GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   tales of the untrue (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/44696-tales-untrue.html)

Carl Beyer 04-10-2003 04:15 AM

tales of the untrue

I have a small 400 gallon pond in the front of my house, in back I have
a overflowing pot fountain.

A couple of months ago I moved a water lettuce plant and some of my way
too many mosquito fish into the small fountain to see what would happen.

The other day I pulled the lettuce out cause it was making a mess, and
there was a fish. At first glance Ithought it was a mosquito fish that
I put in, and that it looked blotchy and diseased. I put the lettuce
back in and figured nature would take its course.

Well, I came back out today, and looked in the pot, and there was that
fish. So I figured i would net it and dispose of it properly.

How wrong was I. It appears to be a baby shubunkin (1.5") It appears
in good health, but is in quarantine for a while anyway.

I must say that I am completely blow away. I guess some eggs were on
the plants. i have no babies in the front, but with my overstocking,
and billions of mosquito fish, I don't expect any...

Anyway, quite the surprise. Amazing how strong nature can be.

Carl

pond photos can be seen at

www.cobaltbluefilms.com/koi.html

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com