Old 19-11-2003, 08:44 PM
Gareee©

Default Caught a crayfish today!

Hanging around our homemade stream.

Should I keep him as a pet, or release him? He's bright red/orange, and I
did some web hunting on him.

He's cute (think Sebastian from Little mermaid)

http://webpages.charter.net/gareee/sabastian_pet.jpg

Here's what I sent to the wife at work...

--
Gareee©
Homepage:

Old 19-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Sam Hopkins

You should introduce him to my crayfish. Check her out at:

http://www.tiversa.com/pond/p2.jpg

Sam

Old 20-11-2003, 06:00 PM
Gareee©

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
.. .
Makes you think twice about walking alone near your pond late at night. =)

I like the red one though. We dont have those around where. They are

either
grey or redish but not beat happy red.

Sam

I think we're gonna keep him, and give him an aquarium. We also like him
becuase he's bright red, and he's very active!

Now I get to aquarium hunt...

Old 20-11-2003, 06:03 PM
K30a

We kept a crayfish in an aquarium.
He liked to hang out in a little toy
aquarium cave. A real character.

He turned out to be a she when she
had lots of tiny little babies!!!

Nobody survived to grow up.
We were in the middle of a huge academic
competition and if it happened again I would
get on the internet and see what baby food
baby crayfish need.

k30a
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html

Old 21-11-2003, 03:22 AM
jammer

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:22:55 -0500, "Gareee©"
wrote:

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
. ..
Makes you think twice about walking alone near your pond late at night. =)

I like the red one though. We dont have those around where. They are

either
grey or redish but not beat happy red.

Sam

I think we're gonna keep him, and give him an aquarium. We also like him
becuase he's bright red, and he's very active!

Now I get to aquarium hunt...

Have you looked up the care of this particular kind? If he was at the
stream he probably would be a lot happier where he was. They like
moving water.

Old 23-11-2003, 12:44 AM
Hal

Crayfish are scavengers and will eat whatever they find. If it is
small they kill it. I don't think they will eat toad tadpole, but
they will try to catch a fish as big as they are when confined in an
aquarium. They will eat fish food and bits of meat, bugs if they can
catch them.

If you see him on top of something with one claw out of the water he
is probably waiting for a bug to light on it.

If you see his skeleton leave it in the water he may eat it to grow
the new shell.

Regards,

Hal

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:39:42 -0500, "Gareee©"
wrote:

There seems to be contention about thier diets.. some people say small meats
of some kind, others say mainly vegitation.

Kinda surprising how little info is really accessable on these little
critters.

Old 26-11-2003, 06:23 PM
KenCo

"Gareee©" wrote:

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
.. .
You should introduce him to my crayfish. Check her out at:

http://www.tiversa.com/pond/p2.jpg

Sam

Dang! I didn't know they got that big!

some get the size of Lobsters.
all are good to eat

--
Gareee©
Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm
Custom Figures, Wallpapers and more!

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121
Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced

Old 26-11-2003, 06:32 PM
Sam Hopkins

"Gareee©" wrote in message
"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
.. .
You should introduce him to my crayfish. Check her out at:

http://www.tiversa.com/pond/p2.jpg

Sam

Dang! I didn't know they got that big!

--
Gareee©
Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm
Custom Figures, Wallpapers and more!

crayfish and freshwater mussels Steve Ponds 4 31-03-2011 07:58 PM
This caught the corner of my eye on the way to the gym today - DSC_3248a.jpg (1/1) joevan[_3_] Garden Photos 3 30-05-2010 11:15 PM
Freshwater shrimp, crabs and crayfish Frank M. Greco Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 18-07-2003 11:17 AM
KAAA-RAZY crayfish Sam Hopkins Ponds 8 06-07-2003 03:32 AM
Freshwater shrimp, crabs and crayfish Frank M. Greco Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 12-06-2003 05:08 PM