GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Comet-Mouth Problem (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/45251-comet-mouth-problem.html)

Szpond 11-10-2003 06:02 PM

Comet-Mouth Problem

I have a small comet that has been on the surface of the water for a few days
now. He cannot close his mouth. I looked at Koi Vet, but could not find
anything to tell me about this. I feel so bad for him. Anything I can do?
What is it caused by? Thanks so much, Cathy

Gail Futoran 11-10-2003 11:42 PM

Comet-Mouth Problem

"Szpond" wrote in message
I have a small comet that has been on the surface of the

water for a few days
now. He cannot close his mouth. I looked at Koi Vet, but

could not find
anything to tell me about this. I feel so bad for him.

Anything I can do?
What is it caused by? Thanks so much, Cathy

Don't know, but I had a lovely 4" Shubunkin with the same
problem, no other symptoms to be seen, and eventually he
died. Other goldfish in the same (outdoor) tank didn't have
the problem, so I'm guessing it wasn't a water quality
problem.

You might try posting the same question to
rec.aquaria.freshwater.goldfish

If you find the answer, please be sure to post it. I'd like
to know what (if anything) to do in case it happens again to
one of my fish.

Gail

dhponder 12-10-2003 01:12 AM

Comet-Mouth Problem

Szpond wrote:

I have a small comet that has been on the surface of the water for a few days
now. He cannot close his mouth. I looked at Koi Vet, but could not find
anything to tell me about this. I feel so bad for him. Anything I can do?
What is it caused by? Thanks so much, Cathy

I would look here and go to the main page to find similar symptoms. Is
he outside? I would follow the advice at the site and bring him inside,
if possible.

http://users.megapathdsl.net/~solo/p...m%20the%20pond

~ jan JJsPond.us 12-10-2003 02:02 AM

Comet-Mouth Problem

"Szpond" wrote in message
I have a small comet that has been on the surface of the
water for a few days now. He cannot close his mouth.

You need to get him out of the pond so you can look into his mouth. He may
have something stuck in there or he might have popped the joint on his jaw.
If I remember right, you gently pull forward on the bottom jaw and it
should pop it back into place. ~ jan
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

[email protected] 12-10-2003 11:02 PM

Comet-Mouth Problem

as Jan pointed out, could be something stuck, or it could be mouth rot. in any case
gotta net him and take a look. Ingrid

(Szpond) wrote:

I have a small comet that has been on the surface of the water for a few days
now. He cannot close his mouth. I looked at Koi Vet, but could not find
anything to tell me about this. I feel so bad for him. Anything I can do?
What is it caused by? Thanks so much, Cathy

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Szpond 14-10-2003 11:02 PM

Comet-Mouth Problem

could be something stuck, or it could be mouth rot.

Too late, found him dead this morning. I did net him before and could not find
anything stuck in his mouth. Was before I heard about "popping" his jaw back
in. Now I will know for the next time. Thanks for your help. Also "mouth
rot": what is this, should I be concerned for the other fish? Cathy

RichToyBox 15-10-2003 01:12 AM

Comet-Mouth Problem

Mouth rot is the same as fin rot, both are columnaris bacterial colonies.
They look like patches of fungus, but are bacterial, instead of fungal.
they tend to be located at areas that get damaged easily. My treatment of
choice, since it is a surface bacteria, is to swab with a paste of PP, or an
iodine swab. Be sure to keep these out of the gills during treatment.
--
RichToyBox