Old 20-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Gale Pearce

Default OT - possibly avoiding this BS in the future

Can anyone tell me where I have to go to disguise my email addy in this
newsgroup from the spam bots in the future in case this is where they got
it? I use OE & IE
Thanks - Gale :~)

Old 20-09-2003, 05:02 PM
KenCo

Gale Pearce wrote:

Can anyone tell me where I have to go to disguise my email addy in this
newsgroup from the spam bots in the future in case this is where they got
it? I use OE & IE
Thanks - Gale :~)

its not bots, its that your in someones address
book that gets infected. almost all viruses target
IE and OE programs, I use Netscape for this reason!

making an entry in your address book like .000 will
make it the 1st entry and the viruses usually stop there.

like this
name .000
email

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced
Old 20-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Gale Pearce

I found it finally (2 hrs later) will try it here - any opinions on whether
this is enough?
God, I wish they would get serious with the "got no life" idiots who create
this @#$^% - If they don't do something to send them a message the internet
will soon become useless

Gale :~)
remove "one" to reply

Old 20-09-2003, 05:42 PM
John Hines

"Gale Pearce" wrote:

Can anyone tell me where I have to go to disguise my email addy in this
newsgroup from the spam bots in the future in case this is where they got
it? I use OE & IE

Alas, the Microsoft products are the problem. I use Eudora and Agent
and Mozilla, so no problems other than my trash filling up.
Old 20-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Dave Fouchey

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 11:09:25 -0500, John Hines
wrote:

"Gale Pearce" wrote:

Can anyone tell me where I have to go to disguise my email addy in this
newsgroup from the spam bots in the future in case this is where they got
it? I use OE & IE

Alas, the Microsoft products are the problem. I use Eudora and Agent
and Mozilla, so no problems other than my trash filling up.

Ditto though I use Opera instead of Mozilla.

Dave

Old 20-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Gale Pearce

Thanks Ken - A 'puter whiz as well as a ponder whiz too, eh :~00000000000
Thanks again
Gale :~)
remove "one" to reply

Old 20-09-2003, 07:32 PM
Matt Helliwell

Gale Pearce wrote:

I found it finally (2 hrs later) will try it here - any opinions on whether
this is enough?
God, I wish they would get serious with the "got no life" idiots who create
this @#$^% - If they don't do something to send them a message the internet
will soon become useless

Who is this "they" to whom you refer? :-)

Gale :~)
remove "one" to reply

Well you server will still get hit, though you won't see them. And the
mail server will then reply with an unknown user message, clogging up
things even more.

Either spoof the host name or, if something needs a valid host name
before it'll accept your posting, use or something similar.

--
Matt Helliwell
www.helliwell.me.uk

Old 20-09-2003, 07:42 PM
Tom La Bron

John,

MS products are not the problems, it is the Jerkwad-low-lifes who find it
easier to destroy that to create. Eudora, Agent and Mozilla, and, to some
extent Netscape, are used by so few that it isn't worth their "precious"
time to try and bother these platforms.

I think after these last couple of stints viruses that a lot of people are
ready to enact the death penalty for this kind of tampering. Well, the
death penalty might be a little extreme, but that should be put in a 6X6
cell with nothing but a mattress and a very high window in the cell as the
only outside stimulus for at least 15 years, and screw rehabilitation, no
matter what their age.

I have been pretty diligent about viruses and emails and such to the point I
have never had a need for antivirus software, but was hit this last Thursday
by a message that looked exactly like the messages that I usually get from
Microsoft about updates and warnings. For over 6 years I have never
succumbed to a virus until last Thursday. Hopefully, it is cleaned up. My
biggest problem was finding antivirus software that will work with
Windows95.

Golly what a mess. Sorry to all, if my problem was part of the whole
problem.

Tom L.L.

Old 20-09-2003, 08:32 PM
nemo

Hi Gale,

I'm new to this group as I only dug my pond about 5 weeks ago, I'll
post some pictures when I get the time. My pond is about 10'x12' and
about 3' deep, it's fed by a waterfall and 35' stream. I've added some
plants and 7 golden rudd (from my brothers pond) and then 6 green
tench about a week later. Since I added the green tench I've only been
able to see 6 of the golden rudd! It only took a heron 4 weeks to find
the pond. It's basically a wild life pond and we've also been visited
by a fox and got the normal insect and bird life.

I've had the normal problems with green water, but it's not been that
bad and it cleared fairly quickly to crystal clear. Then I had to do
some more work which stirred the muck up that turned the water green,
but it's slowly clearing .

That the introduction over with regard to your original post you might
want to read the following links:

Munging and spam resources:
http://webreference.com/outlook/column30/page2.html
http://www.forumscentral.com/email/spam.htm

Regards

nemo

Old 20-09-2003, 09:42 PM
KenCo

Tom La Bron wrote:

Golly what a mess. Sorry to all, if my problem was part of the whole
problem.

Tom L.L.

its nobodys fault as the msg. did look real!
what everyone should do is write their reps.
and get legislation enacted w/ stiff mandatory
sentences for virus writers.

as it stands the laws only are used to cover
banks and financial types if there hit but
im sure they got hit this round!

Old 21-09-2003, 12:39 AM
dkat

Nonsense. You can't legislate against this. What ever happened to personal
responsibility. It is not at all difficult to know enough to keep yourself
from becoming infected. DKat

Old 21-09-2003, 12:47 AM
Gale Pearce

Actually a very good point - when I say "they" I am refering to law
enforcement (thinking in a North American context, which we know is
useless), I see you are in the U.K. - but there has got to be a way to
bring these as******* under control or shut them down - the problem is how
much do the other 99.9 % of us have to suffer and pay to do it?

Gale :~)
remove "one" to reply

Old 21-09-2003, 05:22 AM
KenCo

dkat wrote:

Nonsense. You can't legislate against this.

its already been done but its aimed at
banks/ecomm. etc that get hit, then the sentances
are stiff. it needs to be 0 tolerance for anyone hit.

What ever happened to personal
responsibility. It is not at all difficult to know enough to keep yourself
from becoming infected. DKat

bullcrap, the virus last month hit 150,000+
computers the 1st hr., no antivirus software
worked because of how it was written. they
updated AV files in 4-5 hrs. but by then
2,000,000+ were infected. even computers w/
firewalls and antivirus running at the same
time got hit.

this is the virus info source, blaster info
http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?date=2003-08-14

its also rumored that the major power outage
is a result of the same virus, I think the power
companies know a tad more than any of us.
they will never publicly admit what caused it ......

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-05565

Old 21-09-2003, 05:02 PM
John Hines

"Tom La Bron" wrote:

MS products are not the problems, it is the Jerkwad-low-lifes who find it
easier to destroy that to create. Eudora, Agent and Mozilla, and, to some
extent Netscape, are used by so few that it isn't worth their "precious"
time to try and bother these platforms.

I prefer to use independent programs, rather than an all-in-one program,
this certainly minimizes the risk overall.

I think after these last couple of stints viruses that a lot of people are
ready to enact the death penalty for this kind of tampering. Well, the
death penalty might be a little extreme, but that should be put in a 6X6
cell with nothing but a mattress and a very high window in the cell as the
only outside stimulus for at least 15 years, and screw rehabilitation, no
matter what their age.

Again, why not hold MS to blame? They are the ones claiming to be
trustworthy. With any other product, they would be liable.