GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Suitable fish for outdoor pond (62-71 degrees) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/48898-suitable-fish-outdoor-pond-62-71-degrees.html)

Han Chung 20-12-2003 07:33 AM

Suitable fish for outdoor pond (62-71 degrees)

Hi,

Apart from Koi and Goldfish, what other fish can I keep in an outdoor
pond that can handle the water temperatures at least 9 months of the
year?

I live in Sydney, and in summer, the water temperature is typically
~71 degrees. In winter, the water temperature is ~62 degrees. The
pond I am building to keep them in will be about 450 gallons and 3.5
feet deep.

Han.

Charles 20-12-2003 07:42 AM

Suitable fish for outdoor pond (62-71 degrees)

On 19 Dec 2003 23:29:19 -0800, (Han Chung)
wrote:

Hi,

Apart from Koi and Goldfish, what other fish can I keep in an outdoor
pond that can handle the water temperatures at least 9 months of the
year?

I live in Sydney, and in summer, the water temperature is typically
~71 degrees. In winter, the water temperature is ~62 degrees. The
pond I am building to keep them in will be about 450 gallons and 3.5
feet deep.

Han.

Off hand I think of White Cloud Mountain fish and Paradise fish, but
how would rainbow fish handle that temperature range. They are native
to that part of the world, no? I realize that Northern Australia is
different from southern Australia, but from here it all looks the
same.
:-)

--

- Charles
-

Rich Conley 23-12-2003 07:33 PM

Suitable fish for outdoor pond (62-71 degrees)

If you could keep it the winter at about 68-70....cichlids, and most
tropicals for that matter would do fine (just stay away from angels and
discus types that like their water in the high 80s)....

I keep my africans at 72-74 for most of the year, and they are breeding
like cichlids....which is almost as slow as rabbits....