Old 07-11-2003, 11:32 PM
Ted

Default Water TEmp Question

I live in zone 9b, and my water temp in the winter only gets into the low
50's. Is it necessary at that temp to turn my waterfall off? I have a
bottom drain where my external pump sucks the water from.

Thanks,
Lisa

--
o_o_o_o
/| ,[_____],
|ŻŻŻL --O|||||||O-
()_)Ż()_) ŻŻŻŻŻ )_)

Thanks,
Ted

Old 08-11-2003, 01:12 AM
dhponder

Ted wrote:
I live in zone 9b, and my water temp in the winter only gets into the low
50's. Is it necessary at that temp to turn my waterfall off? I have a
bottom drain where my external pump sucks the water from.

Thanks,
Lisa

Just my opinion, I would leave the waterfall going. Freezing should not
be a problem for you and the extra oxygen created should be beneficial
to the fish.

deanna

Old 08-11-2003, 01:22 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

We leave ours on all the time. Even in winter when it does freeze. No
problem at 50!

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley
"Ted" wrote in message
I live in zone 9b, and my water temp in the winter only gets into the low
50's. Is it necessary at that temp to turn my waterfall off? I have a
bottom drain where my external pump sucks the water from.

Thanks,
Lisa

--
o_o_o_o
/| ,[_____],
|ŻŻŻL --O|||||||O-
()_)Ż()_) ŻŻŻŻŻ )_)

Thanks,
Ted

Old 08-11-2003, 04:12 AM
BenignVanilla

"Ted" wrote in message
I live in zone 9b, and my water temp in the winter only gets into the low
50's. Is it necessary at that temp to turn my waterfall off? I have a
bottom drain where my external pump sucks the water from.

snip

It seems that this is a hotly contested topic. At least it was last fall
when I joined the group. OMIGOD, I've been here a year now! Yeeha. Anyway,
there are two crowds of IMRIGHTYERWRONG thought. One group believes that
once your water reaches 50ish you stop feeding and stop filtering. Without
feeding your fish will produce less waste and therefore not filtering is OK.
In addition by circulating your water, you move the cold top water down to
the lower warm water. The other school of thought thinks the opposite,
filter your water, turn it over, stir it up, whatever.

In my experience, both schools have been successful, and I have not seen
empirical evidence supporting either argument. I for one have my pump shut
off...but...that is because my stream is still leaking, and I don't feel
like fixing it until Spring. That doesn't help does it?

BV.

Old 08-11-2003, 09:42 AM
Theo van Daele

BV,

I can empirically measure the temp differences at surface level with a
digital (very accurate) temp sensor, and do the same at the bottom (6 to 7
ft)

I've been doing this for 6 months now, and the maximum difference I've seen
is 0.2 degrees...

Of course, "wind-chill" may play a bigger role in winter, so covering up
will surely help.

Also, emperically (when talking about koi, there's always a difference) it
has been found that if in summer the total digestive organs take about 18 %
of a koi's body weight, after 3 to 4 months without feeding (and filtering)
that goes down to 3% (). This is also the reason why the mortality
rate of koi that have not been fed for a long time is so high in spring.
They have been consuming their own fat (which also contains the toxins that
somehow got into the pond), are very hungry, but just can't digest the food
that they can catch and eating actually gives them less energy (they have to
build up their organs again) than not eating (and they are already weakened
from not eating/sulking at the bottom)

Finally, you can emperically measure (again, talking koi) the difference in
growth rates between feeding or not feeding. Problem is, you can't really
feed them at temps lower than say 7°C, so you are kinda stuck with heating
the pond.

Not arguing mind you, and we should always distinguish between koi and more
"native" fish. It can be argued that japanese Koi are a subtropical (or
even tropical) fish, quite different from our native carp species (these
evolved via selection to harsher and longer winters)

Bear in mind that my fish have survived 3 winters without any
feeding/filtration, so it's not a black/white thing, but there are very good
arguments for keeping your pond/filter going 24/7/12.

Theo

"BenignVanilla" schreef in bericht

Old 08-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Mouse

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

"Ted" wrote in message
[...]

Does mother nature turn off her waterfalls when the temperature hits 50?
:-).
Mine run all year, the small amount of heat from the pump and the warmer
water from the bottom of the pond keep a small area of surface open. Here in
the UK I can have between 3 and 9inches of ice in mid winter.
Mike
UK

---

Old 09-11-2003, 03:02 PM

GF and carp are native to places that dont typically have water falls. Ingrid

"Mouse" wrote:
Does mother nature turn off her waterfalls when the temperature hits 50?
:-).

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:02 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

But BV after only a year can you really say, "I have not seen
empirical evidence supporting either argument." ? ;o)

What has been found is that those in colder zones 7 and less that keep
their ponds running full blast all winter have had fish deaths in the
spring to early summer. Some folks think that they've had no problems
because the fish didn't die during the winter, when the proof of the
pudding is having ALL fish survive by summer.... crossing successfully over
aeromonas alley. ~ jan

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 23:02:50 -0500, "BenignVanilla"
[...]

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 13-11-2003, 04:32 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Ted" wrote in message
I live in zone 9b, and my water temp in the winter only gets into the low
50's. Is it necessary at that temp to turn my waterfall off? I have a
bottom drain where my external pump sucks the water from.

=================
I shut off the big pumps (I have 2 ponds) that run the show in summer. In
winter I leave a smaller 250 gph pump running in a corner of each pond to
keep an opening in the ice, if any. I'm in zone 7 but most winters here
are not that severe. They're too high and away from the deepest areas to
mix the water levels. The fish all just hang out at the deepest spot all
winter.
--
Carol.....
Don't go for looks; they can deceive.

good average water temp? Shagster Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 06-06-2005 12:03 PM
Plant water temp? Sam Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 27-07-2004 04:06 PM
Water temp question Lee Brouillet Ponds 10 18-05-2003 01:20 AM
water temp for plants *muffin* Ponds 3 17-05-2003 01:44 PM
Water temp question jammer Ponds 5 09-02-2003 02:43 AM