GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Water Cannan (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/45229-water-cannan.html)

Judy 11-10-2003 03:42 AM

Water Cannan

Don't know much about water cannans but this year I purchased one,
nice plant. Wondering tho how deep you can keep them during winter? I
live in Fremont, California, winters are not bad, a little frost in
January and thats about it. Its considered Northern Calif which is not
as warm normally than Southern Calif. Thanks Judy

~ jan JJsPond.us 13-10-2003 12:12 AM

Water Cannan

On 10 Oct 2003 19:39:04 -0700, (Judy) wrote:

Don't know much about water cannans but this year I purchased one,
nice plant. Wondering tho how deep you can keep them during winter? I
live in Fremont, California, winters are not bad, a little frost in
January and thats about it. Its considered Northern Calif which is not
as warm normally than Southern Calif. Thanks Judy

If it is a hardy canna, you don't have to worry about it, if a Tropical
canna in your area you might get away with digging into the ground. The
recommended way is to let frost knock it back, dig up the tuber and store
it dry in peat moss in a paper bag.

Last year I just left mine in the sand in the garage (because I never got
to the part for knocking the dirt off, etc. They did fine. ~ jan
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Judy 13-10-2003 04:02 PM

Water Cannan

Thanks jan, I thought I could get away with just leaving it in the
pond. Have a great day. Judy

Pinkpggy 15-10-2003 04:42 PM

Water Cannan

I live in Idaho, where we have snow and cold winters. I cut mine off last
winter and put it in the bottom of the pond with the other plants. It came
back this year, and bloomed where last year it only had leaves. So thats what
I did this year too. Who knows what will happen with it this time.