GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   tales of the untrue (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/44698-tales-untrue.html)

Carl Beyer 04-10-2003 04:22 AM

tales of the untrue

I have a small 400 gallon pond in the front of my house, in back I have
a overflowing pot fountain.

A couple of months ago I moved a water lettuce plant and some of my way
too many mosquito fish into the small fountain to see what would happen.

The other day I pulled the lettuce out cause it was making a mess, and
there was a fish. At first glance Ithought it was a mosquito fish that
I put in, and that it looked blotchy and diseased. I put the lettuce
back in and figured nature would take its course.

Well, I came back out today, and looked in the pot, and there was that
fish. So I figured i would net it and dispose of it properly.

How wrong was I. It appears to be a baby shubunkin (1.5") It appears
in good health, but is in quarantine for a while anyway.

I must say that I am completely blow away. I guess some eggs were on
the plants. i have no babies in the front, but with my overstocking,
and billions of mosquito fish, I don't expect any...

Anyway, quite the surprise. Amazing how strong nature can be.

Carl

pond photos can be seen at

www.cobaltbluefilms.com/koi.html

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com

Karen Mullen 10-10-2003 06:12 AM

tales of the untrue

In article , Carl Beyer
writes:

Anyway, quite the surprise. Amazing how strong nature can be.

I can truly identify with you on this one. Apparently eggs on plant roots or
drawn thru the pump put a fish in my biofilter, which covered with plants, I
never say. Anyway, when my dad passed away last fall I did not clean the
filter out when I shut the pump off and just left everything as it was until
this spring. This is 110 gallon stock tank above ground. This spring when I
drained the filter guess what I found! A very large healthy fish still alive
living in incredible filth as you can imagine (decayed plants, all last years
much on the bottom and evaporated water levels, not to mention one incredbly
cold winter).

I took me quite awhile to catch that bugger, but he's now one happy fish once
he discovered the "real" pond.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH