learn to ride and give shots. So a pond would have been nothing
for them. ;o) ~ jan

Sometimes i wonder what my parents would do without me. Not to long ago I
was out at a party with some friends, when I get a call from home. I'm
thinking it must be something urgent, so I go outside and take the call.
Nope, it's just dad wanting to know how to turn on the stereo system, so
that only the speakers in the living room are turned on, not the speakers in
the family room.

Today was just as bad, I was in the library studying for the 3 midterms I
have this week. When my cell phone rings (actually vibrates, on silent
alert) and I see it's my parents, so I pack up my bags, and go outside to
take the call. Important phone call? They're having guests over and wanted
to know how to turn on the garden lights.

Sameer

Old 22-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Lee Brouillet

Technology - no matter how simple - just seems to be beyond some folks ;-) !
My hubby has the entertainment system so complicated with different
components plugged into this and that, that I can only do things with it by
"routine": have no idea why it has to be done in that order, it just DOES.
My mother can't program her phone. I don't even OWN a VHS anymore - gave it
up for a DVD (which I *can* figure out!). If your folks are "old world",
they're probably just overwhelmed by it all.

Lee

.net...

Old 23-09-2003, 08:12 PM
Rich Conley

A lot of people though, are overwhelmed before they even try. They dont take the
time to just read through the instructions. and sometimes, google can be a
wonderful thing. People ask me what I think of a computer part..and I say I dont
know..they ask if I can find out

pop it into google : reviews tyan monitor. real easy.

My dad is real good like this, but sometimes I have to help my mom and sister.

RIch

Lee Brouillet wrote:

Technology - no matter how simple - just seems to be beyond some folks ;-) !
My hubby has the entertainment system so complicated with different
components plugged into this and that, that I can only do things with it by
"routine": have no idea why it has to be done in that order, it just DOES.
My mother can't program her phone. I don't even OWN a VHS anymore - gave it
up for a DVD (which I *can* figure out!). If your folks are "old world",
they're probably just overwhelmed by it all.

Lee

.net...