Old 26-10-2003, 10:42 PM
Ron Lawrence

Default Getting ready for winter in NC

I spent a couple of hours this afternoon
pulling the brown Hyacinths out of the pond.
It's interesting that the water lettuce is still nice
and green. I moved most of the remaining lettuce
into the veggie filter for now, I know it'll die as soon
as we have a hard freeze.
Next I've got to trim all the tall flowering plants
back below water level. I wonder how long the
Black Taro will live...

I wonder if there are any other members of this
group in the Charlotte NC area?

Happy ponding...

Ron

C.R."Ron"Lawrence
Antique Radio Collector & Historian

POBox 3015
Matthews, NC 28106-3015
704-289-1166 (home)

Personal Web Page,
http://www.ronlawrence.homestead.com
Radio Collection Web Page,
http://www.radioheaven.homestead.com
CC-AWA Web Page,
http://www.cc-awa.org

Old 27-10-2003, 02:42 AM
Gareee©

I wonder if there are any other members of this
group in the Charlotte NC area?

Well I'm in Waynesville now (from hendersonville) and I suspect it'll get a
little colder faster here...

--
Gareee©
Homepage:

Old 27-10-2003, 10:02 PM
BenignVanilla

"Ron Lawrence" wrote in message
. ..
I spent a couple of hours this afternoon
pulling the brown Hyacinths out of the pond.
It's interesting that the water lettuce is still nice
and green. I moved most of the remaining lettuce
into the veggie filter for now, I know it'll die as soon
as we have a hard freeze.
Next I've got to trim all the tall flowering plants
back below water level. I wonder how long the
Black Taro will live...

snip

I am in a similar boat. I have been slowly removing lettuce and frogbit from
the pond. The water is nice and clear, so I am hesitating removing the WH
just yet. I just shut down my pump this week, so I am thinking I will move
some WH to the main pond, and keep them there until they are dead. I plan to
do my final autumn'ization this weekend.

BV.

Old 28-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Bob H

Hey BV, it is my (also newbie) understanding that if you leave frogbit in
the pond it will sink to the bottom, overwinter and re emerge in spring....I
may be wrong but I am trying it this year unless anyone with more experience
tells us otherwise.

Old 29-10-2003, 01:02 AM
Anne Lurie

Ron,

I'm in Raleigh, NC -- and that's probably as "comparable" as we'll be,
unless (until?) I ever expand my pond experience beyond the teeny water
garden with a few goldfish. (Water Hyacinths never lasted long enough to
turn brown in the fall, thanks to my dogs -- the last ones made it 36
hours or so.)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 29-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Janet & Hugh

Anne be careful with those water hyacinths and the dogs! Mine got pretty ill
this summer after stealing one from the pond and eating a portion of it!!
$200 in vet bills later we learned a valuable lesson... they are poisonous
and make for one sick dog. (
Janet
Niagara Falls, ON

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

---

Old 29-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Steve and Lisa

eeeeeeek......I didn't realise they were harmful to pets....our Golden who
has a heart of gold, but isn't the brightest bulb likes to chew
vegetation.....will make sure he doesn't go near those....thanks for the
heads up!

Lisa

Old 29-10-2003, 10:12 PM
RichToyBox

I have seen a number of the plants that we have in our water gardens listed
as toxic, but the water hyacinth is not one of them, to my knowledge. The
terrestrial hyacinth Hyacinth (Hyacinth orientalis) bulb is toxic and
should be kept away from dogs, horses and livestock.
--
RichToyBox

Old 30-10-2003, 02:02 AM
Anne Lurie

Janet,

A quick google for "water hyacinth + toxicity" was not all that enlightening
for me personally, as most of the toxicity mentioned referred (I think) to
toxins absorbed by water hyacinth.

I'm curious, though, even ordinary things (like chocolate!) can be toxic to
dogs if the quantity is great enough. Is your dog a big "eat-anything"
retriever (like my 85# Chessie/Lab) or a small muncher?

I'll try to remember to ask my D-I-L, the vet, about toxic plants.

In the meantime, I'll stick with parrotfeather instead of water hyacinth --
it's potted, so too heavy to take out of the pond, plus the frog just loves
it, and I don't need to feel guilty about pond level being too low for frog
to get out, since the parrotfeather "launching pad" is always available.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 30-10-2003, 03:02 AM
ponder

Not to familiar with your weather, but do you always cut back your flowering
plants below the water? Alot of them will die if cut back under water.
Anything with a hollow cell frame will drowned. it is usually best to just
clean off the dead stuff and leave them where they are, of course lilies and
lotus are different.

Old 30-10-2003, 03:02 AM
ponder

yes they are poisonious! never let any animals eat any plants, it is
surprising wht is deadly.
Nice to see a Canadian here.
London Ont

Old 30-10-2003, 03:32 AM
Janet & Hugh

My dog is a "small muncher" as you put it! LOL! He ate just 1 of the round
portions of the water hyacinth, no leaves. We thought it was cute to see his
chase them around the pond and occaisionally catch one. His belly swelled to
about twice his normal size and became rock hard. He then ran a fever and
barfed for hrs till he had nothing but heeves left all the while having
tremors. He wouldn't even drink. Then the next day the other end started. We
definitely learned the hard way as we had no idea how poisous they were. Try
searching "water hyacinth+poisonous" and hundreds of hits come up. Here is
just one.. http://plantsdatabase.com/go/661/

Janet
Niagara Falls, ON

. com...

Old 30-10-2003, 04:02 AM
Chad

ponder wrote:
yes they are poisonious! never let any animals eat any plants, it is
surprising wht is deadly.

I do always enjoy giving raw meat to my herbivore friends... In
addition, I dont think there will be anymore vegetables for me ... my
poor vegetarian friends are going to be stuck with tofu and water...
no--- wait tofu comes from a soybean and I think that is a plant ....
lol...(FYI... the above was a joke... I will stop now....)

Nice to see a Canadian here.

Ok, One more...What do you eat in Canada???? A good friend of mine
"from Canada" said beer is the favorite food from where he was from...
He was on a local radio station 2 weeks ago and said he was born with a
beer in one hand and a hockey stick in the other. His parents should be
so proud.

Ok, back on topic...

My old dog(12+ year old Cocker) have been eating water hyacinth for a
long time now. I am convinced that it is given her youth back... she is
acting like a pup... minus the peeing on your feet... She eats more WH
than dog food.... and not to go there but this dog has not had a day of
irregularity in her life. Ahh I went there... poooh

Moving on, my pup ate some copper sulfate from my sons "Grow your Own
Geode" kit a couple weeks ago... now that will kill... she ate just a
tiny bit and was vomiting withing 2 - 3 minutes... lethargic by 15....
talk about a vet bill.... poor girl weighed 4 lbs and they gave her a
sub-dermal IV... injected 2 lbs of water under her skin.... almost
changed her name to quasimoto. They put so much IV in that she sprung a
leak where they injected her. Shot a fluid stream out about 6inches for
about a minute. Funny though... after about 24 hours they water
dispersed under the skin and she was my sumo baby.... talk about a
jiggle when you walk....

Ok... back to the topic... again... I know that "Garden" Hyacinth... the
spring time in ground type are poisonious but I cannot find anything
that states water hyacinth(Eichhorinia crassipies) are... so far my dog
has had no problem with them... maybe she will after a few more years if
age doesn't get her first... just my 2 cents (3.5 cents canadian)

p.s. ponder... sorry for the humor above... it has been a long
day...and I really do like Canada... really enjoy the botanical gardens
in montreal... if you would like you can post back about how I live in
nebraska go right ahead.....

Old 30-10-2003, 04:42 AM
Chad

Ok, so the plant database says there are posionous... but not to all
animals... what is poisonous to humans isn't to others... my fish would
all be dead if they were poisonous to all animals... Of course... if you
saw my other postings you would know my fish ARE dead, since Chlorimines
are poisonous to fish and not to humans....

by the way...

WH have many uses with India being the leader in the following uses.

1.) To make Paper -- acutal varieties of high quality paper

2.) To make briquettes for stoves for cooking.

3.) To make food for cattle out of the leaves (the parts my dog
eats)... btw... cattle are sacred in India so I don't think they are
trying to harm them...

Here is a site with tons of info on WH....

http://www.ecosyn.us/ecocity/Links/M...yacinth01.html

Old 30-10-2003, 08:32 AM
Zookeeper

Chad wrote:
Moving on, my pup ate some copper sulfate from my sons "Grow your Own
Geode" kit a couple weeks ago... now that will kill... she ate just a
tiny bit and was vomiting withing 2 - 3 minutes... lethargic by 15....
talk about a vet bill.... poor girl weighed 4 lbs and they gave her a
sub-dermal IV... injected 2 lbs of water under her skin.... almost
changed her name to quasimoto. They put so much IV in that she sprung a
leak where they injected her. Shot a fluid stream out about 6inches for
about a minute. Funny though... after about 24 hours they water
dispersed under the skin and she was my sumo baby.... talk about a
jiggle when you walk....

Poor baby! We had to give one of our dogs the sub-cutaneous fluid last
year when she had a horrible infection and became dehydrated. It was
great though -- just had to do it once and the fluid stayed there for
2-3 days, gradually being used by her body. Pretty cool stuff. And I
just went through three weeks of sub-c fluids for our poor 11 yo cat;
unfortunately for her it was too little, too late. Developed Addison's
disorder (adrenal gland failure causing body to lose too much potassium)
but slid into a serious infection before we even noticed and even the
antibiotics, sub-c, hand-feeding, and meds couldn't pull her through.
But I'm an expert with that saline solution now, and won't be afraid to
use it for one of the other "zoo" members if necessary. Except maybe the
fish!!! (getting back on topic here, giggle)
--
Zk
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies