Old 29-09-2003, 12:42 AM
Heather

Default Zone 5 - Apple snail eggs

Looks like my apple snails have mated. I have eggs on an Arrowhead.

Should I bring the Arrow head in for the winter so I get the babies?

If I do what do you feed baby apple snails?

Thanks,
Heather

Old 29-09-2003, 04:31 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

The eggs take about a month to hatch. You clip the stem and put it in a jar
with water blow (open top). Better, put them in a 10 gal aquarium with some
fish in it. When the eggs hatch, the babies will move down into the water.
They will eat anything. Fish food does well. At first, they are tiny. A
little food goes a looooong way. Then they start to grow! You may have
several HUNDRED in the egg case. Be careful about spoiled water as they
grow a bit. Next year, you will have a huge number of smails...when these
mate. We have 7-15 egg cases per week once they get going. We toss fifteen
or so into the pond at the start of each season.

Good lick.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley

Old 29-09-2003, 04:31 AM
Gale Pearce

Go to www.applesnails.net for info - if your pond goes below 65F, you need
to bring your snails in for the winter - as well, my 2 must be both
females - the eggs I got in my pond all summer never hatched - unfertilized
Gale :~)

Old 29-09-2003, 06:22 AM
Heather

Thanks for the help.

1. I will try to catch them and bring them in. Don't always see them.
Water is 60 now.

2. I will cut off the plant stem as suggested. Might just bring in the
plant as it is small. We have had a few nights below 50 so maybe they won't
hatch.

Thanks Heather

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in
message news

Old 29-09-2003, 08:12 AM
jammer

I was planning to bring in many baby snails this winter as i had lots
of them hatch this spring. BUT, they disappeared with the toadpoles.
Many my large goldfish ate them..... I wish i had some to put in an
aquarium. (Not apples, just little black ones)

Have fun!

Old 29-09-2003, 08:12 AM
jammer

That was, MAYBE my large goldfish ate them...

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 02:02:08 -0500, jammer wrote:

I was planning to bring in many baby snails this winter as i had lots
of them hatch this spring. BUT, they disappeared with the toadpoles.
Many my large goldfish ate them..... I wish i had some to put in an
aquarium. (Not apples, just little black ones)

Have fun!

Apple Snail laying eggs Scott M. Ponds 13 29-07-2004 04:00 AM
Apple snail eggs----. question???// WilsonKKW Ponds 1 23-07-2004 10:02 AM
Apple Snail laying eggs Scott M. Ponds 0 22-07-2004 12:57 PM
Apple snail eggs----. question???// WilsonKKW Ponds 3 22-07-2004 02:10 AM
removing snail eggs linda mar Freshwater Aquaria Plants 12 26-02-2003 04:26 PM