Old 20-09-2003, 12:36 AM
FBCS

Default Checking in - Isabel

I had a trying 24hrs. with no power. I prayed for my fish to make it
through. My DH ran around town looking for a generator with non to be found
a friend provided a mini ac/dc adapter to connect to the battery of the car
to run aerator. The wetones had been w/o water movement for 14 hrs already.
The power came on about 1 hr ago and the fish were dancing in the fall
stream of water.

We had many trees down, I live 1/2 mile off the main road. DH took off at
daybreak with the dozer and chain saws. I was able to keep all in
prespective and know many had it much worse than we. The storm had lost much
of it's punch by the time it got here (So. MD), but it was still the worst I
had ever remembered for this area. My heart goes out to those in No. Car
take took the brunt of the impact. Joann

Old 20-09-2003, 12:36 AM
K30a

Joann,
Glad to know you and yours are safe!

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 21-09-2003, 12:27 AM
Anne Lurie

Joann,

The Outer Banks of NC really got hammered (including a new inlet through
Hatteras), but inland we fared better than we did in Hurricane Floyd in
1999, when most of the deaths were due to drowning (inland, I mean).

I understand that MD & VA had some tough times, too even though Isabel had
"weakened" (I guess someone forgot to tell her).

Your description of the mini ac/dc adapter that runs off a car battery gave
me an idea. After the blackout last month, someone mentioned using a
gas-powered leaf blower to aerate a pond, so that got me thinking (always a
dangerous thing, admittedly).

We have a mini air-pump (compressor?) that plugs into a car's cigarette
lighter (or outlet on newer vehicles) and pumps air into tires. I think
that normally the release of air is controlled by the part the connects to
the tire valve (boy, my descriptive powers are failing me here!), but it
might still pump air if the connection is cut off the rubber tube.

I'm not going to go cut my gadget apart to find out, but I think it would be
a worthwhile experiment for someone trying to keep koi or other valuable
fish alive.

Just a thought,

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 21-09-2003, 12:27 AM
Hank

Anne, If you go to any bait shop or even w-Mart or k-Mart you can get
a battery operated air stone that will run for hours on one D battery.
They are used to keep live bait "live". They are cheap also.

Old 21-09-2003, 12:47 AM
FBCS

Glad to hear you did well and are safe. There are still many in our area w/o
power, 24hrs w/o wasn't bad I consider myself blessed. I was at the grocery
earlier trying to get ice. They just had a shipment come in it was
unbelievable the poor grocer was mobbed by about 20 shoppers trying to get
ice to keep their food from spoiling. I wasn't worried about my food
spoiling when the power was out. I was worried about my fish getting the air
they desperately needed.

My DH had thought of the compressor air pump, great minds think alike. He
said they make them specifically to pump up rafts and air mattresses that do
not have a tire valve and is less than $20. Next time! Joann

Old 21-09-2003, 01:22 AM
Mickey

You wouldn't have to cut it apart. Go to a place that sells tires and mounts
them. Buy a valve stem.

Old 21-09-2003, 02:12 AM
Robyn Rhudy

I live in Central MD. We lost power at 6:01 pm Thurs and got it back 6:04
pm Fri so not too bad. A large locust was on our power lines, with the
root ball sticking up. We have 5 acres. We huge top of a tulip poplar
down and leveled about 20 smaller trees with it. Tons of leaves and
branches. Had air pumps for aquariums and batteries never ran out. Had
generator run twice Fri for about 2 hours each time and ran main pond
pump, freezer, and well pump on that. Ants kept tripping my pond as they
moved all their eggs into the plug-in box. My boss lives on Kent Island.
I don't know yet but he may have been flooded.

On a lighter note, I'm horribly ill. It started last Sat with weakness
and then got sore throat Sun and then off and on fever up to 101 every day
since then plus painful throat, ears, total congestion, inability to
speak, headache, diarrhea, absolutely no appetite, hard to type, should be
in bed, spent 13 hours today doing chores, ran 3 hours late, didn't get to
computer chores really, took off work Thurs and Fri (they'll make me pay
since I had overdue work and more to do, I'll have to work even harder and
have to go in Mon no matter what), and now, to make things worse, my eye
is infected. It's like snot is coming from my eye. It's so irritating.
My father's eyes are blood red from the same thing. We went to a clinic
today but they're all closed so maybe Mon after a morning at hell (that's
what I call my job), I can see my incompetent primary care physician. Oh,
did I mention my tonsils are coated in white goo? Tonsilitis? Ironic,
the best night's rest I had this week was the night of the hurricane as it
sounded like a constant freight train and lulled me to sleep. I was up
all night last night, can't stop coughing, taking tons of meds, so sick,
Nyquil overnight won't even let me sleep.

So, those waiting for e-mails from me will have to wait. Can't work on my
site either. Oh, also, my e-mail today was full of that new virus so some
e-mails may have bounced. I guess I should go die now. If only I could
pass out.

Important Notice! Robyn's web site will be moving from
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/ to http://www.fishpondinfo.com
on or around 10/4/03. This e-mail as well as the site will be deleted at
an unknown time by UMBC without my input. After 10/4/03, please use the
e-mail of instead of this e-mail. Thanks.

Chemist, preservationist, animal lover, aquarist, and ponder. -
Extensive web pages on animals, fish, and ponds. -
http://www.fishpondinfo.com
Free pond newsletter - sign up at my web site -
Finally! Buy Robyn's Pond Book at www.1stbooks.com -

Old 21-09-2003, 02:32 AM
Hank

If you read the directions for the 12volt compressor I am sure it will
tell you not to run it for longer than 15 minutes. If you want to use
12volt get a small marine bilge pump and connect it to a spray
bar.(pvc pipe with holes drilled down one side and a cap on the end)
The pumps are submerged and made to run constantly.

http://community.webshots.com/user/hankpage1

Old 21-09-2003, 02:32 AM
Anne Lurie

Joann,

I'm glad to hear that great minds think alike, as I gave up trying to
explain to Hank that I was not the one whose pond needed aeration or to
Mickey that I would not know what to do with the valve stem he suggested I
buy (I confess that I did have one idea, but I don't think we want to
discuss it here).

Take care,

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 21-09-2003, 02:42 AM
jammer

Sounds like strep, go to a dr or you'll be in the hospital. The ER is
good for weekend illnesses and doesn't require time off work. Hope you
feel better soon. Go to a doctor!

Old 21-09-2003, 03:02 AM
K30a

Robyn,
Sending you a VAT of virtual hot
chicken soup!!
Get better soon!

Old 21-09-2003, 10:49 PM
Anne Lurie

Robyn,

You *have* to get better -- I've already bookmarked your new URL

Seriously, though, I think jammer is right that you may have strep throat.
Also, I'm sending you the virtual matzo balls to go with the virtual chicken
soup k30a is sending! (Plus virtual Mint Milano cookies for when your
throat is better.)

BTW, speaking of strep throat, I discovered the hard way that most ice cream
is fine on the throat -- but *chocolate* ice cream makes the pain worse,
alas....... (But this was 30+ years ago, maybe things are different now.)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 21-09-2003, 11:05 PM
KenCo

[...]

get some fresh ginger root, about 2 fingers size,
slice it thin and boil in a few cups of water until
its light brown color and smells like ginger.

add some sugar and drink it warm, it works great so
forget the taste, lol, you will feel it burn when
it hits the infection/s.

reputed to kill strep, staph and ecoli on contact
I use it when im sick, works well!.

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced

Isabel Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 11 29-09-2003 01:02 PM
OT--Isabel & Sinus Problems Shiva Roses 2 24-09-2003 10:02 PM
Checking in - Isabel FBCS Ponds 1 20-09-2003 12:26 AM
Checking in - Isabel FBCS Ponds 0 20-09-2003 12:25 AM
Hurricane Isabel's possible path Anne Lurie Ponds 30 19-09-2003 11:38 PM