Old 26-11-2003, 01:22 AM
Tracey

Default wildlife pond edging?

I am planning a new wildlife pond in the spring. I would like to
avoid the "ring of rocks " look. I know that with the right planting
and time the rocks would look more natural, but i was thinking about
putting dirt/turf over the edge. I would like to have a very natural
look where the plants just grow right on into the pond. I was
thinking that the water level could go up and down and that would
allow the barn swallows and other birds and insects some mud for
building. Has anyone here done this? I would love to see some pics.
What are the problems with this edging?

There are more web sites in the UK about doing this then I seem to
find in the US. Most of those web sites have no fish. Anyone here go
Fishless? I would love to hear from some of you that have tried this.

This will be my second pond and I want to plan this one out better
than I did the first one. Thanks so much for any help or ideas.

Tracey
Old 26-11-2003, 02:05 AM
formerly K30a

I have both turf and rock over the edges of
my ponds. There are pictures in my website
but I'm not sure you can see it very well.

When I add water the fish love to spend their
time at the turf areas as the insects are
washed into the pond. Two iris seeds took
root in the turf and now I have plants growing
there.

Ka30P
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 26-11-2003, 05:14 PM

turf works great, but make it your own turf, nothing you buy that will have been
sprayed with every kind of pesticide on earth. also, think about water celery as a
nice growth along the edge of the pond. it can get a bit rampant, otoh, it covers
the edge of the pond really nicely. right, you attract birds dont put in fish.
Ingrid

(Tracey) wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 27-11-2003, 02:12 AM
Tracey

I think I will leave all of the edges under dirt and will plant some
marginals along the edges in the dirt. I don't know alot about
setting up a bog, but I think I will look into putting a bog along the
side of the pond for a natural look. How much water will be "wicked"
away? Will I need to replace more water? I only need to replace water
in my other pond when we have very windy days, or if it does not rain
for a long time. If i put enough dirt into the edge of the pond maybe
that would allow for more flucuations in the water level.

Tracey

Old 27-11-2003, 02:32 AM
Ka30P

I never noticed any wicking problem
but then I ran the pond with a turf edge
from day one.

I love my bogs but with plants planted
directly in the bog you have to do weeding
and it can be hard work. Luckily I have
two teenage boys who do it for me.

Old 29-11-2003, 04:32 AM
BenignVanilla

"Tracey" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I overlapped my liner about 18 inches or so on the ground, and then laid sod
around the pond. On one side, I laid small slate pieces over the edge of the
pond to support the turf temporarily. I also tried one area without support,
and it didn't take very well, so I think in the spring, I'll add some small
slate over there.

I think I may have a picture or two of the edging during construction,
http://www.darofamily.com/jeff/topic...8%2C%20 2003.

--
BV.
WebPorgmaster

Fixing Pond Edging bbrown9506 Ponds 1 06-08-2005 09:11 PM
Pond Edging Finish 2pods Ponds 6 17-07-2004 12:08 AM
Pond Edging Finish 2pods Ponds 7 10-07-2004 04:07 PM
Pond edging plants Steve Jackson United Kingdom 2 20-02-2003 09:33 PM