Old 07-12-2003, 09:34 PM
William Oertell

Default To feed or not to feed

Hi all. I just found this newsgroup, and being the owner of a
relatively new pond, look forward to participating in it for awhile.
My question, we have a 1,000 gal pond with about 11 goldfish in it.
(We stocked 12 but one didn't make the transition). We live in
Roseville, which is just outside Sacramento, CA. It gets into the 100's
in the summer and down to the 40's in the winter, with a few nights in
the 30's. Should we feed the fish once-in-awhile or let them eat
whatever floats into the pond? I'm concerned that fish food might
promote algae, which during the cool winter is an ongoing problem, but
I'm also concerned that the fish may not find enough to eat, too.
FWIW, the equipment is from Aquascapes and I regularly spike the pond
with the algae eating bacteria they sell. I'm thinking of buying their
liquid, as opposed to powder, bacteria. It's more quickly acting than
the powder.
Thanks!

Bill
Old 07-12-2003, 11:31 PM
Hal

What is your water temperature?

I don't believe you can starve 11 goldfish in a 1000 gallon pond with
a few plants if you don't feed them at all. However, I like feeding
mine and they continue to grow a little during the winter. Check the
water temperature before feeding. Fish have more difficulty
digesting high protein foods in cold water.

I feed mine wheat germ (Spring and Winter feed.) when the water
temperature gets below 50 or so and they slow down on the amount of
food they eat. They continue to eat this food until the water
temperature gets a bit below 40 and they line up on the bottom and
don't eat until the water warms again, which for me is usually only a
few days. Zone 8 Georgia.

Regards,

Hal

Old 08-12-2003, 12:42 AM
William Oertell

Water temperature varies. Right now it's about 58 degrees, but a few week
ago during a "cold snap" the pond got down to 42 degrees. The only plants
in the pond right now are potted plants. The nurseries around here don't
see to have a lot of water plants, except for water lilies, and we don't
really want those. We'd kind of like to have something that can grow in the
pond gravel.

Old 08-12-2003, 01:33 AM
GrannyGrump

see to have a lot of water plants, except for water lilies, and we don't
really want those. We'd kind of like to have something that can grow in the
pond gravel.

Water lilies can grow in the gravel.

Old 08-12-2003, 07:43 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Goldfish will eat algae, so if you have plenty growing in the winter, don't
worry about feeding them, they will keep it mowed and it is very
digestible. ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 09-12-2003, 03:32 AM
Hal

If your water temperature goes into the 30's for a few days the fish
may stop eating. That is nothing to worry about fish live under the
ice up North for three and four months without being fed. You fish
will be fine. Mine are big enough to move the stones out of my lily
pots now and get to whatever is in the dirt in the pots. Yours are
probably checking out the pots too.

I have parrot feather that likes cool weather and grows in gravel
about 18" below the surface of the plant pond. It has been hit by
freezing temperatures the past few days, but it lives even when the
top of the pond is coated with a thin sheet of ice. You might like
it too.

Regards,

Hal

Old 09-12-2003, 09:02 PM
William Oertell

Thanks for the info. I'll remember not to feed when the pond temp gets
below 40. It's 38 right now. (I just went out to put some more algae
eating bacteria in the pond. It's looking a bit green).