GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Winterizing Iris (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/45513-winterizing-iris.html)

Jeff & Kathy Brown 15-10-2003 11:02 PM

Winterizing Iris

What do I need to do with my blue & yellow flag iris's for the winter?
Thanks
Kathy

Sam Hopkins 16-10-2003 10:02 PM

Winterizing Iris

I live in zone 5 and I dont have to do anything. It sits in the mud and
comes back to life in the spring.

ponder 28-10-2003 04:12 PM

Winterizing Iris

do nothing is correct if you have fish in the pond for the winter take off
any dead stuff, DO NOT CUT THEM BACK, then they will die, no need to drop
them down just leave them where they are, of course these are hardy iris?!

Jeff Spicoli 03-11-2003 06:02 PM

Winterizing Iris

"ponder" wrote in
:

pixi wrote in message
I also live in zone 5 and do nothing. The iris come through just
fine.

Pixi

"Jeff & Kathy Brown" wrote in message
What do I need to do with my blue & yellow flag iris's for the
winter? Thanks
Kathy

Ouch! I cut mine back because I didn't know better. So, they will not come
back?

--
Looking for a baby gift ?
B. Swanky - Boutique Giftware with Flair!

Gale Pearce 03-11-2003 08:22 PM

Winterizing Iris

My wife cuts ours back every year - they always sprout new growth in the
spring
Gale :~)
"Jeff Spicoli" wrote in message
46...
"ponder" wrote in
:

claude rogers 03-11-2003 11:22 PM

Winterizing Iris

I have cut mine back to within 2 inches of the gravel and sunk them to the
bottom for 2 years now, and get new growth every year..

~ jan JJsPond.us 06-11-2003 07:02 AM

Winterizing Iris

I too have cut mine back, but I do cut them above the water line. I think
iris are pretty tough, unless you spent a fortune on them, then they die.
;o) ~ jan

On 03 Nov 2003 17:43:17 GMT, Jeff Spicoli wrote:

Ouch! I cut mine back because I didn't know better. So, they will not come
back?

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a