Old 17-10-2003, 03:42 AM
Szpond

Default Help for Heron

Usually we are complaining about the Herons and their helping themselves to our
fish. But the one that has been visiting us the last couple of days is really
in bad shape. His entire bottom beak is broken off and just hanging by a
thread. Any ideas of what to do or who to call to help this fellow. He is
really getting lethargic and I know he is starving. Any ideas needed.
Old 17-10-2003, 05:12 AM
K30a

Look up state agencies in your phone book
and call the fish and wildlife agency.
They might be able to help.

k30a

Old 17-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Susan H. Simko

K30a wrote:
Look up state agencies in your phone book
and call the fish and wildlife agency.
They might be able to help.

Here in NC, when I had some baby bluebirds whose parent was killed, I
called the local natural history museum. They put me in touch with some
certified wildlife rehab people who fostered the babies.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Old 17-10-2003, 06:22 PM
K30a

PS ~ Do not approach the heron, even
injured the bill is razor sharp and
very strong. Folks have ended up in the
ER needed stitches and one poor fellow
was killed.

k30a

Old 18-10-2003, 12:32 AM
Szpond

Is there a Project Wildlife in your area?

I tried all your suggestions. I called a local vet - said call Animal Rescue.
Called Animal Rescue - number disconnected. Called State of Michigan -
connected to voice mail - left message 7 hours ago, no one called back. Called
Natural Resources "800" number for injured animals - given 8 choices to choose
from - not one of those choices was for injured animals. What a crock!!!!
Haven't seen him return yet today. Yesterday he even tried to get UNDER our
netting to get at the fishes. This poor guy is very desperately hungry.
Old 18-10-2003, 12:42 AM
Steve Wolfe

I tried all your suggestions. I called a local vet - said call Animal
Rescue.
Called Animal Rescue - number disconnected. Called State of Michigan -
connected to voice mail - left message 7 hours ago, no one called back.

Called
Natural Resources "800" number for injured animals - given 8 choices to

choose
from - not one of those choices was for injured animals. What a

crock!!!!
Haven't seen him return yet today. Yesterday he even tried to get UNDER

our
netting to get at the fishes. This poor guy is very desperately hungry.

You could call the local Ducks Unlimitted, and see if they know who to
call. They're usually pretty knowledgeable about the governmental
agencies responsible for waterfowl.

steve

Old 18-10-2003, 01:12 AM
Anne Lurie

I googled for "wildlife rehabilitator" + Michigan and turned up the
following page (go to the Michigan section):
http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/rehab_usa.html#mi

Are there any local chapters of National Audubon Society near you?

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 18-10-2003, 01:12 AM
joe

Try a google search on "Michigan wild animal rescue". I got a pretty long
list. One link in particular you might try is:

http://www.wildlifecare.org/listmichigan.html

Don't give up!

Joe

Old 18-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Theo van Daele

Carl, it's good advice. Otherwise he will just starve to death :-(

I hate killing animals, and perhaps you might want to check with your local
wildlife agency to see if they can help him out (or if he can survive with
half a beak), if not, have him put to the ethernal koi ponds in the sky.

Theo

I hate to say this, but there is little hope for this bird based on your
description. The best thing that can happen to it is to have it
euthanized (spelling - tired - sorry). Not sure if it is legal to kill
heron in your area, but if you can, and you own a gun...

sorry.. feel bad giving this kind of advice... but I was raised on a
ranch... lots of wild and domesticated fowl..

Carl

Old 19-10-2003, 02:43 AM
keith nuttle

While I agree that sometime there is no other way when wildlife are
injured. If the bird can be caught I believe I read that the beak can
be "crazy" glued to an almost new conditions.

Old 19-10-2003, 03:02 AM
Axolotl

It has been done in the past. I have even seen a fibreglass prosthesis made.

Try contacting the local university, preferably one with a veterinary dept.
they might be able to help!