Old 24-10-2003, 06:42 AM
Theo van Daele

Default "Bomb the pond" in pictures

Hey folks,

I ment to post this link before but then forgot.

On this page you get a report with lots of pictures as how it can look like
when doing a PP treatment.

It may be of some help for people wanting or needing to do this treatment
for the first time. I know I always shied away, but this summer I had to
bite the bullet because of Trichodina on a few fish, so I decided to
document the treatment.

Disclaimer: this info is what it looked like in *my* pond, your mileage may
vary, so please don't just copy what I did as this stuff is quite powerful.
The article does point on several occasions to Roark's ultimate FAQ, which
was my guide all along.

Normally I'd say "don't start a ruck" over PP, but as the newsgroup is a bit
like our fish at the moment (calmly hovering at the bottom with these colder
temps ) it may or may not be a good time to sparkle off a healthy debate.

Enjoy

I'm proud to say smirk that an adapted version will be published in a
Dutch koi magazine this Christmas. Fame !

http://www.wide-o.net/pptreatment/

Theo

Old 24-10-2003, 11:22 AM
rtk

Your photographs are extraordinarily clear and detailed. Are you using
a digital camera? Is it a big (unoptimized) file? Very impressive!

Ruth Kazez

Old 24-10-2003, 03:22 PM

very glad you diluted the PP out, but it is better to make stock solutions once and
then the chance of overdose is very, very limited.
so. do the fish look better? after losing two fish last year to infected eggs, my
pond AND my veggie filter are now netted to keep birds out. No problems since last
August. the birds were using the veggie filter to bathe in and crap of course.
Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 24-10-2003, 05:12 PM
Theo van Daele

Hey Ruth,

It is a digital camera indeed, for detail, it's a Minolta DImage 7i. (5
megapixel thingiemadoodie

They are taken at medium resolution and with (lossy) JPEG compression, then
sized down to 800x600 for easier web viewing.

The raw files at maximum resolution are 15 Mb a piece, so not very useful
for internet purposes. I'm extremely pleased with it and it's results.

Thanks for the kind comments,

Theo

"rtk" schreef in bericht
. net...

Old 24-10-2003, 05:22 PM
Theo van Daele

True Ingrid, but it was the first time, so I had to start from scratch

The fish did fine, and the kohaku that was most infected is almost cured now
(some tiny spots left, but he'll have to build up his slimecoat/immune
system again)

The treatment was done 2 months ago now, so it's not like you get "instant"
results, but his skin welt almost black in some places just after the
treatment, so that means there were indeed quite a few nasties on him that
got zapped.

The koi vet seemed to think it was birds (or bird droppings) as well BTW as
the water quality was very good, and most of the other fish only had traces
or no parasites at all.

As you know better than I do probably, PP is just a tool, and in this case
it surely has helped.

Thanks,

Theo

Old 24-10-2003, 06:12 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Over here, or maybe just because I live in a pro nuclear power area, we
call it "Nuking the Pond". (PP is used in the process that decontaminates
nuclear plants, btw.) ) ~ jan
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 24-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Theo van Daele

Jan, I'm "old Europe" ;-) so I'm still using the bomb thing. I need to
catch up !

PP is used in the process that decontaminates
nuclear plants, btw.) )

Really ? I honestly didn't know. Any more info on this ?

It seems to have many uses. The lady pharmacist told me tongue in cheek
that she learned about it in school because it used to be a medicine for...
erm... female... erm ... infection erm...etc etc :blush:

;-)

Theo

Old 24-10-2003, 06:32 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Oops, I should have read the whole article first, wherein you mention the
scientific term Nuke. ;o)

Question for you, my understanding was that H2O2 would counteract the
treatment so why did you feel the need to have enough dechlor on hand just
in case?

It was also my understanding not to treat with either, but leave the water
brown between treatments.... or is that because many people use to much
product, and detox their additional PP treatments if they don't wait long
enough?

Great article, btw! ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 25-10-2003, 01:02 AM
Nedra

Theo,

Fascinating - absolutely fascinating! Your article and
pictures are wonderful.

Congratulations on the article getting published!

Nedra

Old 25-10-2003, 08:12 PM
RichToyBox

I bought the ORP meter to help me determine the level of activity, because I
have problems telling brown or tea, from pink/purple in the treatments. I
found with my treatments, that the brown color that I would ordinarily have
neutralized the PP the ORP value said it was still very much active. Even
an hour after it had turned brown, by my eyes, it was still marginally in
the active range. The use of Hydrogen Peroxide to clear the water, also
neutralizes the PP and per Doc Johnson, the H2O2 remains active for up to 3
days, whereas sodium thio is used up in 24 hours.
--
RichToyBox

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
It was also my understanding not to treat with either, but leave the

water
brown between treatments.... or is that because many people use to much
product, and detox their additional PP treatments if they don't wait long
enough?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 25-10-2003, 09:02 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Then it is probably wise to tell folks, who don't have a meter, to detox
between treatments so they don't over treat. Thanks for the additional info
between ST & H2O2. ) ~ jan

Old 26-10-2003, 02:32 PM
RichToyBox

Without PP the peroxide will apparently have some residual, and the
treatment using peroxide is to some excess to completely expend the PP and
allow the water to clear. The excess that is still in the water will
neutralize some of the next PP dose which turns it brown prematurely.
--
RichToyBox

"RichToyBox" wrote:

I bought the ORP meter to help me determine the level of activity,

because I
have problems telling brown or tea, from pink/purple in the treatments.

found with my treatments, that the brown color that I would ordinarily

have
neutralized the PP the ORP value said it was still very much active.

Even
an hour after it had turned brown, by my eyes, it was still marginally in
the active range. The use of Hydrogen Peroxide to clear the water, also
neutralizes the PP and per Doc Johnson, the H2O2 remains active for up to

3
days, whereas sodium thio is used up in 24 hours.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

I-Bomb Scott Richardson Texas 10 26-06-2015 04:14 AM
What happened to the homemade CO2 bomb? Dan White Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 12-02-2005 02:37 AM
Found an old nazi bomb in my garden ! Pablo Rena United Kingdom 13 01-06-2004 11:19 AM
[IBC] Daughter's visit with her family [Was: [IBC] Atom Bomb and Masaru Yamakis Bonsai] Chris Cochrane Bonsai 0 06-06-2003 09:20 PM
[IBC] Atom Bomb and Masaru Yamakis Bonsai Ben Griffin Bonsai 0 06-06-2003 08:44 PM