Old 31-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Sam Hopkins

Default I have the answer to reducing evaporation

Hi Everyone,

First off let me say that normally I wouldn't post commercial
info on a newsgroup, but I think that we are all one big family here and
I'm not some person posting an ad and then never coming back. I just wanted
out with which reduces evaporation. Evaporation as you all know causes
countless top offs and as a few people here have posted, sometimes death
when we forget to turn the hose off. If you're a ponder with aquariums you
know that evaporation raises humidity and adds a certain smell to the room.
Evaporation is also responsible for countless other problems that we
generally don't associate it with.

The product is called "NO EVAPORATION!" and is available online
for purchase. It's pretty reasonable at $9.99 for a 30 week supply for ponds
and 100+ week supply for aquariums. For a limited time first time buyers can
get a bottle for free at our online store. It should also be available at
your local pet stores in the coming weeks.

You can order the product (or free bottle) or get more
information by going to our website at http://www.noevaporation.com

If you have any questions please let me know!

Sam

Old 31-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Janet & Hugh

Sounds just like the liquid solar blanket that is sold for swimming
pools....
Janet
Niagara Falls, ON

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
.. .
Hi Everyone,

First off let me say that normally I wouldn't post

commercial
info on a newsgroup, but I think that we are all one big family here and
I'm not some person posting an ad and then never coming back. I just

wanted

come
[...]

---

Old 31-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Sam Hopkins

Hi Janet,

The chemical compositions between the two products is quite
different. Our product is specifically meant for systems that contain
aquatic life.

Sam

Old 31-10-2003, 08:22 PM
MattR

You'll have to prove to me that this isn't complete noise. If it
prevents water from evaporating does it also prevent carbon dioxide from
evaporating? Does it prevent oxygen from entering the water? Most
evaporation probably comes from the same mechanism that aerates the
water (a water fall in my case) so how will this prevent water
evaporation in water falls? Not to mention that the water falls will
just continually rip it apart on the pond's surface. If it's only one
molecule thick and anything can poke through it, how will it smooth out
waves from the wind? Can you show me how much it will reduce
evaporation? Show me some independent analysis, not to mention what it
does to the ecosystem...

How will your product even out pond temperature? Evaporation cools a
pond during the day when there's more sun and heat than at night. Sounds
to me like your product will only keep the temperature higher, not more
even.

And about your "fish happy meter", based on the number of babies in my
pond, they're having too much fun as it is.

Matt

Old 31-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Sam Hopkins

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the questions. The membrane is O2 and CO2 permeable. It
reduces evaporation of water molecules. You are correct that evaporation
reduction probably will not occur in your waterfall and it definitely wont
when your water is blown into the air if you have a fountain. Any moving
water that is over 2-3 miles per hour will not be protected. However, most
waterfalls enter into one side of the pond. At the point where the water
would flow down and penetrate through the surface there would be no
protection, because as you state the surface is disrupted by a lot of force.
What would be protected is the rest of the pond. So if your pond was say 20
square feet and the waterfall disrupted 2 square feet when it re-entered,
you'd still have protection on the remaining 18 square feet. Remember,
evaporation is based on water surface area.

It smoothes waves from the wind by reducing surface tension. So to visualize
it think about the wind blowing over your water surface and slipping over it
opposed to pulling it and forming a wave. The product is non-toxic and
bio-degradable and has no impact to the eco-system.

We don't have an independent analysis but that's a good idea, thanks.

Evaporation reduction is up to 40%. To me at least, $9.99 for 40% less
topoffs is worth it.
Remember, this product is not meant to be placed into your pond and totally
eliminate all water maintenance. It is meant to reduce it and give you more
time to enjoy your fish.

Sam

Old 01-11-2003, 05:22 AM
MattR

"Bio degradable and non-toxic" is probably a good phrase you should put
somewhere on your web site. The 40% is also a good idea seeing as how
there are no numbers on your web site.

I can see this in an aquarium but in my pond most of the evaporation
occurs when the wind is blowing, and I'm close enough to Wyoming that
it's more than 3 miles/hour. It's more like 10-30mph for an average
windy day. The other thing that really increased evaporation is when I
had turbulent flow between my prefilter and biofilter. I could feel the
humidity from 5 feet away and this had nothing to do with the surface
area of the pond.

So, I'll pass, but good luck.

Matt

Old 02-11-2003, 06:22 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Hmmm, I image if one had a skimmer it would remove all the product?
~ jan

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:37:00 -0500, "Sam Hopkins" wrote:

[...]

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 03-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Sam Hopkins

Hi Matt,

Point well taken. I'll have this info added to the FAQ. Wind can be
more than 3 miles per hour and the product will still work. I should have
said moving ripply water more than 3 mph like you find in a water fall
wouldnt work.

Sam

Old 03-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Sam Hopkins

Shouldn't. Most skimmers/pond filters can't filter down to the molecular
level. Portions of the product would get sucked in, go through the system,
re-enter the pond and be re-added to the membrane. You would need to add an
extra amount of the product to compensate for the product that would be
moving through the filtering system though. My guess would be another drop
or two.

Sam

Old 03-11-2003, 05:02 PM
REBEL JOE

Attached Files
File Type: (110 Bytes, 57 views)

Old 03-11-2003, 05:22 PM
Sam Hopkins

Hello,

It's had over 2,000 hours of testing with live fish, plants and
even a turtle with no ill effects detected. It's important to note that the
product does not mix with water so the fish are not subjected to the product
(even though it is non-toxic).

Sam

"REBEL JOE" wrote in message
Has this been tested over a long time to make sure it won't hurt the
fish. Since its so new. Or the plants.

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

Old 03-11-2003, 05:42 PM
Kathleen

Sam Hopkins wrote:

Hello,

It's had over 2,000 hours of testing with live fish, plants and even
a turtle with no ill effects detected. It's important to note that
the product does not mix with water so the fish are not subjected to
the product (even though it is non-toxic).

2,000 hours. Just over 83 days. Not hardly long term from where I'm
sitting.

So this stuff just sort of floats on the surface of the water like an
oil slick?

What if you drop a fish through it from above, or a fish jumps through
it? Can it occlude their gills?

How does it affect reproduction? What does it do to eggs, insect
larvae, tadpoles?

Kathleen

Old 03-11-2003, 08:32 PM
Skooch

Kathleen wrote:
Sam Hopkins wrote:

Hello,

It's had over 2,000 hours of testing with live fish, plants and even
a turtle with no ill effects detected. It's important to note that
the product does not mix with water so the fish are not subjected to
the product (even though it is non-toxic).

2,000 hours. Just over 83 days. Not hardly long term from where I'm
sitting.

So this stuff just sort of floats on the surface of the water like an
oil slick?

What if you drop a fish through it from above, or a fish jumps through
it? Can it occlude their gills?

How does it affect reproduction? What does it do to eggs, insect
larvae, tadpoles?

Kathleen

;~) ;~) ;~) ;~) ;~) ;~) ;~) ;~) ;~) ;~) ;~) ;~) (~; (~;
(~; (~; (~; (~; (~; (~; (~; (~; (~; (~;

Hey Sam

I bet you'll never find a better product testing, and critiquing group
than here @ rec.ponds.
If this group could test a lot of the products being made, we might not
have as many recalls
or hazardous items released upon the public.

Maybe this group should beta test Bill Gates new windows operating
system " Long horn "
perhaps it could help the public avoid getting "gored" by the bull...
ahem... I mean Bill again. ;~)

VIVA la Lixux!!!
I only use windoze when I have to.
I'm beginning to hate windoze more every day.
(Now if i can ever get SUSE 9.0 to ftp install )

Chagoi

Http://www.ourkoipond.com
(under construction)

;~) ;~) ;~) ;~) ;~) ;~) ;~) ;~) ;~) ;~) ;~) ;~) (~; (~;
(~; (~; (~; (~; (~; (~; (~; (~; (~; (~;

Old 04-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Sam Hopkins

Hi Kathleen,

2,000 hours was deemed long enough because of the
characteristics of the product specifically:

* The product does not mix with water so the animal is not subjected to the
product.
* The product is only one molecule thick at any spot
* The product is non-toxic and bio-degradable
* The product contains compounds that are located within the animal itself

The product is not like an oil slick. The product floats on the surface of
the water but it is only one molecule thick. At this scale you can not see
it or feel it. The surface film on your pond is many thousand times thicker.
The product does not adhere to fish. If they would jump up through the
product they might have a few molecules on them while in the air but when
they re-entered the water these few molecules would detach and attempt to
rejoin the membrane above.

Sam