Old 02-10-2003, 03:33 AM
RichToyBox

Default Hurricane Isabelle

Though I did not have any physical damage by the hurricane, and was without
power (except generator) for a week, the high winds took the tall plants,
thalia, taro, and cannas and threw them into the pond along with lots of
leaves and pine needles. It was about Monday after the hurricane that I
pulled the plants back up onto the shelves, except the taro that went to the
compost heap. I told Donna that as soon as we got power, I was going to
have to get in the pond and vacuum the leaves and other debris. Thursday
when the power came back on, I looked at the large pond to see about
vacuuming it out, and it was clean except for about 5 little leaves on the
sides and a few dead or well worn lily pads. Thank goodness for bottom
drains. Between the pumps drawing water the length of the pond, and the koi
swimming stirring up the debris on the bottom, all of the leaves on the
bottom had been swept to the bottom drain. I still need to vacuum the
smaller pond, but it doesn't have any leaves in it, just some fine debris
that is clogging the skimmer pad.
--
RichToyBox

Old 03-10-2003, 04:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
[...]

I have never been so thankful for too many family events as I am the past
few weeks. I know I need to get in there, but I am dreading it. I have
cleaned up my VF, but the main pond needs some maintenance, that and I need
to find my leak. I am losing an inch or so every day or so. Damn stream.
Isabelle knocked over everything here as well. Sucks.

BV.

Old 05-10-2003, 08:22 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 01:24:25 GMT, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

Though I did not have any physical damage by the hurricane, snip
when the power came back on, I looked at the large pond to see about
vacuuming it out, and it was clean except for about 5 little leaves on the
sides and a few dead or well worn lily pads. Thank goodness for bottom
drains. snip

I couldn't agree more. When I got hit by a raccoon in '01 it pretty much
knocked every plant to the bottom, which made the pots drop sand and
accumulated muck. Come morning when I discovered this, the water was
already crystal clear, the muck sucked off to the pre-filter. Other than
using the vac for getting the heavier stuff, like the river rock, there
wasn't much else to worry about.... except installing a motion sprinkler so
Mr.Rac never came back, of course. ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website