GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wintering Lotus (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/45473-wintering-lotus.html)

Joan 15-10-2003 04:42 AM

Wintering Lotus

I have enjoyed a beautiful Lotus all Summer and want to know what I need to
do with it for Winter. I live in Zone 5. This Lotus came to me in about a
5 gal. tub. I put it, in it's original tub, into a 30 gal. tub near my
pond. The 5 gal. tub is surrounded by river rock and water in the 30 gal.
tub. How far should I cut the Lotus back and what do I do to protect it
during Winter?

THANKS-----
Joan

Gale Pearce 15-10-2003 02:02 PM

Wintering Lotus

My Lotus is set up pretty well the same as yours , only mine sits in a tub
on my deck - for the winter I put mine into the pond after I cut all the
foliage and stems back to just above dirt level - the water is only 17" deep
where I put it and it always comes back in the spring - I usually get 6" -7"
of ice in the coldest winters here in SW Ont - The important thing is that
the plant doesn't freeze, so it has to be in deep enough water to prevent
that
Gale :~)