Old 30-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Ken Collis

Default Feathered Fish Snatchers

Hello

I'm new to this thread - and a fair novice at ponds also. But I now have a
smallish pond/waterfall etc in my backyard that I'm pretty happy with, and
up until recently also had six happy koi swimming around. Several rocky
hideaways etc. A couple of months ago we had a visit from a white faced
heron and then there were four koi. So we upset all the local backyard
birds and took away their bathing rights by placing a light net over the
pond, to foil future heron raids. We also provided a couple of extra rock
shelter caves in the pond, and placed the dog on bird duty. Lo and behold,
we're now down to two koi, with the two smaller guys apparently plucked from
the pond right through the net! The dog is in disgrace.

We're now very reluctant to purchase any replacement koi until we can find a
way to keep them. We would also like to take the net off the pond (for what
its worth) to allow the backyard birds in for a drink/bath during what looks
to be a long hot summer on the way.

Ken
Wollongong, Australia

Old 30-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Lee B.

Welcome to the Group! Someone will probably be by shortly and post a whole
bunch of "heron foilers", but in the meantime, a couple of things you could
consider:

a. Get a net with smaller holes. You mentioned that you wanted the little
birds to be able to bathe and drink, so perhaps you could leave an area
open - or develop a special area - just for them. Or . . .

b. About 1 foot back from the edge of the pond, place little stakes around
the edge and run a string of monfilament fishing line around the pond. Think
"trip wire", which is IS. The birds you mention are wading birds; they don't
swoop in and snatch the fish, they walk up to them. They'll trip over the
line because they can't see it, and their dignity will be assailed. They'll
leave. Caveat: be careful! A lot of people get tripped up, too!

c. Here in the Northern Hemisphere we have something called a Scare Crow
(no, not the things you see in fields!). These are water activated motion
detectors: the mechanical part is battery operated, and the water part is
run by a water hose. If something large enough enters its field, it turns on
and sends a blast of water at the offender. Again, the caveat: don't forget
to turn it off when you go out to the pond or you, too!, will get soaked.
However, the kids may like it . . . s

Most of the folks here have put their ponds "to bed" for the winter, whereas
yours are just waking up. But quite a few of us monitor the board year
'round, so let us know if we can offer suggestions!

Lee

Old 31-10-2003, 12:22 AM
Hal

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:54:32 +1100, "Ken Collis"
wrote:

We're now very reluctant to purchase any replacement koi until we can find a
way to keep them. We would also like to take the net off the pond (for what
its worth) to allow the backyard birds in for a drink/bath during what looks
to be a long hot summer on the way.

Birds deposit fish parasites in their waste and I try to keep all
birds away from my fish pond. I have a fountain on the other side of
the house for bird bathing and such.

Bird predators are more a problem when the site is bird friendly.
Larger birds like the heron want a clear landing space. I have so
much junk around the pond and in the way I haven't seen a heron in
several years although they cleaned me out the first year of ponding.
One fellow in GB stretched wires on a 6' grid over his pond area and
claimed that stopped his heron problem because the bird has such a
large wing span he couldn't light without his wings touching the
wires.

Regards,

Hal
Old 03-11-2003, 01:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I use the Scare Crow sprinkler on both my ponds, no losses. It has a
sensitivity dial and will even turn on for things as small as robins and
squirrels.

http://www.scatmat.com/Products/Scar...ent=videospage
Has video regarding the Scare Crow "motion detecting" sprinkler. Let us
know if you can find such in your neck of the world. ) ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website