Old 26-10-2003, 11:02 PM
John Ferman

Default Winterizing

I am posting from Minneapolis, Minnesota where it looks like winter
will be grabbing ahold of us. So it was
'shut-down-the-pond-and-take-in-the-fish' day today. All went well, we
after an hour of trying managed to catch all our fish. The fun part
was there were two more fish than we started out with!! I would never
have believed fish would multiply in captivity, but there you are. Our
fish are goldfish that started out two seasons ago as 'feeder' fish.
One of the two year adults has lost much of its coloring (wonder if it
was focussing on some sort of bad, bad insect larvea). The two new
fish are small and must be juveniles but the iteresting part is the
coloration - seems like lots of black scattered about both critters.
Could this be some sort of genetic 'throwback,' sorta.

Jack Ferman
Old 28-10-2003, 04:22 PM
ponder

Golfish usually start out black and start to turn color, going gold to
orange after awhile, this can sometimes take up to a year, and that I dont
know why. But they are just changing color

Old 23-11-2003, 10:25 PM
Elizabeth Naime

Quoth John Ferman on Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:59:12 GMT,

The fun part
was there were two more fish than we started out with!!

Only two?!? Actually I envy you. The first season when we had a WHOLE
LOT of little goldfish that we didn't put out there, I was thrilled. Now
the koi have gotten into it (I thought they were too young, but
apparently they weren't) and the colors on the koilings are just
charming. But. The day when we are up to our necks in little fishies is
definitely in sight! This is too much of a good thing!

I want to know how you kept it down to two a year! :-)

Only know that there is no spork.